Help: Re.DGT Board

General discussion about computer chess...
Matioupi

Re: Help: Re.DGT Board

Post by Matioupi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:01 am

Hello,

the small size is normal. There is not much "intelligence" in this DLL, it only intercepts the calls between the final program (e.g. chessbase) that you use and the genuine DGTEBDLL.dll provided in the DGT driver pack.

My DLL search for the genuine DLL renamed in nativeDGTEBDLL.dll (must have this exact name) and that must be located in a \dgtebdll subdirectory of the C:\Program Files\DGT Projects directory (you may have to create this subdirectory by hand).

The only kind of intelligence in my DLL is a Chess moves validator that will detect wrong moves during a game (like if you put your king in chess or don't follow the walk rules...) and will emit the "well known" chessbase referee whistle in that case (if chessbase software - at least their sound files - are installed on the computer)
It also enables me to understand the interactions between the two software layer... and informs the guy at Chessbase so they can correct the bugs with playchess...
(By the way, could you explicit with details the behaviours you're facing within playchess ?)

Didn't you forget to create the "nativeDGTEBDLL.dll" from the genuine DLL ? (which would explain why it doesn't work)

The DGTEBDLL.lib will not be touched, this is a file aimed at software programmers that want to use the DGTEBDLL in their software and mainly contains the "interface" of the DLL...

I don't really see other reasons why it shoudn't work on your computer... maybe some third party (like Microsoft) libraries missing... Ty to install this before :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

By the way, i've been rewriting some stuff on it (you may have a crash while setting a new game position with current version), i will provide an update today)

Regards,

Mathieu

Matioupi

Post by Matioupi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:07 am

third update to the "customized" library...

instructions :

1/ rename the attached file to DGTEBDLL.dll (i had to put a pdf ext to be able to upload it here)
2/ create a C:\Program Files\DGT Projects\dgtebdll\nativeDGTEBDLL.dll from the genuine DGT DLL (this will also be a backup of the genuine DLL in case of issues)
3/ replace the genuine DLL with the one attached (and renamed) in the following locations :

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\DGT Projects\DGTEBDLL.dll"
"C:\Program Files\DGT Projects\DGTEBDLL.dll"
"C:\Windows\System32\DGTEBDLL.dll"
"C:\Program Files\ChessBase\Devices\DGTEBDLL.dll"

changes with this rev 3 :

- changed the initialization process to strictly keep the call order the same as the genuine DGT DLL.
- removed the lib reset when setting new game position which in fact does not change anything to the cheebase products integration problems and could cause crash in some cases.

features (not modified) :

- corrects the crash upon exit on Fritz12 with Vista
- add the referee whistle for illegal moves.
Attachments
DGTEBDLL.pdf
rev 3.
(78.5 KiB) Downloaded 415 times

Lostark

Post by Lostark » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:25 am

OK now I understand .... Mathieu.

Ill report back at the earliest but as I am attending my son's turney, my responses may be slow, since its a 2 round per day rated tournament and I may have to be there, the whole day.

But please do know that I am really indebted to you for your efforts ...

Regards
Lostark.

Matioupi

Post by Matioupi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:12 am

Hello,

don't worry, I'll get you comments when they'll come and that's find !

Anyway, I'm now sure that I will not be able to change the bug with Playchess as it comes from inside their software and not from the DGT driver (version 1.50) not the interactions with it.

I've been writing to Playchess (info@chessbase.com or here : http://www.chessbase.com/contact/mail/support.aspx) them, but they are not answering me... I would just recommand that all DGT board users that have an issue with their DGT board on playchess do write them to explain... The more users, the faster they should make the changes... (I offered my help)

I've been trying FICS with the Babas interface and it do works perfectly with the DGT board (another reason to say that the DGT driver is not responsible). I will have to make some changes to have the referee whistling work with BabasChess as the way it uses the DGT driver are a bit different thant Playchess client.

Regards,

Mathieu

A van Ark

Post by A van Ark » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:04 am

Hi Mathieu,

First thank you for your efforts!

"Other issue is that sometimes, the moves are not taken into account (despite the driver is loaded and the position it shows in the small window), especially if i play several games in a row without quitting playchess between them. This is still the case with version 1.50"

This is also what I encounter and it really pisses me off :twisted:

So I tried your .dll

When I replace the original .dll with your versions I get the message "acces violation" after I start a program that uses your .dll.

I am even not able to use DGT board Tester It isn't able to load the driver.

My OS is Windows 7 X64 Ultimate.

Do you have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Andre van Ark

Matioupi

Post by Matioupi » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:12 am

Hello,

Ok, this build of my DLL is for 32 bits OS only... i'll try to generate a 64 bits DLL version but I don't have access to such an OS for testing...

Did you reported the problem to chessbase ? The more we will be, the sooner they should issue a correction (which must be really small correction in their source code I guess)

I noticed recently a new issue... when proposing move take back while playing with the DGT board, it seems that it stops the clocks and the game... could you try this and report if you have it too ?

Regards,

Mathieu

A van Ark

Post by A van Ark » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:41 am

Hi Mathieu,

I would be glad to test the X64-version off the .dll and report back.

Besides that, I will send Mathias Feist (Chessbase) an e-mail and Jan Krabbenbos (driver developer of DGT) I know both as very kind and helpfull people.

Best wishes,

Andre van Ark

Matioupi

Post by Matioupi » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:01 am

Here is a first try of a 64 bit version...

It will not solve the issue with several games in a row but will prevent the crash at exit (should...)
Attachments
DGTEBDLL_64bits.zip
This is a zip archive, unzip to get the 64 bit version of the file
(44.75 KiB) Downloaded 264 times

A van Ark

Post by A van Ark » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:20 am

Hi.

"It will not solve the issue with several games in a row but will prevent the crash at exit (should...)"

The original driver from DGT didn't crash at exit here. (I use GUI 11.)

The main problem here is the "issue with several games in a row" it would be cool if you could write a X64-version of your .dll

Best wishes,

Andre van Ark

A van Ark

Post by A van Ark » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:53 am

Hi,

The 32-bits version works on my computer I copied the Nativedgt.dll to a wrong directory :oops:

"2/ create a C:\Program Files\DGT Projects\dgtebdll\nativeDGTEBDLL.dll from the genuine DGT DLL (this will also be a backup of the genuine DLL in case of issues)"

As a x64 ownwe I copied it to C:\Program Filesx86\.....

However, also with your driver the problem is still there.

Now DGT will send me a new print for my board (to see if the problem lies there, as my board is quiw old)

I keep you informed.

Best wishes,

André :ugeek: