ChessGUI is back.

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
Matthias Gemuh

Re: ChessGUI is back.

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:29 pm

kingliveson wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
The source code looks like it was coded by some illiterate child :oops: .
It is almost 100% unportable Borland C++ Builder 5 code.
It breaks all programming laws (I am a mechanical engineer). Its program logic is insanely weird, and uses only one thread.

I read somewhere that Arena for Linux may be released this year.

Matthias.
In such case, it will have to be a rewrite -- challenging but very do-able. But would be an interesting task to take on... Another point is, as a ME developing software, the code is probably more efficient than if a CS designed it. :)

Edit: Have you heard of Kylix -> Lazarus?

Is it possible/portable?

kingliveson,

The very powerful Winboard is freely available for Linux.
Why would you waste 5 years struggling to port a very imature unkylixed "GUI" to Linux ?

Matthias.
Aided by engines, GMs can be very strong.
http://www.hylogic.de

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:58 pm

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
The source code looks like it was coded by some illiterate child :oops: .
It is almost 100% unportable Borland C++ Builder 5 code.
It breaks all programming laws (I am a mechanical engineer). Its program logic is insanely weird, and uses only one thread.

I read somewhere that Arena for Linux may be released this year.

Matthias.
In such case, it will have to be a rewrite -- challenging but very do-able. But would be an interesting task to take on... Another point is, as a ME developing software, the code is probably more efficient than if a CS designed it. :)

Edit: Have you heard of Kylix -> Lazarus?

Is it possible/portable?

kingliveson,

The very powerful Winboard is freely available for Linux.
Why would you waste 5 years struggling to port a very imature unkylixed "GUI" to Linux ?

Matthias.
For one, XBoard does not provide many of the features found in ChessGUI, especially when it comes to tournament. 2nd, some computers here are Windows free, and would be nice to have native support. I understand it's a part-time hobby though.

Also, Lazarus compiler/IDE offer a way should you ever decided to support Linux -- from what I've managed to gather thus far, you shouldn't have too much a difficult time since the visual component libraries used in your current environment have already been ported and are compatible. Just something to think about for future references...
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:31 pm

kingliveson wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote: The very powerful Winboard is freely available for Linux.

Matthias.
For one, XBoard does not provide many of the features found in ChessGUI, especially when it comes to tournament. 2nd, some computers here are Windows free, and would be nice to have native support. I understand it's a part-time hobby though.

Also, Lazarus compiler/IDE offer a way should you ever decided to support Linux -- from what I've managed to gather thus far, you shouldn't have too much a difficult time since the visual component libraries used in your current environment have already been ported and are compatible. Just something to think about for future references...
Would you do the porting personally, and not show my source code to anyone ?
Nothing is documented. Program flow is a mystery. Strange approaches are chosen to tackle 10x8 chess variants also.
No routine has clear logic. Nothing seems to do what it does. The whole thing stinks. It is disgusting.
All features were added too late, by-passing design. Are you still interested ? :shock:

Matthias.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote: The very powerful Winboard is freely available for Linux.

Matthias.

Would you do the porting personally, and not show my source code to anyone ?
Nothing is documented. Program flow is a mystery. Strange approaches are chosen to tackle 10x8 chess variants also.
No routine has clear logic. Nothing seems to do what it does. The whole thing stinks. It is disgusting.
All features were added too late, by-passing design. Are you still interested ? :shock:

Matthias.
Well, since there are no other volunteers, I will definitely take the challenge. Your source will be secured using Serpent-Twofish-AES encryption with 256 bits key size each per algorithm. :) On a serious note, your wish will be respected should you allow me to take on the project. If you mean the source is not well structured, that's nothing to be embarrassed about -- as many start off like that, and later do a complete re-write.

Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:20 am

kingliveson wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote: Would you do the porting personally, and not show my source code to anyone ?

Matthias.
Well, since there are no other volunteers, I will definitely take the challenge. Your source will be secured using Serpent-Twofish-AES encryption with 256 bits key size each per algorithm. :) On a serious note, your wish will be respected should you allow me to take on the project. If you mean the source is not well structured, that's nothing to be embarrassed about -- as many start off like that, and later do a complete re-write.
Give me 2 weeks to stare at Lazarus. He was dead for 4 days.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:21 am

More probing concludes Lazarus is not a viable approach for porting hence leaving only one other option...

Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:36 am

kingliveson wrote:
More probing concludes Lazarus is not a viable approach for porting hence leaving only one other option...
And Lazarus seemed to be the only viable approach for porting, hence porting is not possible :evil: .

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:44 am

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
And Lazarus seemed to be the only viable approach for porting, hence porting is not possible :evil: .
In the interim, am able to run your latest release (0217) with wine64 which allows 64 bit engines, taking slight performance hit though.