world computer chess champion.

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
Drog1966

world computer chess champion.

Post by Drog1966 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:52 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but after skimping through some of the topics,i am picking up the general picture that there's a new super engine in town by the name of Fire,now i don't use my collection of engines to the extent that you chaps do.i like playing through my engines with short and long time controls,enjoying many good battles engine vs engine, i have two dual core AMD 5600+ Athlons, so my engines aren't using quads, but non the less,my systems are still able to give ample needs to my collection,getting to the point,Last time i checked Rybka was still world CPU chess champion, and for the record Rybka 3 and 4 dominate my leagues,Am i led to believe this new engine fire is a match for rybka 3 and 4,Ive noticed rybka 4s end game isn't as strong as 3s,but non the less rybkas rule in my camp,feedback appreciated.post quote WCCC RESULTS 2007 Rybka.2008 Rybka,2009 Rybka.

Uly

Re: world computer chess champion.

Post by Uly » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:29 pm

An important point is that Fire is based on reverse engineered Rybka code (Ippolit). Rybka 4 stills edges Fire. Houdini, also based on Ippolit is surpassing Rybka 4 in several tests, but it's due to Rybka 4's bad time management, with a setting of Normal Move Time=80 Rybka's time management isn't as bad at repeating time controls, in such conditions Rybka 4 should remain the top engine.

Drog1966

Post by Drog1966 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:32 pm

thank you for your feedback Ovyron

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:01 pm

With almost 100% confidence -- on short time controls REGARDLESS of what you set Rybka 4 at -- once Houdini 1.03 has the correct split depth set (uci settings 12 might work better than default 10) it will dominate Rybka 4 on your system.. However, at long time control i am not sure.
Also Ivanhoe beats or equals R4 at short time control.

R4 dominance might still be found at LTC but at blitz R4 is no longer #1

also see:

http://www.inwoba.de/index.html

where Rybka is not # 1

Uly

Post by Uly » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Charles wrote:at blitz R4 is no longer #1
Clarifying: At blitz on game in x or incremental time controls Rybka isn't number 1. Still is at Repeating time controls, where she's closer to her true potential regarding time management.

Hood

Post by Hood » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:47 am

Ovyron wrote:An important point is that Fire is based on reverse engineered Rybka code (Ippolit).
It is not proved, nor showed. Gossip looking like slaundery.
Smolensk 2010. Murder or accident... Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programms. There are programms with undiscovered bugs.
Alleluia.

thorstenczub

Post by thorstenczub » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:59 am

as far as i see it, you have to differenciate blitz-results and active chess results and tournament-time control results.

e.g. in blitz results, especially in very fast games, the new "cloned" programs are very succesful.
but the more time you give the programs, the better rybka4 scores.

also stockfish and crab are very strong. in a tournament i am doing in the moment
with 40/20 time controls, ALL cloned programs have no chance against rybka or stockfish.

Peter C

Post by Peter C » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Ovyron wrote:An important point is that Fire is based on reverse engineered Rybka code (Ippolit). Rybka 4 stills edges Fire. Houdini, also based on Ippolit is surpassing Rybka 4 in several tests, but it's due to Rybka 4's bad time management, with a setting of Normal Move Time=80 Rybka's time management isn't as bad at repeating time controls, in such conditions Rybka 4 should remain the top engine.
Er, what Ovyron says here is a flat out lie. Except that yeah, Rybka 4 edges Fire 1.31, but not 1.1 with Dr. Deeb's special settings.

Peter

Uly

Post by Uly » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:58 pm

Peter C wrote:Er, what Ovyron says here is a flat out lie.
What part?

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Peter C wrote:
Ovyron wrote:An important point is that Fire is based on reverse engineered Rybka code (Ippolit). Rybka 4 stills edges Fire. Houdini, also based on Ippolit is surpassing Rybka 4 in several tests, but it's due to Rybka 4's bad time management, with a setting of Normal Move Time=80 Rybka's time management isn't as bad at repeating time controls, in such conditions Rybka 4 should remain the top engine.
Er, what Ovyron says here is a flat out lie. Except that yeah, Rybka 4 edges Fire 1.31, but not 1.1 with Dr. Deeb's special settings.

Peter
FireBird 1.1 with my special settings EP8+ renamed to Dr.Deeb I,is eating alive Deep Rybka 4,Houdini 1.03a and several Ivanhoe's in a big tournament at long time controls where every engine will play 128 games....I am amazed how these settings are so powerful :shock:
I will publish the results and the games when the tournament is done....will take a while though....I don't expect any engine to come near FireBird 1.1 Dr.Deeb I in the near future....
Cheers,
Dr.D