IPPOLIT

General discussion about computer chess...
kingliveson

Re: IPPOLIT

Post by kingliveson » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:44 am

Uly wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
In software engineering, a project fork happens when developers take a legal copy of source code from one software package and start independent development on it, creating a distinct piece of software.
I wouldn't call Houdini 1.0 and RobboLito "distinct pieces of software". See? It's all about semantics, and I doubt you'll have luck making people call all these engines Ippolit (even if it's more correct to call them Ippolit than Ippolit derivatives or something).
You are overlooking the definition as it applies to software. A derivative is a fork usually produced by another entity. Rybka 3 to Rybka 4 does not fit this description, IPPOLIT to RobboLito to Igorrit to IvanHoe do not fit this description, Windows Longhorn to Blackcomb/Vienna does not fit this decription, etc. Not sure how else it can be said... :?
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Uly

Re: IPPOLIT

Post by Uly » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:00 am

I would keep the definitions of derivative and fork separated. That is my personal choice, as saying "RobboLito IS Ippolit" makes as much sense to me as saying "Rybka 4 IS Rybka 3", since, they're different programs.