IPPOLIT

General discussion about computer chess...
kingliveson

Re: IPPOLIT

Post by kingliveson » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:13 pm

kranium wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
kranium wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Ron Murawski wrote:@kingliveson
I will modify the Chess Engine List as you suggest. I hope to make the changes tomorrow.
Question: Do Ippolit and Igorrit belong on my 'Dead Engine List'? (If no further work will be done to those codebases, then they meet my definition as 'dead'.)
Thank you for the information!
Ron
The IPPOLIT project development is still active under codename IvanHoe. Successors to the initial IPPOLIT release, codenamed RobboLito and Igorrit, are no longer active.
Oh, by the way, the repeated use of IPPOLIT instead of Ippolit is not an attempt to be obnoxious; it is actually IPPOLIT.
i've been working on the successor to RobboLito 0.09 -> RobboLito 0.10 SMP since last summer.
i have posted in several forums since then, and in the last few months (on chess2u and Immortal) that I would be releasing it Dec. 31, 2011
this will be 2 year anniversary of our (my and Sentinel's and the many Decembrists) release of RobboLito 0.09 on Immortal

so, at least as far as my Chesslogik development efforts are concerned...RobboLito 'lives on'!
and not only in in Houdini :-D ... (which would be terribly unjust :( )

Norm
Hi Norm, don't you think it would be better to have a unique name to help lessen confusion? Will it support tablebases, and what other features? Looking forward it...
well, it's impossible to please everyone...
and there's a large group of CC enthusiasts who (contribute nothing) just stand on the sidelines and complain...

i guess i could call it 'Tarantula' or something like that,
but i'm sure many would complain 'why didn't he just call it 'RobboLito 0.10'?

in fact, calling it 'RobboLito 0.10' makes sense...it's quite clear what it is and where it came from...
(probably less confusing?)
I dont think naming it anything other than RobboLito creates confusion since it will be a derivative. Naming it RobboLito creates an authorship confusion.

Now, suppose IPPOLIT project was dead and RobboLito was the last release in the series, then naming it RobboLito could be appropriate, as you would be resurrecting the project -- this is not the case as the project is still active, just under a different name (IvanHoe).
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

kranium

Post by kranium » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:17 pm

kingliveson wrote:
Uly wrote:Who decides on these names anyway? Besides Houdini all of them sound funny, cheesy or generic.

(I have to give credit to Houdart for that, Houdini is a really nice name for a chess engine, it's imposing, you'd want to have something like that)

To the contrary, RobboLito is a unique name and original unlike Houdini. They should have stuck it out with RobboLito which struck fear into hearts of many and created a storm in the computer chess world.

Let me speculate on the namings: It is related to the one contributing most to the release. Roberto Pescatore it appears did the most work in RobboLito. Igorrit was brought to us by Igor Igorovich Igoronov, and IvanHoe, by Brave Musketeer Ivan Skavinsky Skavar. :)

;)
yes, i believe you are absolutely correct..how very perceptive of you!

and it's no coincidence that Houdart is almost = Houdini...
(not random...human ego prevailing in choice taken)

kranium

Post by kranium » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:43 pm

kingliveson wrote:
kranium wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
kranium wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
I will modify the Chess Engine List as you suggest. I hope to make the changes tomorrow.
Question: Do Ippolit and Igorrit belong on my 'Dead Engine List'? (If no further work will be done to those codebases, then they meet my definition as 'dead'.)
Ron
The IPPOLIT project development is still active under codename IvanHoe. Successors to the initial IPPOLIT release, codenamed RobboLito and Igorrit, are no longer active.
Oh, by the way, the repeated use of IPPOLIT instead of Ippolit is not an attempt to be obnoxious; it is actually IPPOLIT.
i've been working on the successor to RobboLito 0.09 -> RobboLito 0.10 SMP since last summer.
i have posted in several forums since then, and in the last few months (on chess2u and Immortal) that I would be releasing it Dec. 31, 2011
this will be 2 year anniversary of our (my and Sentinel's and the many Decembrists) release of RobboLito 0.09 on Immortal

so, at least as far as my Chesslogik development efforts are concerned...RobboLito 'lives on'!

Norm
Hi Norm, don't you think it would be better to have a unique name to help lessen confusion? Will it support tablebases, and what other features? Looking forward it...
and there's a large group of CC enthusiasts who (contribute nothing) just stand on the sidelines and complain...

in fact, calling it 'RobboLito 0.10' makes sense...it's quite clear what it is and where it came from...
I dont think naming it anything other than RobboLito creates confusion since it will be a derivative. Naming it RobboLito creates an authorship confusion.

Now, suppose IPPOLIT project was dead and RobboLito was the last release in the series, then naming it RobboLito could be appropriate, as you would be resurrecting the project -- this is not the case as the project is still active, just under a different name (IvanHoe).
you make a good point...
in the beginning, I called it 'RobboLite' to show that it was different and did not support Robbobases (and actually one very early version even specified 'RobboLito for Windows'),

at that time, the native Linux RobboLito code released from wikispaces.com barely even 'ran' on Linux...let alone stable, and the Robbobase code was in it's infancy

i.e. if Robbolito worked well on Windows, and was stable...it was very likely (almost certainly) one of my/our (chesslogik.com) releases!
and we got it stronger...

but, i was never once contacted about lack of Linux compatibility...clearly from my perspective, 99% of users were probably running it on a Windows platform
...(but of course i have no data to show this, just my perception)

i know this (minority Linux users) is subject on which you have strong feelings...
;)

kranium

Post by kranium » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:59 pm

kingliveson wrote:
LucenaTheLucid wrote: Thought it was pretty well known that Ippolit turned into Iggorit -> Robbolito -> Ivanhoe. I guess there can still be some confusion.
I thought so too, but after reading some recent comments on talkchess, that proved otherwise. Also, http://computer-chess.org/doku.php?id=c ... ngine_list, a great computer chess resource site, has the information incorrect. They correctly have the project code names (RobboLito, Igorrit, and IvanHoe) under IPPOLIT, but wrongly listed as forks. It would be better for each derivative (Armageddon, DeepSaros/Vitruvius, Fire/FireBird, etc.) to have its own section and noted as such -- just as they have done for Houdini.

