Cool Iris 10.40

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
Eduard Nemeth

Re: Cool Iris 10.40

Post by Eduard Nemeth » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:16 pm

I don't understand the developers' logic. They only delete the possibility of changing the value 100. They only test with this value in their tests, and don't know what it's like to play with many different time controls. On InfinityChess (currently closed) I had to increase the slow mover to a minimum of 150 for the tournament time control of 11 min + 2s. Otherwise the engine would have only used 4 minutes until the endgame. Everyone knew this, and everyone increased the slow mover, many even well over 150. It's completely different with time controls without bonus time like 5 min + 0s.

What the developers have done now is unacceptable. But it has always been that way. They also removed MinimumThinkingTime.

If you don't know which values ​​are the best, you shouldn't change anything and everything will be fine. Polyglot books are not recognized by the Fritz GUI because the moves are seen as moves played by the engine, and not by the GUI. That's why, even after 30 Polyglot book moves, the engine moves just as quickly as if it were the first move in the game. On the first few moves it's less tragic if the engine pulls faster. But on move 30 it can be tragic if the engine pulls too quickly in a critical position. There are fewer critical moves in the opening. It is nonsense that the engine pulls quickly at move 30 and 5 minutes left on the clock (at 5m+0s). If you play with CTG book, the engine moves slower when 30 book moves have been played. That's why I increase the slow mover to 115 or 120 when I only play with polyglot book. Try it yourself Anton. First just load a Polyglot book and play with Slow Mover 100. Then load a large CTG book. You will see what a difference there is. The developers don't know anything about tournament chess on servers, but they want to tell us how we should play. That's arrogant and disgusting, sorry. :cry:
Peace be with you!

Eduard Nemeth

Post by Eduard Nemeth » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:42 pm

Btw, feel free to ask Khalid Omar too. I often played against Eman on Infinitychess, and especially with tournament time controls like 11 min + 2s, Eman was the engine that slowest moved. I think Eman has its own time management that is different from Stockfish. Eman moves slower than Stockfish at the beginning of the game. That is good.
Peace be with you!

Anton101

Post by Anton101 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:19 pm

Yesterday there was a comment exchange on the Discord channel, between Fauzi, another programmer and a user who complained about the removal of this feature, although the user mentioned about the lag on the servers, you know, the response was, "change to lichess." And I repeat, as it is a non-functional change, it will remain in the updates.

Many thanks for your comments Eduard. I will.

Best regards;

Anton101

Post by Anton101 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:24 am

Cool Iris 11.80 its an engine based in Corchess 4 update to SF 141223, I've added a new patch:

https://tests.stockfishchess.org/tests/ ... cf40aaf914

I've kept "slow mover" for server users.

PIXELDRAIN: https://pixeldrain.com/u/caqBc9Qk

MEGA: https://mega.nz/file/DY5WwQaJ#QTt5MOnE- ... rAX1iGHquA

OrgZ

Post by OrgZ » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:09 am

Anton101 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:24 am
Cool Iris 11.80 its an engine based in Corchess 4 update to SF 141223, I've added a new patch:

https://tests.stockfishchess.org/tests/ ... cf40aaf914

I've kept "slow mover" for server users.

PIXELDRAIN: https://pixeldrain.com/u/caqBc9Qk

MEGA: https://mega.nz/file/DY5WwQaJ#QTt5MOnE- ... rAX1iGHquA
Third update..you are on a roll Tnx buddy :difus_19

Eduard Nemeth

Post by Eduard Nemeth » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:22 am

Great! :!:
Peace be with you!

Eduard Nemeth

Post by Eduard Nemeth » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:39 pm

Cool Iris 11.80 with external network (avx2, avx512, bmi2, sse41, modern, source code):
https://pixeldrain.com/u/RbFpk7m9
Peace be with you!

IbaiBuR

Post by IbaiBuR » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:51 pm

Eduard Nemeth wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:16 pm
I don't understand the developers' logic. They only delete the possibility of changing the value 100. They only test with this value in their tests, and don't know what it's like to play with many different time controls. On InfinityChess (currently closed) I had to increase the slow mover to a minimum of 150 for the tournament time control of 11 min + 2s. Otherwise the engine would have only used 4 minutes until the endgame. Everyone knew this, and everyone increased the slow mover, many even well over 150. It's completely different with time controls without bonus time like 5 min + 0s.

What the developers have done now is unacceptable. But it has always been that way. They also removed MinimumThinkingTime.

If you don't know which values ​​are the best, you shouldn't change anything and everything will be fine. Polyglot books are not recognized by the Fritz GUI because the moves are seen as moves played by the engine, and not by the GUI. That's why, even after 30 Polyglot book moves, the engine moves just as quickly as if it were the first move in the game. On the first few moves it's less tragic if the engine pulls faster. But on move 30 it can be tragic if the engine pulls too quickly in a critical position. There are fewer critical moves in the opening. It is nonsense that the engine pulls quickly at move 30 and 5 minutes left on the clock (at 5m+0s). If you play with CTG book, the engine moves slower when 30 book moves have been played. That's why I increase the slow mover to 115 or 120 when I only play with polyglot book. Try it yourself Anton. First just load a Polyglot book and play with Slow Mover 100. Then load a large CTG book. You will see what a difference there is. The developers don't know anything about tournament chess on servers, but they want to tell us how we should play. That's arrogant and disgusting, sorry. :cry:
You are right, at Lichess there is a similar problem.

If you play with opening book, the first out-of-book move is made almost instantly, at least before as far as I can remover.

I dont think remove the option was a good idea either, it was not harming game play and some users know how to use it correctly.

Weird.

Eduard Nemeth

Post by Eduard Nemeth » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:12 pm

Yes. And: Lichess is no different than PlayChess. I have to set on Lichess Move Overhead as well as on PlayChess. As far as slow move are concerned: It also depends on the selectivity with which an engine plays. The value 100 is optimized for Stockfish's selective search. When I play with my engine on Lichess and have slow mover 100, e.g. Bullet 1+0, and a long book, the engine pulls extremely quickly. I still have 45s left in the endgame. This is nonsens. That's why I set the slow mover significantly higher. Oh, that's just one example of many. The fact is that, especially with server games, you have to optimize a lot to get the optimum for the respective time control and the different books (on PlayChess the engine pulls slower with CTG books).
Peace be with you!

Anton101

Post by Anton101 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:16 pm

Hi Eduard!

After reading your comments about the removal of "slow move" and the chatter on Discord, I didn't see the point in removing a much needed feature for server users.

Thanks for your builts with external neta.

And thanks for your comments.

I wish you all, a happy weekend.

Have fun!