Stockfish 2.01 FRC works only in Shredder Classic.

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
Hagen

Stockfish 2.01 FRC works only in Shredder Classic.

Post by Hagen » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:48 pm

This is really disappointing. You cannot play FRC in Chessbase Fritz 10 or above with Stockfish 2.01. Everytime I've played FRC in the Fritz or even Arena 3.0 interface, the program crashes. The *only* GUI that works with Stockfish 2.01 (the bugfix which ironically addresses FRC) is Shredder Classic 4. Can anybody confirm this?

Tord

Re: Stockfish 2.01 FRC works only in Shredder Classic.

Post by Tord » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Arena won't work because Arena doesn't support FRC as specified in the UCI protocol. They insist on using their own, non-standard FRC extensions to the UCI protocol, rather than following the standard. The Arena guys came up with their FRC extensions at a time when UCI didn't yet have any FRC support. When FRC was added to UCI a while later, the Arena team for some reason refused to use it. They've had years to implement the FRC part of the UCI protocol, but they still haven't done it. For this reason, most FRC compatible UCI engines won't work in Arena. There is some more information in this thread.

However, there is still an indirect way to run FRC compatible UCI engines in Arena: Use the PolyGlot adapter, and install the engine as a Winboard engine in Arena.

I know less about Fritz, but the Chessbase programs are famous for having incomplete or outdated UCI support. I can't be sure without seeing any logs, but my guess is that the GUI is responsible for the problem there as well.
Hagen wrote:The *only* GUI that works with Stockfish 2.01 (the bugfix which ironically addresses FRC) is Shredder Classic 4. Can anybody confirm this?
Unlikely. Not being a Windows user, I am not familiar with the various GUIs, but I would be extremely surprised if Stockfish 2.0.1 doesn't play FRC correctly in Winboard and ChessGUI.

Matthias Gemuh

Re: Stockfish 2.01 FRC works only in Shredder Classic.

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:08 pm

Tord wrote:
Hagen wrote:The *only* GUI that works with Stockfish 2.01 (the bugfix which ironically addresses FRC) is Shredder Classic 4. Can anybody confirm this?
Unlikely. Not being a Windows user, I am not familiar with the various GUIs, but I would be extremely surprised if Stockfish 2.0.1 doesn't play FRC correctly in Winboard and ChessGUI.
Stockfish 2.0.1 plays FRC flawlessly in ChessGUI.
Aided by engines, GMs can be very strong.
http://www.hylogic.de