Thoughts on Fruit=Rybka EVAL

General discussion about computer chess...
Rebel

Re: Thoughts on Fruit=Rybka EVAL

Post by Rebel » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:32 pm

Terry McCracken wrote: What will you say when the FSF finds Vas guilty of copyright infringement??? You sure don't have any problem slamming your peers to protect one dubious programmer. What the hell Ed?
Hey Terry, hope you are well.

Regarding the question, what will you say when the FSF frees Vas of guilt?

Pretty pointless huh?

Take care.

veritas

Post by veritas » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:33 pm

Terry McCracken wrote:
Rebel wrote:Given that every reasonable chess program has all (or almost all) the ingredients as mentioned in the Zach & BB documents (mine certainly has all) makes a comparison hardly possible. Much of what's described in the document I either have done similar (and a lot earlier than good old Fabien :lol:) or is done in a general known but just in a somewhat different way of doing the same thing, namely, to evaluate a positional aspect of a position following his understanding of the aspect.

Problem with EVAL is (and with PST it's similar) there are not so much choices. There are not 10 or 20 ways to calculate mobility, only few. Same with other aspects, king safety, all programs evaluate the squares close to the enemy king. Furthermore a chess programmer is forced to do it in quick and simple solutions for speed reasons. So possible alternatives quickly shrink and programs tend to become similar in the techniques they use.

However what I would accept as damaging is an exact or a great similarity in the order of the evaluation ingredients. I had a quick look at the Fruit and Strelka EVAL and that doesn't appear the case, I leave this to the Rybka/Fruit/Strelka experts.

The point is, I have a hard time to believe that Vas (in 2005) took the Fruit sources as a base and changed the order of Fruit's EVAL because he foresaw a scenario he would become so famous that somebody would re-engineer his program an he possibly could be caught on exact order of the ingredients in EVAL.

I would say, no similarity, not guilty.

What will you say when the FSF finds Vas guilty of copyright infringement??? You sure don't have any problem slamming your peers to protect one dubious programmer. What the hell Ed?
good post Terry

Ed tries to be a "Rebel with a (changeable as hormonal pms ) cause " but really is more Inspector clue-so and Rebel without a clue

criminal waste of cyber trees even responding to the like really... fools only attempt to drag all down to there level and win by virtue of experience

veritas

Post by veritas » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:47 pm

speaking of which ..

interesting snippets (http://pt-br.justin.tv/sedatchess#/w/1653164800 ) of Nick Carlin spouting garbage

10:31 catotheyounger: Nick, *** was that??

10:31 crawly: lol

10:31 lillemester: <Yes ... good honest

10:31 crawly: honest only two posible

"Yes or not

10:32 nickcarlin: HIARCS playing with Houdini book, so it will pick up Houdart UCI's name from the ID tag

10:32 crawly: Havey's friend is Houdart

10:32 catotheyounger: ahhh, now decreasing heart rate, thnx

10:32 crawly: hehehe

10:32 nickcarlin: Looked just kinda funny, like Houdart was the author of HIARCS

10:32 crawly: Harvey *

tiago_a_alves: hi to all

awesome_ctg: That in case, all the books would have his id in Them

arilovsu: wow

"Omi impressive

nickcarlin: Better than the cricket for sure

Broadcaster sedatchess: i was very carefull during setups

crawly: much books

catotheyounger: Houdart and Harvey are friends? how can that be, when six, seven months ago Harvey was totally anti-Houdini?

arilovsu: cricket is best

crawly: much worgreat work Sedat

» well done!

Broadcaster sedatchess: because single mistake

nickcarlin: Hey Nelson, did you see Lukas' post on Rybka forum today? Looks like he is warming to our idea of playing Houdini

mustang_11: holaa

Broadcaster sedatchess: can afect a lot the books

jeandis: money is money

catotheyounger: didn't see that

crawly: The time change the people Nelson...

lillemester: IoI

catotheyounger: must be confident, eh?

