Newbie question

General discussion about computer chess...
Matioupi

Newbie question

Post by Matioupi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:57 am

Hello,

Can somebody explain the figures that can be seen (on Fritz12 GUI) when an engine is running. I'm not talking about the evaluation of the position, but about the depth figure.
It shows something like depth=A/B and I can't figure the point of the two figures (one must be the actuel depth but what about the other one ?)

Same for the move that is shown (Move Number. Move X/Y) : what are X and Y figures ?

Best regards,

Mathieu

HumbleProgrammer

Re: Newbie question

Post by HumbleProgrammer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:23 pm

My understanding is that this represents the total number of moves being considered, as in "Analyzing move 5 of 43 candidate moves". However, the second (greater) of the number strikes me as being consistently too low, so I suspect that Fritz has already pruned the move set somewhat before reporting the move count. 100% conjecture on my part.

Cheers!
Humble Programmer
,,,^..^,,,

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:13 pm

It is more commonly nomimal depth / maximum depth

Matioupi

Post by Matioupi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:47 pm

Thank you for that information.
And what about the X/Y next to the move information on the first line of Fritz12 GUI ?

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Programs often display two different pieces of information. When they show depth, the sometimes show nominam/max. I don't do this as I believe max is useless information. When they search a new root move, they often show something like Nf3 (13/36) which means that this move (Nf3) is currently being searched, and it is #13 in a move list that contains 36 moves in total...