ComStock 1.0.2 Stockfish with robobases

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
DPM

Re: ComStock 1.0.2 Stockfish with robobases

Post by DPM » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Hello Prima,

I just registered and saw this thread. I've been out for a while but just curious about your problem.

There's pthread for windows (32 and 64 bit). We've used it before in Sloppy and even the old code of Glaurung. Ask Jim (Ablett)!

For 32-bit get it here: http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32/

The only working 64-bit pthread (lib, dll, includes) I know are here: http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Download

Just put them on your MSVC compiler folder and compile! This is the easiest way at the least or try this:
http://locklessinc.com/downloads/winpthreads.h
http://locklessinc.com/articles/pthreads_on_windows/

Don't forget to include the pthreadVC.dll with the binary.

I'm not sure either if the new ICC can use these. But the older versions like ICC10 works well with it.

I hope this helps. I have no compiler to verify at the moment as i'm still far away from my home.

Denis

Prima

Post by Prima » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:08 am

Hello Denis. So good to see and hear from you. It's been ages! How's everything, family, health and work? I never thought you would surface again.

Thanks for the explanation and suggestion about the pthread.h issue. I learned how to compile from KLO, gaad, Jeremy Berstein, and BB+ about 4-5+ weeks ago. Thanks guys.

For just the sheer exercise of it, I've been compiling 'clean code' engines in both 32 & 64-bit engines like Stockfish/Glaurung, Toga (in 32-bits since it benefits from it), Fruit 2.1, Grapefruit, PolyGlot adapters (32 & 64-bits), and whatever free source codes I can get my hands on but this Comstock engine baffles me. It's unlike other engines, since it has the "Linux things" and "Windows" to sort through in a Windows environment. It's another "computer stuff" learned though.

Anyway, I've downloaded the 64-bit pthread stuff from the link you provided. I'll get the 32-bit version later - there were so many of the 32-bit pthreads and attempting a download looked like it was going to take long.

Thanks Denis (and all) for the tip, I appreciate this. Seriously, good to know you're alive. You vanished just like that. Welcome.

Best regards,
Prima.

DPM

Post by DPM » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:25 am

Prima wrote:Hello Denis. So good to see and hear from you. It's been ages! How's everything, family, health and work? I never thought you would surface again.

Thanks for the explanation and suggestion about the pthread.h issue. I learned how to compile from KLO, gaad, Jeremy Berstein, and BB+ about 4-5+ weeks ago. Thanks guys.

For just the sheer exercise of it, I've been compiling 'clean code' engines in both 32 & 64-bit engines like Stockfish/Glaurung, Toga (in 32-bits since it benefits from it), Fruit 2.1, Grapefruit, PolyGlot adapters (32 & 64-bits), and whatever free source codes I can get my hands on but this Comstock engine baffles me. It's unlike other engines, since it has the "Linux things" and "Windows" to sort through in a Windows environment. It's another "computer stuff" learned though.

Anyway, I've downloaded the 64-bit pthread stuff from the link you provided. I'll get the 32-bit version later - there were so many of the 32-bit pthreads and attempting a download looked like it was going to take long.

Thanks Denis (and all) for the tip, I appreciate this. Seriously, good to know you're alive. You vanished just like that. Welcome.

Best regards,
Prima.
Yes, I had a long coma in computerchess. I'm just active with my career right now, not like before (jobless and at home :( ). I just visit forums for the news.
I'm sure you'll get error-free compiles soon. Jim and Dann (Corbit) had many posts on using pthreads in the old Winboard forum. But adapting codes from Linux to Windows compilers may not be just using my suggestions.

Denis

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi Prima,

I've had a visitor so I haven't really looked into any of this and need to catch up on some other work -- hopefully will have more time come next weekend.

It might be possible that the point behind this reply wasn't too clear:
Windows is not a POSIX compliant environment, you'll need Cygwin or other POSIX implementation for the system to compile pthread.h. So this tells me you are not "defining" something correctly (or it can't see it) as it should not be trying to compile that particular header file which naturally does not exist in the system.
The Pthread library is useful only if you wanted to build the source using Unix-like environment under Windows. By correctly setting up the source/directories and using proper "#define" you do not need any of the POSIX (unix) stuff.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Prima

Post by Prima » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:24 am

DPM wrote:I'm sure you'll get error-free compiles soon. Jim and Dann (Corbit) had many posts on using pthreads in the old Winboard forum. But adapting codes from Linux to Windows compilers may not be just using my suggestions.

Denis
I bet I'll get some errors. I'll attempt to contact JA or DC as suggested. The adaptation of the pthreads looks to be quite an effort - for non programmers like me. So much to learn. Thanks Denis.

Regards.
kingliveson wrote:Hi Prima,

I've had a visitor so I haven't really looked into any of this and need to catch up on some other work -- hopefully will have more time come next weekend.

It might be possible that the point behind this reply wasn't too clear:
Windows is not a POSIX compliant environment, you'll need Cygwin or other POSIX implementation for the system to compile pthread.h. So this tells me you are not "defining" something correctly (or it can't see it) as it should not be trying to compile that particular header file which naturally does not exist in the system.
The Pthread library is useful only if you wanted to build the source using Unix-like environment under Windows. By correctly setting up the source/directories and using proper "#define" you do not need any of the POSIX (unix) stuff.
Kingliveson, take your time to tend to your guest. No hurries here. This weekend, I'll take on Denis' suggestions on pthreads and attempts to contact JA & DC. So when you're ready, I may learn a thing or two on proper "#define" usage from Linux-related source in Windows. I appreciate this Kingliveson.

Regards.