IPPOLIT

General discussion about computer chess...
kranium

Re: IPPOLIT

Post by kranium » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:06 pm

@Franklin and @Ron Murawski
kingliveson wrote: Fire: Own entry. Firebird became Fire due to a trademark naming conflict. Fire is for Windows only, supporting both 32-bit/64-bit architectures. It is an IPPOLIT, IvanHoe derivative. The source was initially closed, then released, but it appears to have been closed again.
Slight correction here:
Concerning Fire, it's not simply a matter of the source having been closed again (i.e. while development continues).
the project is done..., i.e. no more Fire from me, ever

the last version was 2.2, the source code is(should be) still readily available from various sources/sites/download links, etc...
(just no longer from chesslogik.com)

Also:
RobboLito 0.09 was released 12/31/2009, not in 2011 as listed

Norm

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Ron Murawski wrote:@kingliveson

I will modify the Chess Engine List as you suggest. I hope to make the changes tomorrow.

Question: Do Ippolit and Igorrit belong on my 'Dead Engine List'? (If no further work will be done to those codebases, then they meet my definition as 'dead'.)

Thank you for the information!

Ron

The IPPOLIT project development is still active under codename IvanHoe. Successors to the initial IPPOLIT release, codenamed RobboLito and Igorrit, are no longer active.

Oh, by the way, the repeated use of IPPOLIT instead of Ippolit is not an attempt to be obnoxious; it is actually IPPOLIT.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Uly

Post by Uly » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:40 am

Well, the full name of Toby is TobyTal, it was a derivative of Ippolit (sic) that went commercial before Houdini, here's the page:

http://www.tobychess.com/

As for how was it done, who knows? It's possible that it was just another hex edited job.

kranium

Post by kranium » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:14 am

kingliveson wrote:
I will modify the Chess Engine List as you suggest. I hope to make the changes tomorrow.
Question: Do Ippolit and Igorrit belong on my 'Dead Engine List'? (If no further work will be done to those codebases, then they meet my definition as 'dead'.)
Ron
The IPPOLIT project development is still active under codename IvanHoe. Successors to the initial IPPOLIT release, codenamed RobboLito and Igorrit, are no longer active.
Oh, by the way, the repeated use of IPPOLIT instead of Ippolit is not an attempt to be obnoxious; it is actually IPPOLIT.
i've been working on the successor to RobboLito 0.09 -> RobboLito 0.10 SMP since last summer.
i have posted in several forums since then, and in the last few months (on chess2u and Immortal) that I would be releasing it Dec. 31, 2011
this will be 2 year anniversary of our (my and Sentinel's and the many Decembrists) release of RobboLito 0.09 on Immortal

so, at least as far as my Chesslogik development efforts are concerned...RobboLito 'lives on'!
and not only in in Houdini :-D ... (which would be terribly unjust :( )

Norm

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:02 pm

kranium wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Ron
i've been working on the successor to RobboLito 0.09 -> RobboLito 0.10 SMP since last summer.
i have posted in several forums since then, and in the last few months (on chess2u and Immortal) that I would be releasing it Dec. 31, 2011
this will be 2 year anniversary of our (my and Sentinel's and the many Decembrists) release of RobboLito 0.09 on Immortal

so, at least as far as my Chesslogik development efforts are concerned...RobboLito 'lives on'!

Norm
Hi Norm, don't you think it would be better to have a unique name to help lessen confusion? Will it support tablebases, and what other features? Looking forward it...

Uly

Post by Uly » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Who decides on these names anyway? Besides Houdini all of them sound funny, cheesy or generic.

(I have to give credit to Houdart for that, Houdini is a really nice name for a chess engine, it's imposing, you'd want to have something like that)

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:56 am

His "original" contribution? :)

Uly

Post by Uly » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:02 am

It was Albert Silver who suggested the name, but Houdart was the first one to pick it up.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Uly wrote:Who decides on these names anyway? Besides Houdini all of them sound funny, cheesy or generic.

(I have to give credit to Houdart for that, Houdini is a really nice name for a chess engine, it's imposing, you'd want to have something like that)

To the contrary, RobboLito is a unique name and original unlike Houdini. They should have stuck it out with RobboLito which struck fear into hearts of many and created a storm in the computer chess world.

Let me speculate on the namings: It is related to the one contributing most to the release. Roberto Pescatore it appears did the most work in RobboLito, and also the main developer of RobboBases. Igorrit was brought to us by Igor Igorovich Igoronov, and IvanHoe, by Brave Musketeer Ivan Skavinsky Skavar. :)

kranium

Post by kranium » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:04 pm

kingliveson wrote:
kranium wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Ron

Norm
Hi Norm, don't you think it would be better to have a unique name to help lessen confusion? Will it support tablebases, and what other features? Looking forward it...
well, it's impossible to please everyone...
and there's a large group of CC enthusiasts who (contribute nothing) just stand on the sidelines and complain...

i guess i could call it 'Tarantula' or something like that,
but i'm sure many would complain 'why didn't he just call it 'RobboLito 0.10'?

in fact, calling it 'RobboLito 0.10' makes sense...it's quite clear what it is and where it came from...
(probably less confusing?)

PS -it's testing quite strong