ComStock 1.0.2 Stockfish with robobases

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
BB+

Re: ComStock 1.0.2 Stockfish with robobases

Post by BB+ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:54 am

OK, now I'm just confused as to why Fruit 2.1 doesn't have this problem. When I use fgets in the "getme.cpp" function, it says that input_available() is false.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:10 am

I figured out why my Fruit simulator failed, as I did not do:

Code: Select all

void util_init() {
   setvbuf(stdin,NULL,_IONBF,0);
   setvbuf(stdout,NULL,_IONBF,0); // _IOLBF breaks on Windows!                  
}
Adding the same to "getme.cpp" (and thus to Stockfish, I presume) solves the problem.

EDIT: Indeed, by putting the above two lines after init_threads() in the main Stockfish function, it now realises that data is still available when "go infinite\nstop\n" is sent and the first "go infinite" has been read by getline(). The only downside is that it takes a full second to actually stop, presumably because the polling is rather slow?! :shock:
Attachments
getme.cpp
Version including setvbuf, and now input_available() returns true, as desired.
(781 Bytes) Downloaded 110 times

Michel Van den Bergh

Post by Michel Van den Bergh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:47 am

I realize that my own explanation why Fruit/Linux doesn't have a problem was somewhat wrong. "select" uses file descriptors
instead of file pointers. So it cannot know about the buffer associated to a file pointer. But as was pointed out Fruit/Linux uses unbuffered I/O. So the only buffer associated with a pipe in this case is the kernel buffer. And of course select knows about that one. But so does PeekNamedPipe. So intrinsically I don't see why Linux and Windows should behave differently.

mcostalba

Post by mcostalba » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:13 pm

BB+ wrote:I think I have a better grasp of the problem.
You have done a lot of tests but still I have not understood if you have tried adding my above suggested code to data_available() .....

BB+

Post by BB+ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:24 pm

You have done a lot of tests but still I have not understood if you have tried adding my above suggested code to data_available()...
No I did not, as it was Windows only, no? At least it is in Fruit, and I don't see how to reference "stdin->_cnt" in Linux in any event.

I think the only fix you need is (as per Fruit) to add something like the following in the Stockfish startup:

void util_init() {
}
Then "stdin" should be unbuffered, and this gets around the problem of the buffers getting the "stop" part of "go infinite\nstop\n", or whatever was happening.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:00 pm

GreKo presumably works correctly (in Unix) due to the setbuf calls on startup:

void InitInput()
{
        out("init input...\n");

is_pipe = !isatty (0); 
        if (is_pipe)
        {
                signal(SIGINT, SIG_IGN); 
        }

setbuf(stdout, NULL);
        setbuf(stdin, NULL);
}
So this is essentially the same as Fruit.
The code in Stockfish is:

cout.rdbuf()->pubsetbuf(NULL, 0);
  cin.rdbuf()->pubsetbuf(NULL, 0);
But this doesn't seem to do the job (and I don't really know why -- I tested it in getme.cpp, and data_available() returned 0). Replacing this with setbuf or setvbuf does the trick.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:30 pm

Here's the example stripped down to almost nothing. I attach an archive with "make.sh", "getme.cpp", and "testfunc.c".
The third is the programme that sends "go infinite\nstop\n", the second has a compile switch:

#ifdef FRUIT // as in Fruit/GreKo                                               
  cout << "Using setvbuf [Fruit]" << endl;
#else // as in Stockfish                                                        
  cout.rdbuf()->pubsetbuf(NULL, 0);
  cin.rdbuf()->pubsetbuf(NULL, 0);
  cout << "Using cin.rdbuf()->pubsetbuf [Stockfish]" << endl;
#endif
so that the only difference is how the buffers are set, and the first file (make.sh) simply compiles the programmes and runs them. Here is the output (at least on my machine, Fedora Core 11):

$ sh make.sh
Using setvbuf [Fruit]
Read input: go infinite
input_available() is 1
Read input: stop
Using cin.rdbuf()->pubsetbuf [Stockfish]
Read input: go infinite
input_available() is 0
Read input: stop
Again, I don't know the ins and outs of this and perhaps it should work either way, but not for me.
Attachments
BUFFERS.7z
7zip archive, 3 files
To demonstrate that cin.rdbuf()->pubsetbuf() and setvbuf() are not the same
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

BB+

Post by BB+ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:50 pm

From the lovely C++ standard (emphasis added):
27.6.2.2.2 Buffer management and positioning [streambuf.buffer]
basic_streambuf<char_type,traits>* pubsetbuf(char_type* s, streamsize n);
Returns: setbuf(s, n).
27.6.2.4.2 Buffer management and positioning [streambuf.virt.buffer]
basic_streambuf* setbuf(char_type* s, streamsize n);
Effects: Influences stream buffering in a way that is defined separately for each class derived from basic_streambuf in this Clause (27.8.1.4, 27.9.1.5).
Default behavior: Does nothing. Returns this.
So it might be that "pubsetbuf" is simply doing nothing, or at least it seems to be "implementation-defined", whereas setvbuf seems to be at least well-defined as to the behaviour. However, I could be wrong about something here.

EDIT: Actually, it seems that the more relevant might be
27.9.1.5.12 basic_streambuf* setbuf(char_type* s, streamsize n);
Effects: If setbuf(0,0) is called on a stream before any I/O has occurred on that stream, the stream becomes unbuffered. Otherwise the results are implementation-defined. “Unbuffered” means that pbase() and pptr() always return null and output to the file should appear as soon as possible.
In any event, as select is from a C library in any event, it makes more sense to me to use setvbuf rather than the C++ solution.

mcostalba

Post by mcostalba » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

BB+ wrote:I figured out why my Fruit simulator failed, as I did not do:

void util_init() {
}
Adding the same to "getme.cpp" (and thus to Stockfish, I presume) solves the problem.
Thanks ! Patch applied.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:52 pm

I tried building this in Windows, but no success -- will try again this coming weekend. No issue with Linux however.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen