Chess for Android - Wish

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
Swaminathan

Chess for Android - Wish

Post by Swaminathan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:58 am

First of all, I absolutely love Chess for Android. Good effort, Aart.

If it's not hard to implement, I'd like to see Tactics collections in the GUI. To me this is the single most important contributor to strength improvement of human. Many people would be _more_ motivated to solve tactics in mobile because it's easier and convenient. :)

Tactics collection is available here:
http://wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/gossimit/c/tactic.htm
(especially, the last 4 files)
Logo made by Ulysses P (Vytron)
Co-Authored with Dann Corbit: Strategic Test Suite

AartBik

Re: Chess for Android - Wish

Post by AartBik » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Swaminathan wrote:I'd like to see Tactics collections in the GUI.
Hi Swami,
Thanks for your feature request. I am currently implementing a "load PGN file from SD" feature, including PGN entries with FEN setup positions. This is a first step towards implementing some sort of tactics collection support in the GUI (although a quick glance at your list shows non PGN formats too). Below, for example, you see a screenshot of BikJump solving one of the Bratko/Kopec problems...
Sincerely,
Aart
Attachments
bratkokopec.png

Swaminathan

Post by Swaminathan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:16 am

Thanks, Aart. That looks great! I didn't realize that some of the files are in non pgn format. Chessbase file of .cbh can be converted to Pgn.
I hope that it will be designed in such a way that the problem will be shown as a question with a simple: white to play/Black to play. Once human enters the right move, then the next move will be automatically made else he would then be asked to try again/see the answer. Ofcourse there's no hurry, this is just a request which I would most love to see in the program. :)

Cubeman

Post by Cubeman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:36 am

Can the Strategic test suite be released as a PGN file? Just that I want to test some mobile versions of engines but need them to be in PGN file.

Swaminathan

Post by Swaminathan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:44 am

Cubeman wrote:Can the Strategic test suite be released as a PGN file? Just that I want to test some mobile versions of engines but need them to be in PGN file.
I'd be thankful if somebody in here could covert the EPDs to PGNs of STS files and send them to me, I'll upload them to the site.

I'd like to see how engines perform in STS in Android devices too. We're seeing more engines getting Android compatibility. :)