Houdini 1.5 Gaviota Tablebases

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
ralunger

Re: Houdini 1.5 Gaviota Tablebases

Post by ralunger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:20 am

Robert Houdart wrote: You also need to install the kqkr.gtb.cp4 file, Houdini needs to find it to know which compression level (.cp4 in this case) you're using.

Thank you sir for answering my question but is this the only file i need to install? I've recently install also the kbkn.gtb.cp4 and kbk.gtb.cp4 but still houdini 1.5 doesnt seem to use it.

Or do i need to put a gaviota.ini.txt file and where should i put it?

ralunger

Post by ralunger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:31 am

Robert Houdart wrote: You also need to install the kqkr.gtb.cp4 file, Houdini needs to find it to know which compression level (.cp4 in this case) you're using.
I've just installed the kqkr.gtb.cp4 you mentioned sir and tested it with a position of k+q vs k+r but all houdini 1.5 was getting are tablebases hits. I'm so confused why houdini only gets hits when in fact the tablebase that he needs are already installed.

I don't know what am i doing wrong here.

Robert Houdart

Post by Robert Houdart » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:19 pm

ralunger wrote:I've just installed the kqkr.gtb.cp4 you mentioned sir and tested it with a position of k+q vs k+r but all houdini 1.5 was getting are tablebases hits.
If you're getting tablebase hits, it's working fine, no?

ralunger

Post by ralunger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:50 pm

[quote="Robert Houdart"
If you're getting tablebase hits, it's working fine, no?[/quote]

As far as i know, tablebase hits only happens when the position is still not in the tablebase, but the position i was testing is already in the tablebase, namely k+q vs k+r and still i'm only getting tablebase hits. so for me it's not working fine sir.

Robert Houdart

Post by Robert Houdart » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:20 pm

ralunger wrote:As far as i know, tablebase hits only happens when the position is still not in the tablebase, but the position i was testing is already in the tablebase, namely k+q vs k+r and still i'm only getting tablebase hits. so for me it's not working fine sir.
Please post an example position and the analysis you're obtaining from the engine.

ralunger

Post by ralunger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Robert Houdart wrote: Please post an example position and the analysis you're obtaining from the engine.
Here is a screenshot of my gui. if this is what you need sir.

ralunger

Post by ralunger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Robert Houdart wrote: Please post an example position and the analysis you're obtaining from the engine.
I've already posted a screenshot of the engine analysing but it said it may take a while because it needs the approval of the admin.

By the way i'll try to explain it in words, the position i'm testing is: (W) Ke4, Rd2 (B) Ke8, Qg7 and white to move.

In the engine analysis pane...It says the current move its thinking, its evaluation, depth, time, total nodes, and tablebase hits like tb=56.

If you need more info sir just ask me.

ralunger

Post by ralunger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Oh! It's already posted.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:53 pm

ralunger wrote:
I've already posted a screenshot of the engine analysing but it said it may take a while because it needs the approval of the admin.
Sorry, you got targeted by the new anti-spam stuff. We're still making adjustments. In any case, it's ok now...

Robert Houdart

Post by Robert Houdart » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:38 pm

ralunger wrote:I've already posted a screenshot of the engine analysing but it said it may take a while because it needs the approval of the admin.

By the way i'll try to explain it in words, the position i'm testing is: (W) Ke4, Rd2 (B) Ke8, Qg7 and white to move.

In the engine analysis pane...It says the current move its thinking, its evaluation, depth, time, total nodes, and tablebase hits like tb=56.

If you need more info sir just ask me.
For your position I get an immediate mate in 31 using my EGTB folder with all 145 files for 3/4/5-piece endings.
But if I try with a test folder containing just the single kqkr file, Houdini does NOT use the EGTB (and doesn't produce any TB hits either).
If I then add the 35 files for all the 3-piece and 4-piece endings (totalling 26 MB on hard disk), it works again.

Conclusion is that there may be a problem with the Gaviota detection code if you don't have all the EGTB files installed for a certain number of pieces.
I will look into this, for the moment you will have to install more files to make the EGTB feature work as intended.

Robert