POLL: Whether Houdini Is A Clone?

General discussion about computer chess...

Is Houdini A Cloned Program??

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 74

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: POLL: Whether Houdini Is A Clone?

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:09 am

Mark Young wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Mark Young wrote:Who Cares, Stop the witch hunt. I guess Houdini is now the target because it is #1 on more and more rating lists. If Vas does not care, why should anyone else care. For now I will take Robert's word. He has a better track record then Vas.
True,he's way more polite and cooperative with his fans and he charges no penny :D

My theory is that Robert is an extremely talented programmer who had a +2700 chess engine and after the Ippo/Robbo breakthrough he got several ideas from the source and created a 3300 engine....nothing wrong with that I guess....

As for Houdini being number one,no Sir,it isn't....there are at least 2 chess entities which are stronger than Rybka 4 and Houdini 1.03a....
Dr.D

I see Norm is going to release Fire 1.4, Based on your settings.

I test default settings, You could go crazy trying to test all the program settings. I have to draw the line somewhere. :) I can't wait to see what you guys have come up with, and I hope it holds up at long time controls. (3 mins a move average)
Hi Mark :D ,
These settings are optimized and tested at long time controls....I don't play blitz,I hate it :mrgreen:
Dr.D

Zherkovv

Post by Zherkovv » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:27 am

Charles wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Of course it is....a 3300 Elo program from a scratch,come on :lol:

BTW<I have A FireBird 1.1 personality that is stronger than Houdini 1.03a by 30-40 Elo and I am not a programmer....
Will post results soon....
Dr.D
Just wondering .... have you done tests in both long and short time controls ? and this personality wins in all matches?
-- this is interesting.
Yes! it wins in all my matches with long and short time controls!

With these settings FireBird 1.1 w32 ( the strongest Fire engine) is in good condition.
In my personal tests FireBird is approximately 35 elo stronger than Deep Rybka 4 32bit !

The Dr. Wael Deeb settings (the right tweaks) for Fire 1.1 32 bit:

Pawn Hash: 64
Pawn Value: 120
Knight Value: 325
Bishop Value: 325
Rook Value: 600
Queen Value: 1170
Bishop Pair Value: 65
Verification Reduction: 8

I feel a lot of elo is saved for the rental version of Rybka, so Vasik Rajlich did not care much
about this Rybka 4, what a shame, in fact its Rybka 4 is the promised Rybka 3+ that should had been
released as a free update for the Rybka 3 customers

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:52 pm

Zherkovv wrote:
Charles wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Of course it is....a 3300 Elo program from a scratch,come on :lol:

BTW<I have A FireBird 1.1 personality that is stronger than Houdini 1.03a by 30-40 Elo and I am not a programmer....
Dr.D
Just wondering .... have you done tests in both long and short time controls ? and this personality wins in all matches?
-- this is interesting.

With these settings FireBird 1.1 w32 ( the strongest Fire engine) is in good condition.
In my personal tests FireBird is approximately 35 elo stronger than Deep Rybka 4 32bit !

I feel a lot of elo is saved for the rental version of Rybka, so Vasik Rajlich did not care much
about this Rybka 4, what a shame, in fact its Rybka 4 is the promised Rybka 3+ that should had been
Thanks for the feedback....you're absolutely right regarding Rybka 4,but where is this rental Rybka :!: :?:
I have the feeling that it's the bluffer of the year in the computer chess world....
Dr.D

tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Zherkovv wrote:
Charles wrote:

Dr.D
-- this is interesting.

If this really is the promised Rybka 3+ then it apparently came with a whole new set of bugs. Does that make it Rybka 3+-?

BTO7

Post by BTO7 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Not a clone. Robert put on his page all the info about Houdini if anyone takes the time to look. He said its a blend of 3 engines and the rest is his work. Derivative is closer but its not like hes tried to hide the fact. Hes a great programmer and the engine has had enough modification i believe to call his own. I look forward to fire 1.4 also as these are my two favorite engines available.

Regards
BT

Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:06 pm

BTO7 wrote:Not a clone. Robert put on his page all the info about Houdini if anyone takes the time to look. He said its a blend of 3 engines and the rest is his work. Derivative is closer but its not like hes tried to hide the fact. Hes a great programmer and the engine has had enough modification i believe to call his own. I look forward to fire 1.4 also as these are my two favorite engines available.

Regards
BT
Belief is for fools, facts are the "key". If he stated that Houdini is three "other" engines combined, it is not an original work, as Robert stated, it is a clone of a clone of a clone. End of story :lol:

Bye,

Sean

BTO7

Post by BTO7 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:19 pm

Sean Evans wrote:
BTO7 wrote:Not a clone. Robert put on his page all the info about Houdini if anyone takes the time to look. He said its a blend of 3 engines and the rest is his work. Derivative is closer but its not like hes tried to hide the fact. Hes a great programmer and the engine has had enough modification i believe to call his own. I look forward to fire 1.4 also as these are my two favorite engines available.

Regards
BT
Belief is for fools, facts are the "key". If he stated that Houdini is three "other" engines combined, it is not an original work, as Robert stated, it is a clone of a clone of a clone. End of story :lol:

Bye,

Sean
Clone no derivative yes and even a fool like you should know there is a difference. Is Rybka an original work? No derivative of fruit so whats your point then? What exactly are you trying to prove? Nothing ...ohh ok i got it...AND where did Robert ever say it was totally an original work ??? Even a fool like you should know he never stated that so again what is your point? Ahh you dont have one nor a life :lol:

BT

Dr. Ivannik

Post by Dr. Ivannik » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:31 pm

I sit here in my Moscow apartment sipping my Stolichnaya vodka and sweltering in the heat as I analyze a old Rudolf Spielmann game full of speculative sacrifices. I have engines in front of me that can tactically get to the heart of the chess problem and show me resources that my comrades before me could not have seen years ago. I feel fortunate to have these chess engines of today and do not care where or who or what they are. As I read these posts I wonder if anyone uses these engines for their original purpose? All this silly debate as to their legality and on and on I wonder why does one care?? Enjoy all the engines and yes I'll have another on the rocks.

Thank you

Dr. Ivannik

slobo

Post by slobo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Sean Evans wrote:Hello group,

It seems the claimed owner of Houdini, one Robert Houdart, has convinced himself that Houdini is an original program and neither a derivative nor a cloned program :lol:

http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=534

Cordially,

Sean Evans
You shoud have consulted the correct terminology before starting your poll.
Houdini is not a clone, but
it is an engine based on Robbolito; probably more than Rybka (is based) on Fruit.

slobo

Post by slobo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:59 pm

Dr. Ivannik wrote:I sit here in my Moscow apartment sipping my Stolichnaya vodka and sweltering in the heat as I analyze a old Rudolf Spielmann game full of speculative sacrifices. I have engines in front of me that can tactically get to the heart of the chess problem and show me resources that my comrades before me could not have seen years ago. I feel fortunate to have these chess engines of today and do not care where or who or what they are. As I read these posts I wonder if anyone uses these engines for their original purpose? All this silly debate as to their legality and on and on I wonder why does one care?? Enjoy all the engines and yes I'll have another on the rocks.

Thank you

Dr. Ivannik
Nice observation, but
this world have more than one dimention. We can enjoy many of them at the same time.