Broadcaster sedatchess: even i can test diffent book with different name

nickcarlin: http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... 361231;hl=

arilovsu: vasid bhai

crawly: Hiarcs team using Houdini... incredible!

nickcarlin: I have seen some screenshots of the latest Rybka in tournaments against "other" engines, it's scary

Broadcaster sedatchess: ok Friends, thats all from for today

jeandis: por la plata baila el mono

Broadcaster sedatchess: i need really rest

» see you tomorrow

mustang_11: barmikin estas ?

arilovsu: ok bye gd ni8

Broadcaster sedatchess: bye to all

crawly: Swett dreams Sedat, and thanks!

lillemester: Do you think that New Deep Rybka will come later or never?

jeandis: later

arilovsu: never come

nickcarlin: Vas said late this year or early next year Torbjorn

jeandis: 5 version is attempted

lillemester: OK, Nick...

nickcarlin: But I have to advise not to release full strength because it will just get reverse engineered, so it has to be staged

» but eventually it will all come

lillemester: It will be tough for Rybka to lose title... Example world chess championship

nickcarlin: We think ICGA are irrelevant

jeandis: antonio esta aqui?

greco28: muki

lillemester: I can not discuss that who is right or wrong?

fx7_fx5: B95 play?

nickcarlin: everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course, but Vas is innocent !

lillemester: I will not mix up

» Only I want to buy multi-processor.

awesome_ctg: Unjust criticism is often a disguised compliment Nc, Vas should be smiling

lillemester: Agree, awesome

nickcarlin: Nelson?

» Agree Rog

» "Well, I'm for both Freestyle and Engine tournaments, but let's not muddle the two." <- Nelson, what is this?

Prima

Post by Prima » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:33 pm

Rebel wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote: What will you say when the FSF finds Vas guilty of copyright infringement??? You sure don't have any problem slamming your peers to protect one dubious programmer. What the hell Ed?
Hey Terry, hope you are well.

Pretty pointless huh?

Take care.
Someone posted a quote from one of the FSF members, indicating Rybka took codes from Fruit and/or Crafty - enough to pursue the case. That being the case, IF the FSF do in fact pursue it, Vas will likely be found guilty.

Ed, what will you say this time? that the FSF targeted Vas and was unfair - as you falsely labeled the ICGA, from forum to forum? Or are you going to find a Chess engine/software created by the FSF team and accuse them of stealing codes from Rybka - like you falsely accused Crafty, from forum to forum?

I really hope the FSF follows this one through, just so we all get to see you blame yet another organization (and everyone else) for Vas' misconduct...

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:54 am

Rebel wrote: Besides of that, yesterday I saw you posted the reverse engineered Rybka EVAL order from your notes. They did not match the Fruit EVAL order. I can not find it anymore. Did you remove it? Or am I in need for new glasses? Apologies in advance if the latter seems to be the case.
BB,

I double checked, did a search on the word "notes" (even on "note") but the information simply is gone.

Gone exactly one day after I started The smoking gun that should be there but wasn't thread.

I notable even refer to your deleted (modified) post in no.3 of the thread in answer to Bob:
Rebel on Rybka Forum wrote:Mistake-2, BB was so kind to gimme the order of EVAL of Rybka 1.0 beta through reverse-engineering. You must have missed that.
A remarkable coincidence.

Care to explain ?

Thanks.

zwegner

Post by zwegner » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:28 am

Jeez. The information is on page 2 of this thread. If you're too lazy: viewtopic.php?p=13622#p13622

Is it really necessary to accuse Mark of something untowards here?

Prima

Post by Prima » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:12 am

zwegner wrote:Jeez. The information is on page 2 of this thread. If you're too lazy: viewtopic.php?p=13622#p13622

Is it really necessary to accuse Mark of something untowards here?
Dang it zwegner! :D

You should have let him reveal more of his character & deteriorating state of mind :D . Or at least let him run back to Rybka forum and post his paranoia rants on how "the big evidence" (if at all :lol: ) he found was deleted. Then you point him to the thread.

Goes to show how "savvy" he is/was with researching stuffs in the Fruit/Crafty -> Rybka ICGA investigation. Very "revealing" about him, I'd say :lol:

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:28 am

Chris Whittington wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:Stockfish, Critter, Komodo. Which of those 3 engines do you claim violate rule #2? Can you back that assertion up?

