the "clones" issue for a user point of view

General discussion about computer chess...
Harvey Williamson

Re: the "clones" issue for a user point of view

Post by Harvey Williamson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:54 pm

kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
stvs wrote: would we have better engines than 2800 elo level fritz and shredder ?
There are 3 Humans with elo above 2800. I would bet that Fritz and Shredder would destroy them all in a match.
Depends on hardware. :)
I would take the challenge with my iPhome 4 + Hiarcs.
Harvey Williamson wrote:I guess for the engine players there is no CTG support?

1 GHz (?) CPU combined with ~3000+ Elo program shouldn't pose too much of a problem for GMs like Carlsen, Nakamura, Anand, etc...
3000 elo in comp v comp games but on Playchess in main room v Humans it is almost 3500 elo. PF4 got a 2931 rating in the GM tournament it played in and that is over a year ago.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
stvs wrote: would we have better engines than 2800 elo level fritz and shredder ?
There are 3 Humans with elo above 2800. I would bet that Fritz and Shredder would destroy them all in a match.

1 GHz (?) CPU combined with ~3000+ Elo program shouldn't pose too much of a problem for GMs like Carlsen, Nakamura, Anand, etc...
3000 elo in comp v comp games but on Playchess in main room v Humans it is almost 3500 elo. PF4 got a 2931 rating in the GM tournament it played in and that is over a year ago.
I bet the hardware is not quite what is described above. Not only that, there's also opening books I presume.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:05 pm

kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

I bet the hardware is not quite what is described above. Not only that, there's also opening books I presume.
The same opening book could be used for the iPhone although on Playchess I usually make the book play some weird stuff. i set it to Surprise!

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:57 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

The same opening book could be used for the iPhone although on Playchess I usually make the book play some weird stuff. i set it to Surprise!
Opening books and tablebases makes it unfair, because humans are not allowed such access. Anyways, I doubt any top GM would take the challenge without a major sponsor.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:03 am

kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

Opening books and tablebases makes it unfair, because humans are not allowed such access. Anyways, I doubt any top GM would take the challenge without a major sponsor.
Has a match ever been played against a computer with no book and a Top GM? I do not remember one. No tbs yet on the iPhone. However the GM can have access to a book of his choice for the match.