Houdini 2 released

General discussion about computer chess...
Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Re: Houdini 2 released

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:10 am

Prima wrote:
JcMaTe wrote:...like i say I'm so crazy jeje for my part I will never buy programs that dependend from other open-source programs
Agreed 100%.

Unless commercial engines' sources codes are available for inspection (by a special group) to ensure "its authenticity" or actual codes from open-source and/or GPLed programs are not in commercial engines, then I feel confident to buy. If not, then I refuse to be taken for a "fool" by commercial engine authors on their commercial engines that could otherwise be a "repackaged" open-source GPL'ed engines.

Call me a pessimist, anti-democratic or whatever, but as long as commercial source codes are closed and/or unverifiable for authenticity, I'm always suspicious of commercial authors, with no special preferences.
That's a sort of extreme position, but it's your money. I generally wait until there's some reason to doubt the authenticity of a piece of software (and in the Houdini case, there is).

Jeremy

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:51 pm

Does Viswanathan Anand get commission from Houdini's sales?
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:30 pm

kingliveson wrote:Does Viswanathan Anand get commission from Houdini's sales?
Who guarantees that UNICEF will really get 10% ? Can they sue ?
Aided by engines, GMs can be very strong.
http://www.hylogic.de

Prima

Post by Prima » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:39 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
Prima wrote:
JcMaTe wrote:...like i say I'm so crazy jeje for my part I will never buy programs that dependend from other open-source programs
Agreed 100%.

Unless commercial engines' sources codes are available for inspection (by a special group) to ensure "its authenticity" or actual codes from open-source and/or GPLed programs are not in commercial engines, then I feel confident to buy. If not, then I refuse to be taken for a "fool" by commercial engine authors on their commercial engines that could otherwise be a "repackaged" open-source GPL'ed engines.

Call me a pessimist, anti-democratic or whatever, but as long as commercial source codes are closed and/or unverifiable for authenticity, I'm always suspicious of commercial authors, with no special preferences.
That's a sort of extreme position, but it's your money. I generally wait until there's some reason to doubt the authenticity of a piece of software (and in the Houdini case, there is).

Jeremy
In most cases, GPL software cannot be commercial. Alternatively, If the GPL software goes commercial but it's NOT authentic, then the source code/s for the software MUST be released along WITH the GPL-commercial software. So far, Robert Houdart/Houdini has not complied with either GPL options.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:22 pm

Prima wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
Prima wrote:
Agreed 100%.

Jeremy
In most cases, GPL software cannot be commercial. Alternatively, If the GPL software goes commercial but it's NOT authentic, then the source code/s for the software MUST be released along WITH the GPL-commercial software. So far, Robert Houdart/Houdini has not complied with either GPL options.
Houdini isn't based on GPL sources. It's based on unlicensed sources. He can legally do what he wants with them.

jb

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:05 am

Maybe or maybe not. If you believe someone wrote robolito, then they clearly hold the copyright unless the explicitly disclaimed it in writing. If they did that, anyone can use it unless it is shown to be derived from Rybka, for example...

JcMaTe

Post by JcMaTe » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:41 pm

How Dr Hyatt can be sure that Robert Houdart dont have nothing from crafty ? it seem that Vas and Houdart loves crafty , If I'm not wrong Vas say that he took Ideas from Crafty ( more than ideas ) and Robert Houdart in his old website he say Without many ideas from the excellent open source chess engines Ippolit/Robbolito, Stockfish and Crafty, Houdini would not nearly be as strong as it is now.

It seem that Robert Houdart and Vas have the same ideas !!

Like you all have been saying to writte a chess program will take a lot of time right? I mean starting from scratch.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:45 pm

hyatt wrote:Maybe or maybe not. If you believe someone wrote robolito, then they clearly hold the copyright unless the explicitly disclaimed it in writing. If they did that, anyone can use it unless it is shown to be derived from Rybka, for example...
It seems there's still some confusions as to who released RobboLito. "RobboLito is in the IPPOLIT series. The best currently is in IvanHoe."

FAQ on IPPOLIT website:

Code: Select all

Q. How copyright IPPOLIT?
A. Publicdomain (workers), only.

Q. What is RobboLito?
A. RobboLito is the version of IPPOLIT that now contains endgame tablebases, the RobboBases.
IPPOLIT.c: May 20, 2009 (May 3rd?)
RobboLito-0.084: September 14, 2009
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Uly

Post by Uly » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:11 am

Robbolito was also the strongest in the series before MP was implemented.

JcMaTe

Post by JcMaTe » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:01 am

Uly wrote:Robbolito was also the strongest in the series before MP was implemented.
I agreed with you !