And no, claiming that those engines benefit from the simple existence of Ippolit isn't valid. If you do, you are (once again) trying to blur the boundary between ideas and code. If you can demonstrate that these engines have unacknowledged stolen code, though, I'm sure we're all ears.

That said, I agree that Rule #2 could benefit from some specificity. In spirit, though, it's 100% correct.

Or would you prefer something like "Entrants can legitimately steal up to 95% of the code stolen by the previous year's WCCC. The returning WCCC is not subject to this clause, and may steal code as deemed appropriate. Winners demonstrated to have violated this rule retain their titles and merely push the upper boundary higher."?

Jeremy
Rebel wrote:That will keep me busy for a while :lol:

Mark, now that you here, allow me a few words to talk about the future of the ICGA. And if you think there is value in it please address it to the ICGA board members.

I see a looming scenario that future WCC cycles become worthless because the strongest engines can not participate due to rule no.2. The problem is already present. For the upcoming WC cycle the ICGA is already in the situation that 4-5 of the strongest engines, all candidates for the title, actually all of those 4-5 will have a top ranking when allowed. This number will increase the coming years because of the free source code out there estimated elo 3000+ What is the purpose any longer of a WC title if the strongest engines can't compete?

The ICGA is in need for a new rule no.2 that can stand the heat of the 2011 kitchen.

The ICGA also can play a major role in the restoration of the current chaos in computer chess land created by the clones. This small community needs new criteria, a new structure and hold on for programmers. A discussion about this is started at Rybka Forum. I proposed a brainstorm model that perhaps has a future.

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=22719

Thanks.
Everything is too simplistic for you, kid.

Taking IDEAS is not stealing. Taking algorithms is not stealing. ideas and algorithms are NOT protected by copyright law. It is quite deliberate that they are not protected, because the purpose of copyright law is to encourage the publication of innovation AND allow sufficient loopholes for others to build on that innovation. Something copyright law achieves by (a) timing out and (b) distinguishing between the idea and the specific expression of the idea. It creates even more loopholes on the idea/expression concept by introducing the "filtration" concept such that DIRECT COPY is lawful under certain specific circumstances as well.

In an attempt to circumvent the spirit of copyright law, certain programmer(s) have attempted to introduce extra conditions re tournament entry and so on. These conditions are being treated as onerous and unenforceable. A certain programmer has announced he has no intention of enforcement in any case. In a legal sense these extra conditions can be safely ignored. The particular programmer, unwilling to enforce his conditions himself (because he can't) now runs to tournament organisers, the icga and anyone else he can influence and tries to get them to enforce his terms for him.

The result is a mish-mash of inconsistent and self-contradictory and highly confusing rules of engagement for programmers, particularly new programmers.

The best course of action for programmers is the same course of action they have probably all been applying for years anyway, namely ....

Thanks very much for the open source, we will go through it backwards and forwards lawfully taking ideas. We reject your special fancy terms and conditions as onerous and unlawful and unenforceable. Bye and thanks for all the fish, so to speak.

Meanwhile, and to avoid sinking into meaningless oblivion, the icga should tell Hyatt to quit hassling them and other tournament organisers and rating lists and, if he feels so strongly about it, to go to law, otherwise shut up. Rule #2 is out of date and inconsistent with the current situation. It should be scrapped and tournament organisers operate on the basis that, unless a program is illegal/unlawful then it can be entered into any tournament or rating list.
Actually ideas _are_ protected by copyright law. It seems crystal clear to me. If the idea is specified clearly and concisely and with specificity, then it is as protected as anything, ie the plot of a book/movie, etc. I don't think anybody wants to exclude sharing ideas. That has been a cornerstone of computer chess research since the 60's.

However, by the same token, I don't think anyone wants to see 100 copies of robolito and cousins in a tournament either. That is a serious problem. So while Rule 2 does, as Jeremy said, need some tweaking (something that has been discussed a bit previously) doing away with it is not going to be a popular decision, IMHO. Changing the rules to make current Rybka OK is not going to be a popular decision. The problem will become when there are so many clone "authors" around that they become the majority. That's certainly something that has to be avoided.

