Thoughts on Fruit=Rybka EVAL

General discussion about computer chess...
BB+

Re: Thoughts on Fruit=Rybka EVAL

Post by BB+ » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:21 am

Rebel wrote:Alright then, let's keep it simple. Same question for you as to Zach in Rybka forum.

1. Do you totally reject Miguel's PST experiments? Is it all bull, or is there some truth in it?
To the best of my understanding [and I am not following Rybka Forum], I think he is simply measuring something else, and that I don't find his to be the most trenchant consideration (or "finest microscope") for the R/F situation. To be more precise: If all one had were the Fruit 2.1 arrays to go along with the Rybka 1.0 Beta arrays, then his reconstruction has more relevance, in that there would be no "natural supposition" as to the methodology behind the creation of PSTs.

However, with the Fruit 2.1 code sitting in front of us, it seems rather unnatural to speculate about alternative methods that could re-create R/F-style arrays -- I claim that a more direct method is to determine: how little the Fruit 2.1 code needs to be modified to give the Rybka 1.0 Beta numbers; and whether this "code differential" is notably smaller than with other engines. [This is a simplification of any "comparison" process, as many other engines don't even have 12 PSTs, and so one has to juggle the methodology before even starting to compare].
Rebel wrote:2. Do you still stand by your document that on 2 places states that the PST's are a MAJOR issue?
I still think they are "major", by my understanding of ICGA Rule #2. I do not know about other Panel members. Whether or not PST by itself would be enough for "strong sanctions" from Rule #2 (rather than just a wrist-slap) is yet another question.
Rebel wrote:3. What's your personal opinion, in the light of all that has been said about the PST's here and at Rybka forum, should the panel had to pay more attention to the PST issue?
My personal opinion is that the Panel proceeded in a reasonable manner. One of the first orders of business was to determine the relative import of various aspects, which should be discussed more, what would be convincing evidence that Rule #2 had indeed been broken, etc. At this stage, some things like 10-30-60-100 scaling (section 6.2) were completely rejected, others (like UCI parsing) were said to be only marginally of chess-related interest. This (essentially) left the "big three", namely the three so-called major pieces of evidence. [Other things were also raised during this period, such as which Rybka versions should be investigated for ICGA purposes, what could be considered "black-box" code, and more].

It was then generally agreed [via the survey mentioned below] that "Commonality of evaluation features" would suffice, if indeed the evidence there was as strong as claimed (and that it also applied to R232a, not just R1). I don't know whether this was because I put it first in RYBKA_FRUIT [as Alan Sassler said, you usually lead with the best stuff], or whether the Panel sensed that EVAL was the most chess-relevant of these three [EVAL, root search ordering, PST]. There was then a discussion of how EVAL "similarity" could be measured. In particular, my RYBKA_FRUIT wording that R/F had "the use of exactly the same evaluation features" was scrutinised [it seems that MarkL quoted this in the final Report as my initial impression, tempering it with: This has been expanded with more statistical rigour in a separate 50+ page paper], as at the most abstract level of general chess knowledge, this could be said about many engine pairs. Even if one passed down to finer detail, there were specific issues brought up with other engines (e.g., they used contact squares for king safety), and thus there was a desire for some sort of "statistical" analysis of the R/F "evaluation overlap". This led to EVAL_COMP, which was first discussed in preliminary form, and then "instrumented" so as to get a final result. However, although EVAL_COMP took centre stage for some purposes, it should be stressed that it was still only a part of the evidence.

By this point, Mark Lefler had surveyed the Panel. In the early part of this survey, some people had expressed various doubts. In particular, some of those who were undecided noted that the evaluation comparison of R/F was the main issue, with additional caveats about whether EVAL similarities could be explained by other "public" influences (either on FL in making Fruit, or on VR with Rybka). After EVAL_COMP was finished and discussed, MarkL then made the decision to pass to the "voting" stage, and proceeded to put together the Report. Referring to my RYBKA_FRUIT work, he included the line: Disassembly of the root search analysis indicates nearly identical code and variables, even including the ordering of the variables (the 2nd "major" issue), but did not directly mention PST. For Zach's it says: Identical formulas for calculating piece-square tables for: pawns, knights, bishops, rooks, queens. Highly similar formulas for piece square tables for kings. One could argue that this is more of a statement of Zach's evidence, rather than bringing forth any conclusion one might draw from it.

K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:29 am

BB+ wrote:
Rebel wrote:Alright then, let's keep it simple. Same question for you as to Zach in Rybka forum.
1. Do you totally reject Miguel's PST experiments? Is it all bull, or is there some truth in it?
BB+ wrote: However, with the Fruit 2.1 code sitting in front of us, it seems rather unnatural to speculate about alternative methods that could re-create R/F-style arrays
If my understanding is correct, your point appears to be similar to one that Bob made in the discussion about the relevance to the main PST issue of Miguel’s alternative code. I think that Bob’s point was that in the same way that it is easier to work out a route if you know your destination than if you don’t, producing original code that generates PST is relatively simple if you know in advance the values that you want to generate.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:40 am

K I Hyams wrote:
BB+ wrote:
BB+ wrote: However, with the Fruit 2.1 code sitting in front of us, it seems rather unnatural to speculate about alternative methods that could re-create R/F-style arrays
If my understanding is correct, your point appears to be similar to one that Bob made in the discussion about the relevance to the main PST issue of Miguel’s alternative code. I think that Bob’s point was that in the same way that it is easier to work out a route if you know your destination than if you don’t, producing original code that generates PST is relatively simple if you know in advance the values that you want to generate.
I am curious about the effects of the PST debate and if it changed anything at all. I have asked Zach the same thing on Rybka forum. The idea is to reach some kind of consensus before going to the next subject. There are still many interesting aspects to debate.

