IvanHoe 999948 Beta

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
kingliveson

Re: IvanHoe 999948 Beta

Post by kingliveson » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:38 am

Prima wrote:I have to admit I haven't been using IvanHoes with the newer Robbobases scheme since their release. I have downloaded them though and read the UCI parameter settings for the newer IvanHoes. The writer for the IvanHoe UCI parameters does not explain it well enough. My Robbobases are in the c drive and named RTrB-3-4-5 & RToB-3-4-5.
My question is, what are the meaning of these Robbobases parameters in the newer IvanHoes;

RobboTripleBulkLoadThisDirectory=NULL <--- do I put only the drive letter here, as in: c:\?
RobboTripleBulkLoadThisName=NULL <---do I put the folder name of my RobboTripleBase here, as in: RTrB-3-4-5?
RobboTripleBulkDetachThisDirectory=NULL
RobboTripleBulkDetachThisName=NULL

Any help from anyone having success with this Robboabases setup is appreciated. Thanks.

These are specific to the new RobboBases (RobboTripleBase) format. With the older ones, all you needed was RobboTripleBaseDirectory which loads 3-4-5-Z onto RAM at once -- RobboTripleBulkLoadThisDirectory allows you to do the same thing with the newer bases because it normally does not load onto RAM.

Say you set RobboTripleBaseDirectory to c:\triple, you can load all 5-pieces onto RAM by setting RobboTripleBulkLoadThisDirectory to c:\triple\5. RobboTripleBulkLoadThisName does the same thing but for a specific file.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Prima

Post by Prima » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:25 am

kingliveson wrote:
Prima wrote:I have to admit I haven't been using IvanHoes with the newer Robbobases scheme since their release. I have downloaded them though and read the UCI parameter settings for the newer IvanHoes. The writer for the IvanHoe UCI parameters does not explain it well enough. My Robbobases are in the c drive and named RTrB-3-4-5 & RToB-3-4-5.
My question is, what are the meaning of these Robbobases parameters in the newer IvanHoes;

RobboTripleBulkLoadThisDirectory=NULL <--- do I put only the drive letter here, as in: c:\?
RobboTripleBulkLoadThisName=NULL <---do I put the folder name of my RobboTripleBase here, as in: RTrB-3-4-5?
RobboTripleBulkDetachThisDirectory=NULL
RobboTripleBulkDetachThisName=NULL

Any help from anyone having success with this Robboabases setup is appreciated. Thanks.

These are specific to the new RobboBases (RobboTripleBase) format. With the older ones, all you needed was RobboTripleBaseDirectory which loads 3-4-5-Z onto RAM at once -- RobboTripleBulkLoadThisDirectory allows you to do the same thing with the newer bases because it normally does not load onto RAM.

Say you set RobboTripleBaseDirectory to c:\triple, you can load all 5-pieces onto RAM by setting RobboTripleBulkLoadThisDirectory to c:\triple\5. RobboTripleBulkLoadThisName does the same thing but for a specific file.
After reading your response, this is my configuration;

RobboTripleBulkLoadThisDirectory=C:\RTrB-3-4-5
RobboTripleBulkLoadThisName=C:\RTrB-3-4-5\5

Thank you Kingliveson. Happy holidays.

ernest

Post by ernest » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:00 pm

kingliveson wrote:These are specific to the new RobboBases (RobboTripleBase) format. With the older ones, all you needed was RobboTripleBaseDirectory which loads 3-4-5-Z onto RAM at once .
Hi,
I have the old bases 3-4-5-Z
Since I don't intend to get the 6-men bitbases, is there any advantage to get the new RobboBases?

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:47 pm

ernest wrote:
kingliveson wrote:These are specific to the new RobboBases (RobboTripleBase) format. With the older ones, all you needed was RobboTripleBaseDirectory which loads 3-4-5-Z onto RAM at once .
Hi,
I have the old bases 3-4-5-Z
Since I don't intend to get the 6-men bitbases, is there any advantage to get the new RobboBases?

In thise case, no!

BB+

Post by BB+ » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Say you set RobboTripleBaseDirectory to c:\triple, you can load all 5-pieces onto RAM by setting RobboTripleBulkLoadThisDirectory to c:\triple\5.
If I read this configuration file stuff correctly, you can only "BulkLoad" one directory on startup? Is this a design flaw? What if I want to load (say) a directory called "5", and also one called "common6"?
I think this is wrong. "LoadThisName" is just one file, as KLO said. So you want C:\RTrB-3-4-5\5 for the Directory, and just leave the Name blank.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:44 am

BB+ wrote:
Say you set RobboTripleBaseDirectory to c:\triple, you can load all 5-pieces onto RAM by setting RobboTripleBulkLoadThisDirectory to c:\triple\5.
If I read this configuration file stuff correctly, you can only "BulkLoad" one directory on startup? Is this a design flaw? What if I want to load (say) a directory called "5", and also one called "common6"?
True you can only "BuckLoad" a single directory. It is probably a design flaw since directories can be separated using ";" for example. On the bright side, the files in "5" and "common6" can all be in the same directory and IvanHoe will still "BuckLoad" all. From my understanding, 3-4-5-6-z can all be in the same directory but separated only for order.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:48 am

On the bright side, the files in "5" and "common6" can all be in the same directory and IvanHoe will still "BuckLoad" all.
I think an aesthetically more pleasing way would be to set aside a "Direct_Robbo_Load" directory, which contains only links to the actual files, which could be divided over directories in whatever-which-way.

Prima

Post by Prima » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:48 am

BB+ wrote:
I think this is wrong. "LoadThisName" is just one file, as KLO said. So you want C:\RTrB-3-4-5\5 for the Directory, and just leave the Name blank.
Thank you BB+ for the correction and elaboration. This new Robbobase path settings can be very confusing, at least for me.

On a similar note, I also thought the strict path-setting for the RobboTripleBulkLoadThisDirectory was somehow limiting. I was concerned that if I wanted IvanHoe to bulk load the entire 3-4-5-(some 6)-Z, the "get around" solution would be to dump them all in one folder or make extra copies to one folder - which, either way, consumes disk space.

Thanks both of you.

Althaaf

Post by Althaaf » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:02 am

After downloading Robbobases 5 from chess.cygnitec.com,
i could not able to unzip the 5 folder items with 7 zip progrm as it says unspecified error and cannot open the file.
can anyone help me in this regard?

ernest

Post by ernest » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Althaaf wrote:i could not able to unzip the 5 folder items with 7 zip progrm
Maybe your 7-zip version is "too old"?