Engine styles for Analysis

General discussion about computer chess...
Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Re: Engine styles for Analysis

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:20 am

Uly wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:You're only winning because your opponents are using their computers less than you are. How can you be proud of that win?
How do you know that my opponents use their computer less for their analysis of postmortem games?
Sorry, I thought you were talking about correspondence games.
Jeremy Bernstein wrote: I understand your point of view, I just disagree -- it insults the intelligence of your opponents. In your case, it also underestimates their ability to use a computer.
No, I don't think you understand. Even, I'm not sure we're talking about the same things.

This is what I'm talking about:

A human plays a human, unassisted. There's some game result.

The first person takes the game and checks it with a computer at home, sees what ways it could have played better, or in what kind of patterns he was missing a beneficial theme, and improves. Maybe he even decides to ditch the opening played and go for something else.

The next day, the humans play again, and chess is so complex that it's very unlikely the patterns appear again and the player can take advantage of what he learned with the engine, but he'll possibly play better, and at some future game, the motif will appear and the player will get better results than if he just played but never analyzed his games.
No argument here.
My claim is that weak engines can be better than top engines for this process if they have a style that fits the human. Furthermore, if the user sticks with Komodo, whatever style Komodo has, it's going to disrupt the style of the human. Say for example, that Komodo likes to push c4 in some kind of positions before playing Nc3, even though Nc3 is a perfectly valid move and the one the human liked, but eventually the user sees it so much that he starts playing c4 instead of Nc3 in his games. That's style disruption, and it happened to me with Pro Deo, that would make moves that would stop the opponent from pinning my knight, and would play knight to the border of the board to attack bishops. I thought they were the best moves, only later on I learned they weren't necessary, that I could play different moves, but my playing style was already disrupted, that's why I think it's best to look for the engine that agrees with your moves, and suggests improvement along the same lines, regardless of ELO, instead of a top one that will suggest totally different lines from what you play.

You make it sounds as if computers could be used while the game was going on, or something in where using more computers is going to give the human more wins. At some point this became the conversation of the deaf.
Again, I thought you were talking about corr chess, sorry about that. I still think that it's bad to rely on tricks (chances are that, if you can see it or memorize the book, your opponent can, too), but I see that we're on the same page wrt engine choices.

jb

kranium

Post by kranium » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:41 pm

guyhayton wrote:I have read on various forums that engines have different styles for analysis purposes... aggressive, positional play, draw-ish etc. etc.
So effectively people have a mix of chess engines to represent "human personalities" and will mix engine choice depending upon either the desired outcome or to compare viewpoints.

Whilst a novice, I wish to get more involved in analysing my games and will practice using Aquarium/Chess Assistant on GM and IM games.
Too much choice would be natural thought - that is download and but all available engines. But I hoped to focus and get some experienced advice from others.

I currently have:

Houdini 2.0b
Deep Rybka 4.1
Deep Shredder 12
Critter 1.2
Komodo 3

What personalities would people place against these five? Is there enough variety? I don't mind spending money as long as I know it will be of benefit.
Any direction would be appreciated...

Cheers
Guy
IvanHoe is free, stronger than Shredder and Komodo (w/ rating in the top 4-5), and includes oodles of specialized features specifically designed for analysis...
including montecarlo routines, a unique complete 6 man tablebase solution, and now apparently supports Gaviota TB as well.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:54 pm

kranium wrote:
guyhayton wrote:I have read on various forums that engines have different styles for analysis purposes... aggressive, positional play, draw-ish etc. etc.
So effectively people have a mix of chess engines to represent "human personalities" and will mix engine choice depending upon either the desired outcome or to compare viewpoints.

Whilst a novice, I wish to get more involved in analysing my games and will practice using Aquarium/Chess Assistant on GM and IM games.
Too much choice would be natural thought - that is download and but all available engines. But I hoped to focus and get some experienced advice from others.

I currently have:

Houdini 2.0b
Deep Rybka 4.1
Deep Shredder 12
Critter 1.2
Komodo 3

What personalities would people place against these five? Is there enough variety? I don't mind spending money as long as I know it will be of benefit.
Any direction would be appreciated...

Cheers
Guy
IvanHoe is free, stronger than Shredder and Komodo (w/ rating in the top 4-5), and includes oodles of specialized features specifically designed for analysis...
including montecarlo routines, a unique complete 6 man tablebase solution, and now apparently supports Gaviota TB as well.
Question is if it delivers useful analysis, as compared to something like Rybka (on the one hand) or Komodo (on the other). I don't know the answer to that question, though.

jb

ernest

Post by ernest » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:34 pm

kranium wrote:IvanHoe ...now apparently supports Gaviota TB as well.
Hi Kranium,

I must have missed that! :o
Where did you see that?

