Maintenance update Houdini 1.5a is available

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
Robert Houdart

Maintenance update Houdini 1.5a is available

Post by Robert Houdart » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:03 pm

The maintenance update Houdini 1.5a is available, see http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm .

This update is primarily aimed at Fritz GUI users, and fixes two problems Houdini 1.5 experienced in the Fritz GUI:
- Long engine matches could generate time control issues
- Deep Position analysis didn't work properly

There are some other minor improvements related to Gaviota EGTB detection and usage.
Houdini 1.5a doesn't contain any changes in evaluation or search, and will produce the same analyses and game performance as Houdini 1.5.

Enjoy Houdini!

Robert

Robert Houdart

Re: Maintenance update Houdini 1.5a is available

Post by Robert Houdart » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:21 pm

I've had the question whether testers can substitute Houdini 1.5 with Houdini 1.5a, or if it should be retested.

In my opinion there's no need to retest, for all practical purposes (except the Fritz GUI) Houdini 1.5a = Houdini 1.5.
Like I wrote in the announcement: "Houdini 1.5a doesn't contain any changes in evaluation or search, and will produce the same analyses and game performance as Houdini 1.5." One can easily verify this by running a single-thread analysis from the start position.

Robert

Vael Jean-Paul

Post by Vael Jean-Paul » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Thank you very much Robert..i will test it out for sure ;)

JP.

SSTATHIS

Post by SSTATHIS » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:48 am

Robert Houdart wrote:The maintenance update Houdini 1.5a is available, see http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm .

This update is primarily aimed at Fritz GUI users, and fixes two problems Houdini 1.5 experienced in the Fritz GUI:
- Long engine matches could generate time control issues
- Deep Position analysis didn't work properly

There are some other minor improvements related to Gaviota EGTB detection and usage.
Houdini 1.5a doesn't contain any changes in evaluation or search, and will produce the same analyses and game performance as Houdini 1.5.

Enjoy Houdini!

Robert
Hi Robert....
What about the problem in Arena 3? Almost always Houdini with ponder on lost in tournaments after book mooves with "Arena Adjudication. Illegal move!"!!!!!!

Robert Houdart

Post by Robert Houdart » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:43 pm

SSTATHIS wrote:Hi Robert....
What about the problem in Arena 3? Almost always Houdini with ponder on lost in tournaments after book mooves with "Arena Adjudication. Illegal move!"!!!!!!
Does the same problem exist in Arena 2.5 or Arena 2.0?

Robert

SSTATHIS

Post by SSTATHIS » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Robert Houdart wrote:
SSTATHIS wrote:Hi Robert....
Does the same problem exist in Arena 2.5 or Arena 2.0?

Robert
No problem with arena 2. I don't checked it with arena 2.5. I have already send to Michael Diosi (arena) engine logs to solve the problem..

Swaminathan

Post by Swaminathan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:49 am

Thanks a lot, Robert.

Keep up the good work!
Logo made by Ulysses P (Vytron)
Co-Authored with Dann Corbit: Strategic Test Suite

JohnS

Post by JohnS » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:55 am

Robert Houdart wrote:The maintenance update Houdini 1.5a is available, see http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm .
Why is there such a big differene in files sizes (966kb for 1.5-w32 and 1.59Mb for 1.5a-w32)?

Robert Houdart

Post by Robert Houdart » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:15 am

JohnS wrote:
Why is there such a big differene in files sizes (966kb for 1.5-w32 and 1.59Mb for 1.5a-w32)?
Houdini has a special multi-threading architecture in which each thread has its own code. The more threads, the larger the executable.

The December 15 H1.5 w32 build was for maximum 4 threads.
The December 19 H1.5 w32 build (with large page correction) and the current H1.5a are for maximum 8 threads.

Robert

mattchess

Post by mattchess » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Just to confirm, I have run into the same issue with ponder turned on for engine tournaments in Arena. Occasionally Houdini's games get adjudicated for an illegal move. I noticed this when running a tournament between Houdini and Stockfish (both 64 bit) starting from a french KIA through move 2. If it would be helpful I can post the results here.

That said - this is my first post here and I want to thank you very much for a fantastic chess engine and making it available to us. I recently switched over to Arena and SCID after having been using Fritz/chessbase all the time. I am a SCID/Arena convert at this point and Houdini has been a great asset to me in analysis. So thank you again.