Ghost 2.0.1 dies in Arena but not Shredder Classic

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
Hagen

Ghost 2.0.1 dies in Arena but not Shredder Classic

Post by Hagen » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:43 pm

I really don't understand this. When I downloaded and tested the new Winboard release of Ghost 2.0.1 released today (check Ridderkerk site)...I did as specified - I logged the engine as a Winboard configuration in Arena 2.01 and tried to play the engine in a quick 5 minute blitz game. For reasons that are completely beyond my comprehension...the engine simply doesn't respond and worst of all loading the engine leaves it with no hash. Repeatedly reloading doesn't fix the problem. The hash is always set at zero?! Now for the funny stuff...I load the same engine using Shredder Classic. Guess what? it works...even though it still doesn't load anything to the hash file!

If the programmer to Ghost is reading this forum...please fix this bug. This is a good engine...but for reasons I can't explain the engine is not loading any of the hash and dies in Arena. Granted...this is just my experience using it but clearly something from my end is not working. But at the same time the engine does work in Shredder Classic so I'm wondering what Shredder is doing right that Arena can't figure out.

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Ghost 2.0.1 dies in Arena but not Shredder Classic

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:41 pm

F11,in the Command Line Options under the Arena GUI,enter this:

hash 896 pawnhash 128
Dr.D

P.S.Don't include Dr.D,it won't work for you :lol:

Hagen

Post by Hagen » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:40 pm

I tried your suggestion but this stilll doens't work correctly with Arena. But Shredder Classic the engine works fine.

M1ck1

Post by M1ck1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:25 am

Hello,

I hope I can help you with the settings for Arena. Use the following command line parameters (under Engine Managment):

--xboard --read_settings settings.cfg --hash trans 256M --personality=0

You can also try other settings for the "personality", within the range of about -20 to 20, where -20 makes it play more "static" (or maybe boring) and 20 makes it play more tactical and crazy (but 0 should be a pretty optimal setting anyway).

You can also obviously try other settings for the hash table size... Arena displays a hash size of 0 when the engine fails to start or crashes for any other reason, so that doesn't mean the hash table size is actually zero. Maybe there is something wrong with the settings.cfg file (should be in the same directory as the ghost executable!).

Set the engine type to "Winboard". It should work. Let me know if it still doesn't...

regards,
Michael

Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:45 am

It works under ChessGUI.

Ghost2_win32_v2_0_1 :: Flags = WB1, CommandLine = --read_settings settings.cfg
Aided by engines, GMs can be very strong.
http://www.hylogic.de

M1ck1

Post by M1ck1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:10 pm

So did it work for you?

I never had any problems running Ghost 2 in Arena, I've done thousands of test games there.

Gerold

Post by Gerold » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:44 am

M1ck1 wrote:So did it work for you?

I never had any problems running Ghost 2 in Arena, I've done thousands of test games there.
I downloaded it and loaded it in Arena as wb1 engine.
It worked just fine.

Best,
Gerold.