Chess for Android 2.5

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
AartBik

Re: Chess for Android 2.5

Post by AartBik » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:47 pm

pj+ wrote:Yes, please create application with network permissions.
My pleasure. Without the UCI client I obviously cannot do any testing (is it possible for you to share the client with us?), but please try the following Chess for Android with network permissions, and let me know how that works for you:

http://www.aartbik.com/MISC/DATA/NetworkChess.apk

JesseGersenson

Post by JesseGersenson » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:10 pm

Aart,

you're fast!

I've got the freshly installed "Android SDK and AVD manager" and installing your network-capable app now via the emulator.

Not sure what you meant by 'could you share the client with us?' I sent a link for the application, netchess, which I use.
http://home.arcor.de/bernhard.wallner/netChess.html

to use netchess's terms, the "engineClient" will be the android phone/emulator. it will connect to an "engineServer".
If you run engineClient/engineClient.exe, you will be asked for a name, ip address, and port -- where engineServer is running.

will try it now. Thanks.

AartBik

Post by AartBik » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:35 pm

JesseGersenson wrote:I sent a link for the application, netchess, which I use.
Do you have a client compiled for Android (ARMv5TE) that behaves as an UCI engine, but "under water" connects to a chess server? I don't see an ARM binary on the link you provided, and have no TCL compiler for Android. I was hoping pj+ could provide an ARM chess client.

JesseGersenson

Post by JesseGersenson » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:04 pm

I have neither.

pj+ could you send Aart the ARM chess client you were able to run from the command line?

perhaps this would be useful:
http://www.evolane.com/software/etcl/in ... nloadlinux

pj+

Post by pj+ » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:06 am

AartBik wrote:[
My pleasure. Without the UCI client I obviously cannot do any testing (is it possible for you to share the client with us?), but please try the following Chess for Android with network permissions, and let me know how that works for you
Thanks Aart.

It did not work, still permission problem. I even tried to set client as setuid root, and run as it as app user, still did not work. It is connecting only as root.

When I wrote client I did not know that Tcl/Tk exists for android. Here is another one http://www.patthoyts.tk/tclkit/ . Maybe it is better to use it, I did not try.

Client is quick and dirty and tested very little. I had hostname and port hardcoded, but it was easy to change to command line input for you to try.
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/269501 ... ndroid-cli
On "quit" it should quit engine running on server, kill client and leave server running for next connection.

tano-urayoan

Post by tano-urayoan » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:01 am

pj+ wrote:Aart,

when I am trying to import client program in Chess for Android, which is suppose to connect to port of external computer and behaves for all purposes as uci engine running on that computer, client program is not getting imported. On the other hand, on android I can run client in the shell,, and it is working very well. What is the problem here? Is Chess for Android somehow blocking external connections, permission problem or something else? Do you know how to solve it?

In shell I was running client as root
I think stockfish has this capability, have you check it?

pj+

Post by pj+ » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:44 pm

tano-urayoan wrote:
I think stockfish has this capability, have you check it?
You probably referring to glaurung for iphone http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35242
No I did not try it. And as I understand it works only with stockfish.

JesseGersenson

Post by JesseGersenson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:03 pm

pj+ could you please repost the file. The link to speedshare does not work.

Aart, after a little looking - a very primative process could use
nc and fifo

trying to figure out exactly how now.

JesseGersenson

Post by JesseGersenson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:54 pm

on server (192.168.1.1)
1. mknod fifo
2. nc -l 7777 0<fifo | stockfish 1>fifo

on device
1. nc 192.168.1.1 7777

i think that should work. can't figure out how to make
nc 192.168.1.1 7777
into an executable script which could then be loaded as an engine.
i log in via ./adb shell
... then what?

pj+

Post by pj+ » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:09 am

pj+ wrote: Thanks Aart.
It did not work, still permission problem. I even tried to set client as setuid root, and run as it as app user, still did not work. It is connecting only as root.
Actually it does connect. Not sure why it did not work first time. But I first wiped out chess for android and permblocker and then installed them again, and now client can connect to the socket while run by Chess for Android. I see Chess for Android sending uci and getting response, however, it does not recognize client as chess engine. It maybe due to some little thing like end of line, not sure how Chess for Android does parsing.
JesseGersenson wrote:pj+ could you please repost the file. The link to speedshare does not work.
File is still there