A word of gratitude to Mr. Kevin Frayer

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
Marc Greenhaw

A word of gratitude to Mr. Kevin Frayer

Post by Marc Greenhaw » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:07 am

I just wanted to let everyone know how helpful Kevin has been to me regarding computer chess. I approached Kevin a little over 1 year ago. I knew nothing about book making or how it was put together. Kevin let me test a lot of his books on playchess with an ultimate goal of someday teaching me to make my own book. Well, it has been a long journey in the book making process, but one that was well worth it. The reason I say it has been a long journey is because I have a 2 year old daughter and a baby on the way that is due on December 1st of 2010 and I can not dedicate as much time as I would like to computer chess and all that comes along with it. Kevin has been very patient with all my family duties and worked around my schedule to help me in the book making process. I can now make my own book from scratch and I have a good solid basis as to how Kevin makes his books. I have reached 2740 on playchess using Kevin’s book making techniques. Kevin has recently incorporated a new technique to his book making that I still don’t know how to do; he is a couple of steps ahead of me still. I am by no way saying that his book making technique is the best one, but what I can say is, that it has been very successful for both him and me. If you want to learn how to make books, I suggest you go to his website. I would name his web site on here, but I am not sure if it is against the rules. You can retrieve his website on my profile here on the forum.
The amazing thing about this is that Kevin never once asked me for any type of payment for helping me. On numerous occasions I have offered to pay him or send him money on pay pal and he has refused any type of payment. He told me that he does not do this for the money, but only because he enjoys chess and wants to pass his knowledge to others. I am very grateful that there was someone out there kind enough to teach me all they knew about computer chess like Kevin Frayer. I hope to someday when I get older to contribute back to the computer chess world as Kevin did and teach the younger generation. I know that Kevin’s ultimate goal in teaching me was not to get a name for himself or anything of that matter, but to pass on his teachings to others like myself. The goal here is to get all, which are interested in computer chess a solid foundation and enjoy it to its fullest and pass on the knowledge.

Mr. Kevin Frayer your legacy will live on in the computer chess world.

Marc Greenhaw