Houdini tempted to participate in the coming WCCC in Tilburg

General discussion about computer chess...
SilvianRx

Re: Houdini tempted to participate in the coming WCCC in Til

Post by SilvianRx » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:04 am

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
JcMaTe wrote:I have read on talk chess that Robert Houdart is tempted to participate in the coming WCCC in Tiburg
He should definitely give it a shot. I would love for the derivative origins of Houdini to be officially established once and for all.

Jeremy

An exclusive photo: Houdini 2.x waiting for WCCC:

WCCCed regards,
SilvianRx
I love you guys !

noctiferus

Post by noctiferus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:11 pm

Out of post, sorry :(
Who is she? (the girl in the avatar, I mean, not the pork).
Alexandra Stewart? One of my youth dreams...

SilvianRx

Post by SilvianRx » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:21 pm

noctiferus wrote: I'm out of post, sorry ):( ):( ):(
Who is she? (the girl in the avatar, I mean, not the pork).
Alexandra Stewart? One of my youth dreams...

No !
Definitely - It's hard for you to make the difference ! :lol:
See you , nOcTiFeRuS , restlessly is not good.
Posting here and on mmortal322 forum is unhealthy !

Ave Caesar !

:roll: :lol: :roll:
I love you guys !

thorstenczub

Post by thorstenczub » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:41 pm

ave caesar.

Don

Post by Don » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:19 am

BB+ wrote:For my two cents (maybe I should start a new thread): is the WCCC too long? How many people can easily take a whole week off to "operate" their entry for 9 days [Friday-Saturday]? [And how many consider this a desirable "vacation"?] Given that there will likely be few/zero participants from the Americas [maybe Zach, maybe others, I obviously don't know], having it just be (say) 5 days long probably won't lead to any complaints about such a short stint not being worth the travel effort. Having it be a (very) long weekend might(?) lead to greater participation. The "statistical significance" of 9 or 11 games versus something like 7 can't be that great, though having a round-robin (if possible) is always nice in that everyone gets to play the champion. Of course, there are counter-arguments, but I just wanted to know if anyone had an opinion.
I'm jumping in late, but I think 9 days is too long. In fact I believe a single tournament is not a good way to establish a world champion, but I think they have to do it that way for practical reasons. In an ideal world there should be some sort of qualifying tournament or tournaments getting us down to matches between a very few players to select a challenger to last years world champion.

I say, "in an ideal world" because I'm not sure such a thing is practical. It could be made more practical if it were low overhead, the matches could even be played in someones home or work office but properly supervised and broadcast prominently over the internet. The pre-tournaments could be the ones where all the authors come together to play and meet each other.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:51 am

Based on some talks with people in Tilburg, I think the decision to have the WCCC be Sat-Wed followed by the WCSC the next few days worked out reasonably well [or at least better than the initial proposal]. I agree that having a "showdown match" could be an idea to increase publicity. But I can't think the ICGA currently would prefer that (again for practical reasons).