Whether we need to start some sort of "any source, any anything goes" event for those that just can't write original software, or something less drastic is a good question. But we will always want a "pure" event where people can test their ideas and code against others... Others that are original also.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:18 am

Rebel wrote: BB,

I double checked, did a search on the word "notes" (even on "note") but the information simply is gone.
[...]
Care to explain ?

Thanks.
I've never been happy with the "Search" function here, as it ignores "common" words -- and it seems that anything I want to find is always "common" :( . A better way is simply to search by person, and then thumb through recent posts. I'm not sure I used the word "notes" in that post in any event (it seems that "listing" was the word choice).

Zach indicated where the evidence is, though I seriously did consider making it a PDF [another hour of "billing time" :lol: ], so as to be easier to find. Maybe I should have opened a new thread, though that again seemed extraneous.

I also made a correction to the ordering in this post. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1559&start=50#p13748
Rebel wrote:That was before you started the 2 silly PM's, yes ?
I will agree not to send "silly" PMs, if you agree not to make "silly" posts. ;)
Rebel wrote: Well, looks an easy job to me to compare the 3 UCI signatures of Fruit / Rybka / Strelka.

Do they match ?
Again you seem to be asking for a conclusion, while I would rather point you to the evidence, and let you decide and/or argue it through -- sorry if this is not what you wanted. In this regard, see 6.3 of RYBKA_FRUIT. I could expand the evidential enumeration therein [as 6.3 is a condensed patchwork of various points], but for you I see no point in that [and you'd have to assume that I did it correctly]. In this regard (for UCI parsing), I don't think Strelka's source code is a good surrogate for Rybka (should I conclude it's thereby not a clone/derivative?! :shock: ). Better to look at Rick Fadden's disassembly (the link is in 6.3), if you want more details.
What will you say when the FSF finds Vas guilty of copyright infringement???
Pretty pointless huh?
Take care.
I really hope the FSF follows this one through, just so we all get to see you blame yet another organization (and everyone else) for Vas' misconduct...
The FSF essentially exists to follow cases like this through (along with its legal arm, the SFLC), and has already decided to pursue it. I think (haven't heard in awhile, and France treats August as a month for vacation) they are currently chasing down contact details for all known R1-R232a distributors as the initial course of action, and will send them [in an official manner] their standard form letter, asking them to comply with the GPL restrictions regarding source code availability, blah-blah-blah.

Assembling the case for monetary damages will then occur later. I'm not in the loop, but my impression is that it is essentially "certain" that the case will be seen through (one way or the other), according to Fabien's wishes. The evidence is more than sufficient, as is the magnitude of any benefits derived from Fruit-infringement. If the FSF didn't go through with this, one might wonder what the use of transferring copyright to them could possibly be.

As such, my opinion is that there is principally one endpoint at this juncture: a drawn-out court case [maybe in multiple jurisdictions, but as I say, the FSF/SFLC have little better to do -- this case is probably even a "big fish" to them!]. And as Don Dailey put it (amidst a barrage of other comments), the inevitable verdict of "guilty" for copyright infringement seems clear. The only question is the percentage award. Combined with the quirks of Polish copyright law (triple damages, and a 2x contribution to a "Ministry Fund for Creativity" -- see pages 1049-50 here, or Sections 79,1-2 of the Polish Copyright Act), I don't think that a maximal liability for Rajlich of 7 figures (in euros) is any exaggeration, though it depends on the exact percentages awarded, not to mention the actual extent of Rybka profitability.

OTOH, the FSF itself mostly cares about its "free software" philosophy, and only pursues damages on the behalf of those who transfer them copyright, at least until lawyers get involved [when they also ask for compensation therein]. Simply changing the "demo version" to be R3 instead of R232a should suffice for them. Similarly, I wouldn't think Fabien is against a reasonable settlement , though he also seems just as willing to let the FSF/SFLC grind the wheels of justice. But as CW recently put it [in a Rybka Forum thread remarkably free of spam!], in computer chess there's never compromise solutions, and comments from more than one "Rybka Forum insider" suggest the same.

Chris Whittington

Post by Chris Whittington » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:36 am

BB+ wrote:
Rebel wrote: BB,

[...]
Care to explain ?

