Deep Shredder 12 vs. Shredder 12 on single core?

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
AnthonyTheSage

Deep Shredder 12 vs. Shredder 12 on single core?

Post by AnthonyTheSage » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:59 am

I was recently reading a post discussing the speed increase of making an engine specifically for single core. So I decided to test Shredder 12 vs. Deep Shredder 12. I always thought these were the same engines with multi threads enabled or disabled. But surprisingly the Deep version, which is opposite to what I expected, seems to run faster on a single core 2.8 p4. The deep version runs roughly 20 nodes per sec faster. They appear to be different engines, even preferring different moves in certain situations. In most situations it also seems Deep Shredder 12 gets deeper quicker, although there is the odd one that Shredder 12 searches deeper. I'm assuming that Deep Shredder 12 would be stronger because in most situations its faster and deeper. I'm currently running a 5 min gauntlet with both engines against Stockfish 1.8, Rybka 3, Naum 4.2 to see which is stronger. I using silversuite with the same starting positions for both gauntlets. Hopefully I can get quicker results this way without running thousands of games. Anyways, so far it does appear that Deep Shredder is in fact stronger on single core. Does anybody else have these two engines, so they can corroborate my results. Just check to see if they run at the same speeds, and check some positions see if they are giving you the same results. Does anybody know if this is common with other engines? for example Deep Rybka vs. regular Rybka? I'm wondering if Shredder 12 prunes differently expecting slower hardware?