Hood

Post by Hood » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:40 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
Question is if it delivers useful analysis, as compared to something like Rybka (on the one hand) or Komodo (on the other). I don't know the answer to that question, though.

jb
I am reading a lot of super.... about Komodo but I can not find the reason. Houdini, Critter, Stockfish are stronger in an analysis of my positions. Where is the clue ?

rgds
Hood
Smolensk 2010. Murder or accident... Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programms. There are programms with undiscovered bugs.
Alleluia.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:54 am

Hood wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:

jb
I am reading a lot of super.... about Komodo but I can not find the reason. Houdini, Critter, Stockfish are stronger in an analysis of my positions. Where is the clue ?

rgds
Hood
I find the numerical evaluation of Komodo, and the suggested PVs, to be more in line with those suggested by my coach. Maybe the engine just suits my playing style better.

Jeremy

guyhayton

Post by guyhayton » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:02 pm

Wow, I really have kicked off something here

Looking at peoples constructive comments and otherwise, have amended my list of engine choice to being

Houdini 2 very, very stong tactically a bit pessimistic
[3022] if theres something to be found in a tactical position
houdini will usually find it.

Critter 1.2 aggressive optimistic play... very tactical will not
[2953] pass up on advancing and attacking

Komodo 3 excellent positional analysis (like a human coach)
[2966] human-like evaluation so it's highly recommended for
for analysis of OTB games. Calm, still style.

Junior human like tactical play, most spectacular in the first
move after the opening book. Speculative moves which is
interesting, supposedly bad in endgames

Famous for its sacrificial style and knowledge of
compensation, Junior often gives noticeably different
analysis from other engines, making it a useful
source for ideas.

Zappa
Mexico II: Low redundancy all along and great move choices.
[2717] It has specific knowledge very useful in some positions
the other engines are overlooking and give too high scores
while Zappa sticks to a more right 0.30s. Deep tactics!

"go to" engine when others seems unsure OR I am doubting
the other engines. I trust Zappa Mexico II to find a
really good move and/or plan. It isn't my first engine
I consult but always use it!

So the list of five seems to have changed to these, the reasons/styles are noted by each one in summary.
I don't have Junior/Zappa at present but they have been talked about in such positive terms I may get my credit card out.

For purposes of low scale play/practice I will also add Glass to my armoury because of its easy personality changes.

Uly

Post by Uly » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:07 am

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:I thought you were talking about correspondence games.
Yeah, in this entire thread I've only been replying to this post:
Uly wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:If you are analyzing human games, and not playing matches against other engines, and not playing computer-assisted games against other computers/computer-assisted players, I would (personally) use Komodo + Critter
Indeed, for such usage the strength of the engine doesn't matter, blah blah blah blah
I hold that the needs are completely different when analyzing human games as from analyzing ongoing correspondence games. Nothing of what I said applies to corr games so I noticed we were on different books when you had good arguments against swindling on corr games :)

For corr games, indeed, you can't just hope that the refutation you found is going to be missed by your opponent, with analysis methods being so varied, even, it's possible that your opponent is going to play a refutation you missed. There's no space of hope chess in here, and knowing those refutations is critical so you ought to use the strongest engines available.

So I think the best answers for guyhayton's question depend on what he's going to use the engines for. If it's analysis of human games then he has a more ample spectrum of engines he can use, and no need to buy any of the commercial ones (nor big hardware, etc).

guyhayton

Post by guyhayton » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:23 am

Yeah my thread question was about analysing human games. My own and some low-end and club games - for the purposes of learning, but also in just the enjoyment as a scholastic exercise.

As Uly, notes I have more than enough engines with Houdini 2.0b, Komodo 3 and Rybka 4.1... I wanted to get a mix of engines that would give me different aspects of the game - perhaps I confused by using the term personalities. But as a scholastic enterprise, I wanted to compare positions in games that perhaps Komodo as positional would be different than say Houdini or Critter which are more tactical.

I have to admit to wanting to shortcut the initial stage of trying out the engines myself, and thats why I posted the question - thinking naively it would be a simple this engine for that type of analysis.

One thing that has clearly come out of this though is the Glass project. I have only just downloaded it but I like the idea of having "switchable personalities" with names I can understand (without me going in and tweaking weights and other settings)

I have learnt a lot already and I thank everyone for their contribution to date

Dismas

Post by Dismas » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi Guy.

"I don't mind spending money as long as I know it will be of benefit."

Spend money on getting some lessons and advice from a good human coach.

Get out and play as often as you can and you will meet all the real different
personalities and styles that a computer cannot possibly ape.

The chief ability that you will require that a computer cannot give you
is to be able to spot and punish human errors.

Also computers in lost positions cannot wriggle and cheapo as
good as humans as this usually involves setting a trap or playing
a cleverly masked unsound move. Computers cannot do this as they
have no idea (yet) of the concept of making an unsound move whose
refutation is difficult for a human to see.

Computers won't gamble or roll the dice hoping for a blunder and everyone
reading this has gambled OTB and won.
And everyone reading this has tossed a won game falling for a cheapo
that a computer would never have played.