How to use Multi PV and why is it useful?

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
halestorm

How to use Multi PV and why is it useful?

Post by halestorm » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:32 pm

I keep reading that Houdini 102 doesn't have MultiPV but 103 will. I know it's used for analysis, but how exactly would a user actually use this feature in other engines to study or analyze a game?

Uly

Re: How to use Multi PV and why is it useful?

Post by Uly » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:12 pm

It's a way of asking the engine what other moves besides the best one they like, so you know which one you should investigate.

But for interactive analysis where you visit several positions several times, the searchmoves feature is more powerful for this (unless the engine has a learning algorithm).

Swaminathan

Post by Swaminathan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:52 am

You can analyse your own games and see if your move matches with those of engines, if not at which rank it matches the engine's in multi-pv.

sometimes my move matches 2nd best move given by the engine, sometimes the 4th - I'll see the 1st best and understand why it's so much better than the one I had made. Also evaluation differences.

Very useful learning tool.
Logo made by Ulysses P (Vytron)
Co-Authored with Dann Corbit: Strategic Test Suite

Lostark

Post by Lostark » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:17 am

Swaminathan wrote:
sometimes my move matches 2nd best move given by the engine, sometimes the 4th - I'll see the 1st best and understand why it's so much better than the one I had made. Also evaluation differences.Very useful learning tool.
In fact that's the way I train regularly and when there is a team of two or more engines then I can find out which engine is preferring my moves (in my case Junior 7 ) and I can draw solace from that...

I also do a bit of psychology training and ask my students about all possible moves in a given position and after a brainstorming session I ask them - " Can someone tell me what would a Super GM play, what would an IM play and what would a 2000 rated player play in this position ?
(of course I would introduce them using the names of well known GMs and IMs and also some local player at 2000 rating range)...
That way the boys get excited and if some one keeps touching the SGM and GM levels regularly we get a reward system to give a personal motivation....
I am sharing this in the hope of getting further inputs from experienced trainers out here

Thx.