Getting long games at playchess.com

General discussion about computer chess...
Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Getting long games at playchess.com

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:30 pm

Anyone here have hints about getting longer time-control games (for humans) at playchess.com? I can sit there for an eternity hoping for a rated game longer than 15 minutes. Only vaguely computer chess, but well, it's chess on a computer, so I figured I'd ask.

Uly

Re: Getting long games at playchess.com

Post by Uly » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:17 am

(note I don't go to playchess so I don't really know)

I'd suggest you go to their chatting channel and tell them about your interest of playing long control games, there are probably other people in there interested too (if you explain them why you want to play, and maybe tell them you'd like to examine the game with them after being over, or something), the same people that wouldn't accept such a seek from a "stranger".

At least it would work like that at FICS.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:19 am

Uly wrote:(note I don't go to playchess so I don't really know)

I'd suggest you go to their chatting channel and tell them about your interest of playing long control games, there are probably other people in there interested too (if you explain them why you want to play, and maybe tell them you'd like to examine the game with them after being over, or something), the same people that wouldn't accept such a seek from a "stranger".

At least it would work like that at FICS.
It seems to be a time-of-day thing. I got some 30/30 games later in the evening.

jb

Uly

Post by Uly » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:22 am

Oh well, what I suggested would not work when the people that would play you are sleep.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:37 am

Uly wrote:Oh well, what I suggested would not work when the people that would play you are sleep.
Although my winning chances would dramatically improve.

jb

Uly

Post by Uly » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:03 pm

I've noticed mine drastically improves at FICS in the weekend, say, on Saturdays and Sundays I can defeat more easily people that are much higher in rating, it seems there are more players then (that only play on weekends) and that inflates their rating for some reason relative to those that play all week. I wonder if there's a similar effect at playchess (and sorry for going a bit offtopic).