Fabien's open letter to the community

General discussion about computer chess...
Harvey Williamson

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Harvey Williamson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:13 pm

Terry McCracken wrote: I've passed this information to ChessBase as well.
Terry please send by PM or email to me also will see what I can do.

thorstenczub

Post by thorstenczub » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Prima wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:Fabien is now posting personally in CCC :D .
You beat me to the punch, Mathias :D. Fabien could not post due to account activation-period. Indeed, Fabien Letouzy is now able to post directly in CCC forum http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 99&t=37762

To all experts, here's that chance to get the truth openly, since Vas would not say anything or admit to anything despite the facts proving the obvious: all Rybkas are derived from & related to Fruit. Personally, I've always believed the words of computer/programming experts and "code analyser etc" as facts and the truth in the case of Fruit-Strelka-Rybka and Rybka's general origins.

Hearing these facts (whatever these facts may be) openly confirmed by Mr. Fabien Letouzy will settle the case once and for all. The so-call "moral/ethical troops" who 'happen' to be Rybka-fan boys/Chessbase Sysops/Certain forum moderatos seem to be awfully silent now - a big 180 degree-turn from their usual "sureness" and censorship/banning or people with regards to the origins and legitimacy of Rybka. To the point they even ban IvanHoe/RobboLito/FireBird, and now Houdini, from playchess and tournaments, without facts.
you mean the soldateska out of witch hunters and blackmailers is suddenly losing their "autothority" ?

they burned the wrong people.
what will they do now ?
burn themselves ?
what shall we do with the mc_carthy board ?

thorstenczub

Post by thorstenczub » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Prima wrote:Just what Dr. Rober (Bob) Hyatt and other reputable computer/programmers have been saying for years and now confirmed by Mr. Fabien Letouzy
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 31&t=37762
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 56&t=37762

what shall we do with the self alleged cloning hunters who hunted the wrong people,
blackmailed and censored computerchess boards for years ?
what shall we do with these mc_carthy dirt, those gestapo-guys with the narcistic personality disorder ?

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:31 pm

The unfortunate thing about the discussions I've been reading: it seems clear that people are still willing to close their eyes, ears and minds to anything they don't care to accept. It's essentially he said, he said -- if you were inclined to believe Bob Hyatt's characterization of Rybka 1's origins, Fabien's letter is just another nail in that coffin. If you thought Bob was full of shit and never were prepared to accept that Vasik did anything wrong, Fabien's letter is exclusively about Strelka and what does it have to do with Rybka? And anyway, we're at Rybka 4 now and can't bygones be bygones? And so on. A double-standard at its ugliest, IMO.

So I doubt this will change anything, and the "signifying nothing" part of BB+'s assessment is probably true. I take exception to the "idiot" part, though. Fabien is uniquely qualified to determine the identity of his algorithms.

Juri Osipov will probably retain his (frustrating,) cryptic, tell-nothing stance, preventing further understanding of the relationship between Rybka and Strelka, and leaving this all in the realm of speculation, despite any further claims by Fabien.

Nevertheless, an unexpected development in this long, borderline boring story.

Jeremy

thorstenczub

Post by thorstenczub » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Prima wrote: The so-call "moral/ethical troops" who 'happen' to be Rybka-fan boys/Chessbase Sysops/Certain forum moderatos seem to be awfully silent now - a big 180 degree-turn from their usual "sureness" and censorship/banning or people with regards to the origins and legitimacy of Rybka.
Please point to any post where I have ever appeared to be a Rybka fanboy?
(bold lettering in quote by me)
YOU hunted "cloning"-posts, cloning-links and banned people because they "supported"
cloners.
You are one of these guys throwing the first stone on the witch, you are one of those
guys watching when the hangman is doing his job.
you are one of those people calling for more blood when the torturer "finds out the truth".
Your forum, your job as SYSOP for chessbase on the server. you were one of those people
supporting methods of the cloning-gestapo.
now - how are you looking today harvey.

Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote: I've passed this information to ChessBase as well.
Terry please send by PM or email to me also will see what I can do.
It's okay Harvey, thanks. The moderator there said there were other threads addressing this subject. I'm not sure where so I've asked him to direct me to them. I'll see if he does or not.

Best,
Terry

thorstenczub

Post by thorstenczub » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:43 pm

your book ?

how you supported the mc carthy board, as a sysop, as a moderator, as somebody CARING for commercial computerchess, you suddenly are somebody who supported a person who broke GPL.

suddenly you are on the wrong side of the bridge harvey.

why don't you make a radio show out of it. How i helped the fools to hide the truth ....

BB+

Post by BB+ » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:09 pm

A double-standard at its ugliest, IMO.
This has always been the crux of the matter for many.
So I doubt this will change anything, and the "signifying nothing" part of BB+'s assessment is probably true.
That quotation was from near the end of Shakespeare's MacBeth (V.5.28-30).
Nevertheless, an unexpected development in this long, borderline boring story.
I think the Bard has you beat for grandiloquence ;) If nothing else, the events that transpired certainly meant that I was less productive yesterday than I might have expected.
Juri Osipov will probably retain his (frustrating,) cryptic, tell-nothing stance, preventing further understanding of the relationship between Rybka and Strelka
I spent a rather large amount of time at some point tracking down various Russian posts, and I'd have to agree that Osipov remains an enigma.

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:15 pm

thorstenczub wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Prima wrote: The so-call "moral/ethical troops" who 'happen' to be Rybka-fan boys/Chessbase Sysops/Certain forum moderatos seem to be awfully silent now - a big 180 degree-turn from their usual "sureness" and censorship/banning or people with regards to the origins and legitimacy of Rybka.
Please point to any post where I have ever appeared to be a Rybka fanboy?
(bold lettering in quote by me)
YOU hunted "cloning"-posts, cloning-links and banned people because they "supported"
cloners.
You are one of these guys throwing the first stone on the witch, you are one of those
guys watching when the hangman is doing his job.
you are one of those people calling for more blood when the torturer "finds out the truth".
Your forum, your job as SYSOP for chessbase on the server. you were one of those people
supporting methods of the cloning-gestapo.
now - how are you looking today harvey.
Be nice if you had at least 1 fact before posting. How do you know what goes on on Playchess? You do not log in there all your evidence is hear say. My 'job' and the only one I receive any money from has nothing to do with Chess. I do not even have a website with a donation button like some. Please post some facts or some proof about any of this. Unless you are just going to use 2nd hand evidence from the Frayer Triad?

ps. I look bad. 2 hours sleep last night after a weekend in wijk before an 0430 start at work today. But the trip was worth it :) Better than just waiting to stalk my next post. There is more to life Thor....

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:40 pm

There's some discussion about Vasik's alleged claim that he spoke to Fabien at some point about potential GPL issues wrt Fruit. I've been searching and here's the best I could find... In fact, the only real quote I could find wasn't Vasik at all, but Stefan Meyer Kahlen... Maybe I'm just missing the correct interview.

(http://www.superchessengine.com/interviews.htm)
20.06.2005, Stefan Meyer Kahlen

Q: After first results the new Fruit 2.1 could be very close to the best commercial chess engines, even to Shredder 9. What is more scaring for you, Fabien Letouzey himself or the GPL behind Fruit?

A: I have to admit that I have not yet downloaded and tested Fruit 2.1. From what I have heard so far it seems to be quite strong so I will certainly take a look at it. I have already had a short email conversation with Fabien. He seems to be a nice guy so there should be no reason to be afraid :-)
Also I see no problems with the GPL license behind Fruit. If others will be able to find some ideas in Fruit there is probably also some inspiration for me. As far as I know taking ideas from GPL licensed software is ok. The best motivation for me to further improve Shredder is, if someone is overtaking Shredder at the top of the rating lists or will beat Shredder badly in a match. So my personal judgement about Fruit is not negative but positive. The only negative point is that the clone problem in tournaments might be bigger now, but there should be a solution for this.