Thanks.
I've never been happy with the "Search" function here, as it ignores "common" words -- and it seems that anything I want to find is always "common" :( . A better way is simply to search by person, and then thumb through recent posts. I'm not sure I used the word "notes" in that post in any event (it seems that "listing" was the word choice).

Zach indicated where the evidence is, though I seriously did consider making it a PDF [another hour of "billing time" :lol: ], so as to be easier to find. Maybe I should have opened a new thread, though that again seemed extraneous.

I also made a correction to the ordering in this post. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1559&start=50#p13748
Rebel wrote:That was before you started the 2 silly PM's, yes ?
I will agree not to send "silly" PMs, if you agree not to make "silly" posts. ;)
Rebel wrote: Well, looks an easy job to me to compare the 3 UCI signatures of Fruit / Rybka / Strelka.

Do they match ?
Again you seem to be asking for a conclusion, while I would rather point you to the evidence, and let you decide and/or argue it through -- sorry if this is not what you wanted. In this regard, see 6.3 of RYBKA_FRUIT. I could expand the evidential enumeration therein [as 6.3 is a condensed patchwork of various points], but for you I see no point in that [and you'd have to assume that I did it correctly]. In this regard (for UCI parsing), I don't think Strelka's source code is a good surrogate for Rybka (should I conclude it's thereby not a clone/derivative?! :shock: ). Better to look at Rick Fadden's disassembly (the link is in 6.3), if you want more details.
What will you say when the FSF finds Vas guilty of copyright infringement???
Pretty pointless huh?
Take care.
The FSF essentially exists to follow cases like this through (along with its legal arm, the SFLC), and has already decided to pursue it. I think (haven't heard in awhile, and France treats August as a month for vacation) they are currently chasing down contact details for all known R1-R232a distributors as the initial course of action, and will send them [in an official manner] their standard form letter, asking them to comply with the GPL restrictions regarding source code availability, blah-blah-blah.

Assembling the case for monetary damages will then occur later. I'm not in the loop, but my impression is that it is essentially "certain" that the case will be seen through (one way or the other), according to Fabien's wishes. The evidence is more than sufficient, as is the magnitude of any benefits derived from Fruit-infringement. If the FSF didn't go through with this, one might wonder what the use of transferring copyright to them could possibly be.

As such, my opinion is that there is principally one endpoint at this juncture: a drawn-out court case [maybe in multiple jurisdictions, but as I say, the FSF/SFLC have little better to do -- this case is probably even a "big fish" to them!]. And as Don Dailey put it (amidst a barrage of other comments), the inevitable verdict of "guilty" for copyright infringement seems clear. The only question is the percentage award. Combined with the quirks of Polish copyright law (triple damages, and a 2x contribution to a "Ministry Fund for Creativity" -- see pages 1049-50 here, or Sections 79,1-2 of the Polish Copyright Act), I don't think that a maximal liability for Rajlich of 7 figures (in euros) is any exaggeration, though it depends on the exact percentages awarded, not to mention the actual extent of Rybka profitability.

OTOH, the FSF itself mostly cares about its "free software" philosophy, and only pursues damages on the behalf of those who transfer them copyright, at least until lawyers get involved [when they also ask for compensation therein]. Simply changing the "demo version" to be R3 instead of R232a should suffice for them. Similarly, I wouldn't think Fabien is against a reasonable settlement , though he also seems just as willing to let the FSF/SFLC grind the wheels of justice. But as CW recently put it [in a Rybka Forum thread remarkably free of spam!], in computer chess there's never compromise solutions, and comments from more than one "Rybka Forum insider" suggest the same.

You have of course pointed out to the FSF that

a) the PST section of the reports stands in ruins
b) there begins to be a suspicion that you cherry picked the comparators on COMP_EVAL
c) the panel was specially selected to exclude critical voices
d) the main panel gatekeeper has been lying and exaggerating the evidence
e) numerous members of the panel and complaining programmers stand to gain from convicting Vas
f) that suspicious matches have also been found with other programs

etc etc

Can you explain why you, as supposed "expert technical witness" is continually trying to terrorise Vas with the quirks of Polish Law? What do the mechanics/logistics of legal process have to do with you exactly, or is your role wider than you lead us to believe?