David Levy's Secret Desires!

General discussion about computer chess...
Sean Evans

David Levy's Secret Desires!

Post by Sean Evans » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Ummm... we are aware that President David Levy of the ICGA has written a book entitled: Love + Sex with Robots: the evolution of human-robot relations

Are we sure that we want a President of the ICGA that may be having or is habouring the desire to have some type of sexual relationship with a robot :?: :shock:

Book Reviews

Cordially,

Sean Evans

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Re: David Levy's Secret Desires!

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Sean Evans wrote:Ummm... we are aware that President David Levy of the ICGA has written a book entitled: Love + Sex with Robots: the evolution of human-robot relations

Are we sure that we want a President of the ICGA that may be having or is habouring the desire to have some type of sexual relationship with a robot :?: :shock:

Book Reviews

Cordially,

Sean Evans
Dunno. I like sex. I like robots. I am not planning on mixing those interests, but it's not such a weird research topic. Plus:
It is estimated that Americans now spend somewhere around $10 billion a year on adult entertainment, which is as much as they spend attending professional sporting events, buying music or going out to the movies.
So if Levy's not researching it, you can bet that Sony is.

A, it's a doctoral dissertation, and if he wanted to write about cybernetics, artificial intelligence and human sexual response, that's a more interesting doctoral thesis than, say, "Developments in European Union Constitutional Law".
B, I refer you to the awfully tame Robot Trilogy by Asimov (you might be "shocked" by some of the subject matter). Or "Blade Runner" for that matter (Pris is a pleasure model); or AI by Spielberg; or... it's not like this is some weird fantasy from the depths of Levy's lizard brain. It's pop culture.
C, Reagan went to psychics; Ilyumzhinov has been abducted by aliens, and who are you to judge his interests, actually? Are you even an ICGA member? If not, he's not even "your" president.

Sure beats "Love and Sex with (Evil) Clowns", if you ask me.

jb

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Oh lord, where does one even begin...Can you say ménage à trois? This could put a totally different meaning into "turning on your computer." Anyways, hide your electronics when David Levy is around. :P

On a more serious note, programming emotions -- how difficult such intrinsic human characteristics it would be to turn into ones and zeros.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

thorstenczub

Post by thorstenczub » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Sean Evans wrote:Ummm... we are aware that President David Levy of the ICGA has written a book entitled: Love + Sex with Robots: the evolution of human-robot relations

Book Reviews

Cordially,

Sean Evans

ever watched bladerunner ?

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:24 am

kingliveson wrote:Oh lord, where does one even begin...Can you say ménage à trois? This could put a totally different meaning into "turning on your computer." Anyways, hide your electronics when David Levy is around. :P

On a more serious note, programming emotions -- how difficult such intrinsic human characteristics it would be to turn into ones and zeros.
Read this:
http://www.amazon.com/Vehicles-Experime ... roduct_top

How much of what we interpret as emotion is actually simple sensory response to external factors (and internal wiring)?

jb

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:12 am

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
Read this:

How much of what we interpret as emotion is actually simple sensory response to external factors (and internal wiring)?

jb
Yea, I took a peek inside, and it's definitely an interest book I wouldn't mind adding to my collection. The failure I foresee is reasoning where logic is basis for these devices.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:53 am

kingliveson wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
Read this:

jb
Yea, I took a peek inside, and it's definitely an interest book I wouldn't mind adding to my collection. The failure I foresee is reasoning where logic is basis for these devices.
Mechanics!

jb