A Talkchess thread: Misinformation being spread

General discussion about computer chess...
Prima

Re: A Talkchess thread: Misinformation being spread

Post by Prima » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:33 am

Uly wrote:
Prima wrote:The fact is dates, time, and an entire data are easily modified and manipulated.
It's also a fact that these happen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory
Hardly.

What is so confusing (or false recall) about Naum4.1 and DS12 actually surpassing Rybka 2.3.2a in its late reign? Released in 2009, both DS12 and Naum4.1's (released in 1/10/2010?) performance over Rybka2.3.2a was not listed in their CCRL list until later in 2010. The fact that Naum4.1's and DS12's good performance over Rybka2.3.2a were not listed in 2009's /early-mid 2010 lists - which would have been relevant at that time-frame, is the issue.

Take care Uly (Vytron).

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:40 am

Prima wrote:
The fact is dates, time, and an entire data are easily modified and manipulated.

Best,
Prima.
I can't confirm it...also, if you believe it to be true but don't have something to show then it's best to leave it alone until you can gather something -- just a thought...
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Uly

Post by Uly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:20 am

Prima, I see the issue as you accusing the CCRL of falsifying, modifying and manipulating data just to prove you wrong, THAT is hard to believe.

stvs

Post by stvs » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:40 am

Uly wrote:Prima, I see the issue as you accusing the CCRL of falsifying, modifying and manipulating data just to prove you wrong, THAT is hard to believe.
see also if ccc monitoring the privacy of members, from ccc:
( Yes, it's quite obvious isn't it? I wonder how many are actually the same people using multiple accounts through proxy servers?)

will be a very serious and interesting case from now...

orgfert

Post by orgfert » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:24 am

Prima wrote:Thanks Jeremy.

I know it's good to get to the bottom-line of the matter. The fact is dates, time, and an entire data are easily modified and manipulated.

Best,
Prima.
I don't know why anyone would credit CCRL in the first place. I don't like their methodology regardless of whether there's an agenda (I don't credit the accusation, BTW. None of 'em smart enough to work one out) -- ripping out native books, forcing alien books, removing TBs and pondering strategies from of the mix, etc. Testing programs like that may make it easy for the testers, but for objective evaluation of the total product, it blows chunks.

Chris Whittington

Post by Chris Whittington » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:19 pm

stvs wrote:
Uly wrote:Prima, I see the issue as you accusing the CCRL of falsifying, modifying and manipulating data just to prove you wrong, THAT is hard to believe.
( Yes, it's quite obvious isn't it? I wonder how many are actually the same people using multiple accounts through proxy servers?)

anyone who logs into talkchess has their IP address automatically displayed for all moderators to see. anyone who allows their IP address to be seen by Conkie, and by extension Banks and co needs their head examining imo. you are reminded that one of the reasons Jeremy quit and set up this site was because of serious abuse of this IP information by Banks, Conkie and their friends in CTF. Those guys are paranoid lunatics.

orgfert

Post by orgfert » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Chris Whittington wrote:
stvs wrote:

anyone who logs into talkchess has their IP address automatically displayed for all moderators to see. anyone who allows their IP address to be seen by Conkie, and by extension Banks and co needs their head examining imo. you are reminded that one of the reasons Jeremy quit and set up this site was because of serious abuse of this IP information by Banks, Conkie and their friends in CTF. Those guys are paranoid lunatics.
Any admin at this site can see this info too. You forget that Thorsten abused his position as mod to distribute the contents of private conversations to his friends and to fraudulently admit his friends under duplicate accounts on CCC. Yet he is respected here. One may easily conclude that most people here don't really care about IP snooping or abusing mod positions. They only care about whether it is done by their friends or not.

Chris Whittington

Post by Chris Whittington » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:41 pm

orgfert wrote:
Chris Whittington wrote:
stvs wrote:

Any admin at this site can see this info too. You forget that Thorsten abused his position as mod to distribute the contents of private conversations to his friends and to fraudulently admit his friends under duplicate accounts on CCC. Yet he is respected here. One may easily conclude that most people here don't really care about IP snooping or abusing mod positions. They only care about whether it is done by their friends or not.
Why are you abusing the forum rules?

Members on OpenChess:
1. Are encouraged to use their real names when registering, although this isn't mandatory
2. May only have one account.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:46 pm

orgfert wrote:
Chris Whittington wrote:
stvs wrote:

As I've stated before, any moderator who misuses personal identification data on OpenChess is out. As in banned, forever. Hausverbot.

I don't know Thorsten's history on CCC, but he's not a moderator here. I take privacy fairly seriously, and the juvenile stuff that happens at CCC will not happen here. The fact that it a) happened repeatedly at CCC, b) was known and tolerated by the TCAdmin and c) promised to continue catalyzed, to some extent, the decision to create OpenChess.

The mods here ensure, more than anything, that you don't have to read spam. Your guilt-by-association argument -- that the mere presence of Thorsten as a member of the site implies that we play fast and loose with your data -- is ridiculous.

Jeremy

orgfert

Post by orgfert » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
orgfert wrote:
Chris Whittington wrote:
stvs wrote:

As I've stated before, any moderator who misuses personal identification data on OpenChess is out. As in banned, forever. Hausverbot.

I don't know Thorsten's history on CCC, but he's not a moderator here. I take privacy fairly seriously, and the juvenile stuff that happens at CCC will not happen here. The fact that it a) happened repeatedly at CCC, b) was known and tolerated by the TCAdmin and c) promised to continue catalyzed, to some extent, the decision to create OpenChess.
You should remember that Thorsten's misconduct was also known and tolerated by TCAdmin (the rules don't allow him to contravene elected mods). He left it up to the membership to handle it in election process according to the charter.
Jeremy Bernstein wrote: The mods here ensure, more than anything, that you don't have to read spam. Your guilt-by-association argument -- that the mere presence of Thorsten as a member of the site implies that we play fast and loose with your data -- is ridiculous.

Jeremy
The culture of this website has CCC bashing as an active ingredient. You do it. Others do it. None of you seem to have minded when Thorsten posted contents of the CCC mod forum to his friends and fellow CCC members to whom that forum was confidential. This is public knowledge and not a secret. It is public knowledge that Thorsten tried to get duplicate accounts for his friend, Chris Whittington under the fake name Klaus Fichte. But nobody here cares about that. They insult Banks and Conkie, but respect Thorsten. This hypocrisy is part of Open Chess culture.

I don't think Banks, Conkie or Czub should EVER be mods, but they were elected by the members under the rules, and the rules dictate that only the members have the power to do anything about it.