I have entered a Wikipedia entry for IPPOLIT. It still needs some work -- features, derivatives (?), controversy, etc. Some of those topics initially discussed on talkchess are now hidden to the public, and unusable, thanks to Il Duce Graham Banks.
just to clarify any remaining confusion,
and w/ no disrespect...

the correct chronology is:
Ippolit turned into Robbolito -> Iggorit -> Ivanhoe.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:24 pm

kranium wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
kranium wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
kranium wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Ron

Norm

you make a good point...
in the beginning, I called it 'RobboLite' to show that it was different and did not support Robbobases (and actually one very early version even specified 'RobboLito for Windows'),

at that time, the native Linux RobboLito code released from wikispaces.com barely even 'ran' on Linux...let alone stable, and the Robbobase code was in it's infancy

i.e. if Robbolito worked well on Windows, and was stable...it was very likely (almost certainly) one of my/our (chesslogik.com) releases!
and we got it stronger...

but, i was never once contacted about lack of Linux compatibility...clearly from my perspective, 99% of users were probably running it on a Windows platform
...(but of course i have no data to show this, just my perception)

i know this (minority Linux users) is subject on which you have strong feelings...
;)
Yourself and Sentinel did a great job with RobboLito no question. There's even a Linux port of it on openSUSE packman repository.

Code: Select all

RobboLito 0.085g3l x86_64
Nov 21 2011 02:42:37
linux port by unisky
based on a windows version by kranium and sentinel
The problem is GUI as for Linux and chess. Scid and XBoard are great, but when it comes to engine-engine tournament, they are lacking. After pestling Matthias continuously about a Linux port of ChessGUI, he decided to send me the source. I thought by now the project would have been completed, but other activities have taken precedence -- so I don't know if and/or when it will be done.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

kranium

Post by kranium » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:45 pm

kingliveson wrote: I dont think naming it anything other than RobboLito creates confusion since it will be a derivative. Naming it RobboLito creates an authorship confusion.
This part is not fair perhaps...
because I could not possibly have been more concientious in ascribing authorship...

my web site was (and still is) inundated with references to ippolit.wikispaces.com

"RobboLito is an extremely strong open-source UCI chess engine by:
Yakov Petrovich Golyadkin, Igor Igorovich Igoronov, and Roberto Pescatore"

many releases even contains 'based on Ippolit' in the ID author field....
and it's mentioned often w/ hypertext liiks in the ample and detailed documentation included w/ each release.

for ex:
"my goal with FireBird was to combine all the best ideas, features,
and strengths from the IppoLit chain of releases:
IppoLito, RobboLito, Igorrit, and IvanHoe, into one engine.

in addition i have added all the best ideas that Sentinel and i came up
with during the development of Robbolito 0.085g3 and 0.09 and previous
versions. with enormous beta testing help from the Decembrists and
Robbolito comrades, we posted more than a dozen public betas on
Immortal223 for testing during the last months of 2009.

FireBird is based on the IppoLit family of engines, more info here:
http://ippolit.wikispaces.com/

this chess ship is a truly glorious achievement of the
October Revolution and Decembrists movement!"

i.e. no authorship confusion possible IMHO

i did (and still do) the absolute best i can to be perfectly clear in this regard...

kranium

Post by kranium » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:52 pm

kingliveson wrote: Naming it RobboLito creates an authorship confusion.
i've made my decision...
i'll be releasing it as 'RobboLito 0.10 SMP'

if the author (Roberto Pesacatore) has an issue w/ the the name, he can contact me...i will respect his wishes.
my email address is well -known and readily available.

(to date, and to my utmost knowledge, he has no problem with any of my chesslogik.com RobboLito development efforts, including the version naming)

Norm

Uly

Post by Uly » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:45 pm

It's probably because of my Mexican origin that I don't like the name. The ending "ito" is used to mean a small thing, so Robbolito would be a small robbo or a small robbol (little robot?). But that ending is also used to show affection, as in "I have affection for RobboLo, so I call it RobboLito".

I also don't like that one author picks the name of another author, because jumps in versions are used when the same author continues the project.

If RobboLito belongs to Roberto Pescatore, issuing a RobboLito 0.1 is going to make people assume that the author is back issuing new versions, which is untrue.

Using RobboLito 0.1 as the name when you are not the author of RobboLito is intentionally misleading.

So I'm going to support Tarantula.

Richard Vida

Post by Richard Vida » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:37 am

Uly wrote:It's probably because of my Mexican origin that I don't like the name. The ending "ito" is used to mean a small thing, so Robbolito would be a small robbo or a small robbol (little robot?). But that ending is also used to show affection, as in "I have affection for RobboLo, so I call it RobboLito".
It is not unlike the "-ka" ending in slavic languages... (Czech, Slovak, Russian)

In my native language ryba = fish, rybka = "small" fish, or a fish with which I have an emotional connection

Uly

Post by Uly » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:21 am

Yeah, I would also dislike the name of Vas's engine if it was called "Pescadita", as it brings the word "Pescada" to mind, which sounds awful (though maybe "Pecesita" would work...), but I admit being biased against RobboLito because I don't like how RobboLo sounds.

Anyway, how is Critter 1.3 coming up? :)