Houdini Versions

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
sirabc

Re: Houdini Versions

Post by sirabc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:25 am

This is taken from Mr. Houdart's website. http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm
Tuning the Split_Depth parameter on 4-core and 8-core hardware

The Split_Depth parameter defines the minimum depth at which work will be split between cores. This parameter can impact the speed of the engine (nodes per second) and should be fine-tuned if you're serious about getting the best performance out of your hardware.
The default value 10 is tuned for a Core i5-750 @2.66 GHz, but on other systems it may be advantageous to increase this to 12 or 13.
To select the best Split_Depth for your system you should analyze some positions for a fixed duration (e.g. 30 seconds) and measure the average nodes/second. Do this for all values of Split_Depth between 10 and 14, and keep the value that produces the highest average node speed.

JesseGersenson

Post by JesseGersenson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:52 pm

Robert, could you please compile a version for Linux?

I've gotten your engine's 64-version to work from the command line in Sabayon Linux using the command
wine cmd.exe /K houdini.exe

But, there are errors and the speed is slower than when run native in windows.

Yes, linux has come a long way in the past few years. Ubuntu is a very simple and user friendly debian-based installation.

Sabayon Linux (www.sabayon.org) is gentoo based, includes an active chat room (see their website) and includes many developer tools pre-installed.
here is a direct link to their Gnome iso: ftp://mirror.dkm.cz/pub/sabayon/iso/Sab ... md64_G.iso

JesseGersenson

Post by JesseGersenson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:55 pm

(my first/other message is awaiting moderation)

in short - Robert please make a 64-bit Linux compile.

Sabayon Linux (sabayonlinux.org) is a friendly development env.
search their mirrors - the 64-bit Gnome version will have the filename:
Sabayon_Linux_5.5_amd64_G.iso

karakaniec

Post by karakaniec » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Damir Desevac

Post by Damir Desevac » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Stop spamming please. These versions have been posted here some time ago.

I see you have been spamming on other forums as well, same old garbage... I f you have nothing new to share better you stay away from posting junk.

Damir