How controversial is to include others in "controversial"?

General discussion about computer chess...
Von Goom

How controversial is to include others in "controversial"?

Post by Von Goom » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:40 pm

If in order to be rated by CCRL/IPON/CEGT it´s not an issue for an engine to be "controversial" (a category in CCRL) about its origin, why is an issue to have not a name attached to it? (like the ippo* family) Among computer chess enthusiasts who cares about the author? We are most concerned about good computer chess moves, aren't we?

Sean Evans

SkunkButt

Post by Sean Evans » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:22 pm

Von Goom wrote:If in order to be rated by CCRL/IPON/CEGT it´s not an issue for an engine to be "controversial" (a category in CCRL) about its origin, why is an issue to have not a name attached to it? (like the ippo* family) Among computer chess enthusiasts who cares about the author? We are most concerned about good computer chess moves, aren't we?
Okay, I will download Houdini and change the name to SkunkButt and enter it into CCRL/IPON/CEGT...did the lil light bulb go off inside you lil brain yet?

Adam Hair

Re: How controversial is to include others in "controversial

Post by Adam Hair » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:05 am

Von Goom wrote:If in order to be rated by CCRL/IPON/CEGT it´s not an issue for an engine to be "controversial" (a category in CCRL) about its origin, why is an issue to have not a name attached to it? (like the ippo* family) Among computer chess enthusiasts who cares about the author? We are most concerned about good computer chess moves, aren't we?
You should realize that if all end-users felt and acted that way, the engine authors may tell us to f*** off.

Fortunately, many of us care for more than just what we can get. The people who spend the time and effort creating chess engines also matter to us.

Adam

Von Goom

Post by Von Goom » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:50 am

Adam Hair wrote: The people who spend the time and effort creating chess engines also matter to us.
Thank you, Adam. I've got the message. It's true that I was unfair to engine creators. But, now it raises another issue: an author who firms his/her engine with a nickname is still an author. Why discriminate him/her for having chose to remain in a sort of anonymity?

Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Von Goom wrote:
Adam Hair wrote: The people who spend the time and effort creating chess engines also matter to us.
Thank you, Adam. I've got the message. It's true that I was unfair to engine creators. But, now it raises another issue: an author who firms his/her engine with a nickname is still an author. Why discriminate him/her for having chose to remain in a sort of anonymity?
Von Groom,

From talking to some authors, it seems that they prefer other authors use their real name. Perhaps the thought is that a person who hides their name is capable of hiding other things, such as the truth. If I tested an engine to include on the CCRL lists with an anonymous author (like Ippolit), which by the way I could do, several authors that I respect would get upset. I have no desire to do that. Also, the testing I do is for the authors. I prefer to test only engines with a known author(s).

Adam