Man vs Machine

General discussion about computer chess...
biscuit1953

Re: Man vs Machine

Post by biscuit1953 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:07 am

peter64 wrote:I do not think the proposed match between Carlsen or any other top master against a top computer is interesting. At this
point it is commonly accepted that computers are stronger than humans.

To me the interesting match is Carlsen or any top master plus the top computer against the same top computer, in a match
of several games, the more the better. If Carlsen aided by the computer makes a clear win we will know that human intelligence
still makes a difference. If no side makes a clear win then we will know that the computer not only beats
any human player in the tactical aspect, by calculating a huge number of variations, but we will also
know that the computer makes human intuition and positional evaluation irrelevant compared with
the results of the computer. In other words, the top programs will be playing at a level so high that
even the best human intuition and strategic evaluation given to one of the sides will not alter the
result.
I believe the answer would have to involve the World Correspondence Chess Champion and not an over the board grandmaster. Has it been determined that a Correspondence GM is as helpless against computers as those playing OTB?