Houdini 1.03a Tops Rating List

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
michael13

Re: Houdini 1.03a Tops Rating List

Post by michael13 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:59 pm

thx you sir i am looking now for the log file ?

sir you engine is a monter !!!it is beating r4 in every way i am playing with an i7 .

thx you for this great engine !!!now you have to make table bases work !!!when you gonna release a new version sir???

happy23

Post by happy23 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Robert Houdart wrote:Houdini sends some extra information about the usage of Large Pages to your chess GUI, you should be able to find it in the UCI log files.
When the Large_Pages option is enabled, and your Windows account has the privilege to "Lock pages in memory", Houdini will send one of the following two texts:
- info string XXXX MB Large Page Hash used
- info string XXXX MB Large Page unavailable (OS Error #), using standard pages

It's important to note that very often the Large Page allocation will fail when you're requesting a large block of memory. Windows memory gets fragmented quite rapidly and Windows will very often not be able to allocate a sufficiently large block of unfragmented memory.
When the Large page allocation fails, Houdini will fall back to using normal memory.

You can quickly test this outside your chess GUI. Simply double-click the Houdini exe and enter the following texts in the console:
- setoption name Large_Pages value true
- setoption name Hash value 512

I don't expect any situation in which enabling the "Large_Pages" option would generate a performance loss.

Robert
Hello Robert,
I put in the following texts in the console and uci shows unavaible Large_Pages. It is only using standard. How do i work around this? I have 6 Gb ram and only assign 128 MB to hash inside polyglot. Pls help, thank you. Oh wait... it shows exactly like you mention above. So it's working right???

michael13

Post by michael13 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:47 pm

is there any news about am update of houdini???

Eduard Nemeth

Post by Eduard Nemeth » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:08 pm

michael13 wrote:is there any news about am update of houdini???
The Programmer of Houdini wrote in ccc about a Houdini 1.1 release ~ 15th Dec. 2010.

ED.
Peace be with you!

Razor

Post by Razor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:21 pm

Could you provide a link to ccc - google gives too many possibilities I'm not sure I have enough years left in my life to check them all! :o)

Eduard Nemeth

Post by Eduard Nemeth » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:30 pm

Razor wrote:Could you provide a link to ccc - google gives too many possibilities I'm not sure I have enough years left in my life to check them all! :o)
Hi!

Here:

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 92&t=36318

ED.
Peace be with you!