Eman 9.2

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
EmptikBest

Eman 9.2

Post by EmptikBest » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:52 am

Hello, does anyone have a download link to Eman 9.2??

Eduard Nemeth

Re: Eman 9.2

Post by Eduard Nemeth » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:46 am

Eman is a private Stockfish clone engine with no source code. That's why there is no download link.
Peace be with you!

maestro777

Post by maestro777 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:40 pm

It's a shame that such a great and strong show can't be shared just because of the fact that Mr. Omar Khalid didn't want to open his source code, particularly I think he's right, why is he obligated to open his source code? I think the Stockfish team is afraid of competition, they want a monopoly on chess programs, and when someone appears with a program that in my opinion is stronger, they put pressure on nobody to have this program.

Thanks for the answer Eduard Nemeth

dorsz

Post by dorsz » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:58 pm

maestro777 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:40 pm
It's a shame that such a great and strong show can't be shared just because of the fact that Mr. Omar Khalid didn't want to open his source code
Yes.
maestro777 wrote:
particularly I think he's right
No.
maestro777 wrote:
why is he obligated to open his source code?
Because his source code is based on Stockfish source code.
maestro777 wrote:
I think the Stockfish team is afraid of competition, they want a monopoly on chess programs, and when someone appears with a program that in my opinion is stronger, they put pressure on nobody to have this program.
How did you come up with it?

Homayoun

Post by Homayoun » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:37 pm

maestro777 wrote:
It's a shame that such a great and strong show can't be shared just because of the fact that Mr. Omar Khalid didn't want to open his source code, particularly I think he's right, why is he obligated to open his source code? I think the Stockfish team is afraid of competition, they want a monopoly on chess programs, and when someone appears with a program that in my opinion is stronger, they put pressure on nobody to have this program.

Thanks for the answer Eduard Nemeth
Hi maestro 777
And according to you this will be a fair competition ? Just for example suppose a strange poker game. one strong player puts his cards on the table and shows everything to others but other players hide their cards at beginning . Can this game be a fair competition? Stockfish team are offering the results
of their works to others without any payment and completely free. In this competition they play fair and clear. They publish their source code and every body can follow their progress . They show everything of their work to every one step by step. Now a few authors take the result of their hours of works, do their changes in source code, make their personal engines and hide everything from the stockfish team and chess community. please do not call it competition. competition has its own meaning. If stockfish team did not publish their source code then could Mr Khalid omar make any engines like Eman. Does he have any original engine for himself too? This will be the question.
Regards

maestro777

Post by maestro777 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:12 pm

Hi homayoun ,
The latest version of the engine Eman that I managed to download over the internet is version 8.91, and I downloaded it for free, as far as I know Khalid Omar never charged a penny for the engine Eman .
Regarding the fact that Eman contains part of the Stockfish source code , well, all engines are Stockfish clones , Eman is already in version 9.3 beta, and people can't have the pleasure of testing Eman simply because the forums of chess decided not to allow their users to post a link to download the new version, because surely many users have already managed to download this new version.
Eman was not created to compete with Stockfish in official tournaments, so I don't know why the chess forums prevent other people from downloading this engine .
If I were a programmer, have no doubt that I would also like to take the Stockfish source code and try to improve it and I wouldn't feel obligated to share the source code with anyone because firstly it would be for my private use, secondly place would not be marketed by me, only my friends would have access to the engine .
This is my opinion, it may not please Stockfish fans but I live in a free country where everyone can have their opinion without being persecuted .

Homayoun

Post by Homayoun » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:44 pm

maestro777 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:12 pm
Hi homayoun ,
The latest version of the engine Eman that I managed to download over the internet is version 8.91, and I downloaded it for free, as far as I know Khalid Omar never charged a penny for the engine Eman .
Regarding the fact that Eman contains part of the Stockfish source code , well, all engines are Stockfish clones , Eman is already in version 9.3 beta, and people can't have the pleasure of testing Eman simply because the forums of chess decided not to allow their users to post a link to download the new version, because surely many users have already managed to download this new version.
Eman was not created to compete with Stockfish in official tournaments, so I don't know why the chess forums prevent other people from downloading this engine .
If I were a programmer, have no doubt that I would also like to take the Stockfish source code and try to improve it and I wouldn't feel obligated to share the source code with anyone because firstly it would be for my private use, secondly place would not be marketed by me, only my friends would have access to the engine .
This is my opinion, it may not please Stockfish fans but I live in a free country where everyone can have their opinion without being persecuted .
My emphasis was on the word competition that you used. I personally think when stockfish team publish their source code and show their work step by step to others so they fear of nothing and they are ready for any kind of fair competition. Like you I like clones too. I use swordfish as my favorite engine and I like its playing style more than stockfish although its just my personal opinion.just personal. I really hope that the problem of clones like Eman also will be solved in future and every body can use every engines he/she wants.
Best regards

dorsz

Post by dorsz » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:16 pm

Homayoun wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:44 pm
people can't have the pleasure of testing Eman simply because the forums of chess decided not to allow their users to post a link to download the new version, because surely many users have already managed to download this new version.
If the author of Eman would like to officially release his engine to everyone, it would certainly be appreciated. Why is he keeping the source a secret? If there is something out there that would make Stockfish stronger why not share it?
maestro777 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:12 pm
Like you said, that's how it is with Eman. It's for private use, only friends have access to it, you're not one of them.

deeds

Post by deeds » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:42 pm

dorsz wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:16 pm
Why is he keeping the source a secret?
Some additions to the source code may be patented or part of a commercial product.
As soon as the source code is available, some do not hesitate to change the name of the engine, add themselves as an author, ask for donations, etc.
Eman is a learning engine, stockfish an amnesic engine, Aurora = Stockfish + learning.

dorsz

Post by dorsz » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:48 pm

The downside of keeping an engine private is small number of users.