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Rebel wrote:
K I Hyams wrote:
BB+ wrote:
I am curious about the effects of the PST debate and if it changed anything at all. I have asked Zach the same thing on Rybka forum. The idea is to reach some kind of consensus before going to the next subject. There are still many interesting aspects to debate.

IMHO the PST data is stronger today, rather than weaker. Particularly since we have discussed all the "weaker arguments" against it. However, I will say this, with your current method of debate, NO discussion with you will be worthwhile. When, on the rybka forum, you ask for proof that Vas claimed ALL rybka versions to be his original work, and I (and others) provide quotes and even direct links to posts on the Rybka forum using his username, you says "Ok, there is that, but where did he claim 1.6.1 as his original work?" You look utterly ridiculous doing that. As if somehow he can say "ALL versions are original" but maybe in some alternate universe he meant "All versions except 1.6.1 were original." Or your latest punch line, he said original, but he didn't say HIS ORIGINAL which would make the statement "all versions are original" mean, to the deranged, "1.6.1 was original, but it was original by Bob Hyatt." Which is just WAAYYYY out there on the idiocy scale...

BB+

Post by BB+ » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:28 am

I don't personally care much about VR's statements, but back in 2008 when CW was moderator at TalkChess, the point about "originality" and which Rybka versions was already raised. http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 030#214030
Chris Whittington wrote:What he said to me, and I reproduced it here was:
"Rybka is and always was completely original". A statement that implies it was written from scratch right from the start and continues to be so.
Christophe Theron wrote: OK, sorry, I remembered your sentence and not his.
I read his statement the same way as you do. So if any parts of Fruit 2.1 can be found in Rybka 1.0, it can only be pure coincidence. That's what Vas says. Correct?
Chris Whittington wrote:My assumption is "Rybka is and always was" applies to all versions with the name Rybka in them. 1,2,3, beta, whatever.
I concur with CW that this is a reasonable assumption. Particularly as VR has indicated that everything since 2003 has been incremental development.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:24 am

BB+ wrote:I don't personally care much about VR's statements, but back in 2008 when CW was moderator at TalkChess, the point about "originality" and which Rybka versions was already raised. http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 030#214030
Chris Whittington wrote:What he said to me, and I reproduced it here was:
"Rybka is and always was completely original". A statement that implies it was written from scratch right from the start and continues to be so.
Christophe Theron wrote: OK, sorry, I remembered your sentence and not his.
I read his statement the same way as you do. So if any parts of Fruit 2.1 can be found in Rybka 1.0, it can only be pure coincidence. That's what Vas says. Correct?
Chris Whittington wrote:My assumption is "Rybka is and always was" applies to all versions with the name Rybka in them. 1,2,3, beta, whatever.
I concur with CW that this is a reasonable assumption. Particularly as VR has indicated that everything since 2003 has been incremental development.
This is a pretty much beaten to death subject on Rybka Forum. Thing is, you will have to proof Vas was aware of 1.6.1 (and whatever experimental versions he has made in the past) when he said what he said in 2007. Ironically Crafty wins that tournament, 1.6.1 is at the bottom. 1.6.1 has every sign of another trashed version by an orientating chess programmer. As such anno 2011 NOW aware of the 1.6.1 accusation unaware in 2007 while under pressure of the R1=Fruit accusation Vas would have put things differently.

The same logic applies to CW statement back in 2007. New data -> new situation -> former statements are not 100% valid any longer. Context matters.

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:31 pm

Completely stupid argument. He clearly says "ALL versions are original, including the early versions." And now you want to become Bill Clinton and argue about what ALL means. Give us all a break. Even Chris agreed with the definition of ALL back then. Now you both want to change?

As I have repeatedly said. "Pick a side of the argument/discussion and STAY there."

This is a novel way of debate, however. CW made a clear statement 3 years ago. But now context has changed, somehow ALL means something other than what everyone assumes today, and that statement now does not mean what it did. :)

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:39 pm

And to think that all these efforts could have been put to lobbying for the release of Rybka 1.0 source code or even earlier versions which will easily prove innocence...
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:06 pm

kingliveson wrote:And to think that all these efforts could have been put to lobbying for the release of Rybka 1.0 source code or even earlier versions which will easily prove innocence...

Supposedly it does not exist... Although interestingly enough, Lukas has implied that he has copies of old versions.

alfons

Post by alfons » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:19 pm

Rebel wrote:Thing is, you will have to proof Vas was aware of 1.6.1 (and whatever experimental versions he has made in the past) when he said what he said in 2007.
Lovely nonsense: How could one possibly 'proof' such awareness?
Tempting is some switcheroo here: "Thing is, Vas will have to proof that he wasn't aware of 1.6.1 (and whatever experimental versions he has made in the past) when he said what he said in 2007", isn't it?

Now what?