Thinker 5.3b inert?

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
AnthonyTheSage

Thinker 5.3b inert?

Post by AnthonyTheSage » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Does anybody know where I can get This version of Thinker? Thinker 5.3b inert has the best playing style of the bunch. When I try to download it from the thinker archives. My virus scanner goes crazy. Wondering if anybody knows where I can find a clean download.

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Thinker 5.3b inert?

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:17 pm

AnthonyTheSage wrote:Does anybody know where I can get This version of Thinker? Thinker 5.3b inert has the best playing style of the bunch. When I try to download it from the thinker archives. My virus scanner goes crazy. Wondering if anybody knows where I can find a clean download.
What kind of virus scanner goes crazy :!: :?:

AnthonyTheSage

Post by AnthonyTheSage » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:29 pm

avast antivirus says win32 trojan?

Uly

Post by Uly » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:44 pm

I got my copy from here:

http://cid-2991af457de54bf0.office.live ... spx/Public

That one is clean, if you get virus alert, it's a false positive.

BTW, I was the guy praising the style of Thinker 5.3B Inert, but I have two things to add:

1. I never tested the 5.4D Inert version, and heard reports that it plays actually in a better style than 5.3B version, so I'd suggest you compare them.

2. If you only care about style, strength be damned, try the 5.4D Passive version, that sacrifices strength to maximize style. It's just that it sacrifices too much strength in my opinion, and since I'd rater have a high strength and style ratio, I'd rather go with the Inert version, mainly because Thinker's style is awesome as is, one doesn't need to sacrifice strength to enhance it.

AnthonyTheSage

Post by AnthonyTheSage » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:16 am

-Your talking to a guy who still used Pro Deo 1.2 for analysis. Thats how much I care about style. Anyways I tried all the 5.4 versions. They all suck. Its funny because people still talk about Thinkers playing style, and it doesn't even play that way anymore. I guess it just goes to show you how legendary 5.3b was. It also goes to show you that noboddy really pays attention to the games, they just let the computer play overnight. 5.4C and D active aren't bad but they tend to trade down pieces to quickly.
-That link you posted is the one that I get the win32 trojan warning from Avast.
-Do you not get any warnings from your virus software?

-Is that the only link that you know about? Anybody know of any rapidshare etc. links?

Uly

Post by Uly » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:38 am

The link I posted was the one that was linked from the now defunct http://www.geocities.com/thechessthinker/download.html site, so it's the official link. Back then, when I downloaded the files, I didn't get any warnings from AVG 7.5.

I noticed the great drop in playing style with Thinker 5.4A, and even made a big fuss about it, however, I recall that Thinker 5.3b Passive had the most impressive playing style, but it would go and lose most of its games, so I sticked with Inert, is it really that 5.3b Inert has more strength and style than 5.3b Passive?

Back to topic, I used to wear a "Pro Deo #1 Fan" avatar, and collected more than a hundred personalities at some point, so it's striking when you tell me that you still use the 1.2 version, since I couldn't notice any drop in style with the 1.6 version, and, anyway, for style I always liked the Q3 Tactical engine personality the best, at depth 10 it's still at the same strength of Rybka 4 at depth 5.

AnthonyTheSage

Post by AnthonyTheSage » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm pretty sure Pro Deo 1.2 and 1.6 are exactly the same engine. I think the only diff is some kinda eoc database learning function, and some extra tools packaged with 1.6. I think the learning functions may actually make the engine worse. Most rating lists put 1.2 above 1.6. Anyways I don't think you can get much better than 1.2 as far as style goes. My only wish is that is had multi pv. But I guess nothings perfect.

Uly

Post by Uly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:37 am

If I recall correctly ProDeo remained the same up to the 1.5 version, for 1.6 Ed actually went and worked on the code, he was disappointed because the improvement wasn't dramatic, but it was there.

AnthonyTheSage

Post by AnthonyTheSage » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:49 am

I guess I'll have to try 1.6 then. Thanks