Back to R3/IPPOLIT(/R4?)

Code, algorithms, languages, construction...
marcelk

Re: Back to R3/IPPOLIT(/R4?)

Post by marcelk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:03 pm

hyatt wrote:I don't have an opinion on Rybka 3 at all. I am convinced of just one thing in the ip*/robo*/etc + rybka 3 discussions.

ip*/robo* are reverse-engineered from _something_. Based solely on 40+ years of programming and dealing with compiler optimizations in a compiler course I taught for years. Humans don't write code that looks like that. Not ever. Whether it was modified _after_ the RE was done, I can't say, because I have not tried to ascertain where the original code came from. But I am _certain_ that the "family" is the produce of RE first. Whether something was modified after that is unknown. Whether the source was Rybka 2, Rybka 3, or something else is also unknown. So for those, I have no opinion.

I have a strong suspicion that they came from Rybka. Based on the author's comments. But whether it is a clone or a derivative I have no idea, and it really doesn't matter enough to cause me to want to step through that very messy code and compare it to something that is more naturally written.

Do you believe that ippolit and friends to _not_ come from Rybka at all? Because they certainly came from somewhere, and do not represent original programming effort. At least, of that I am certain. Unless it was written by aliens that think like an optimizing compiler when they write code, that is...
First. It could be that these programs were derived from Rybka through some sort of
'cleanroom reverse engineering'-like process. When I read the comparison document
last year, I noticed that all concepts had not just been reimplemented, but also reconsidered,
changed, refined, expanded or simplified (deliberate or not, it is hard to guess).

Second, the sources that -we- see might just as well be compiled+decompiled versions
of itself for obfuscation reasons. Either that or there really was a lot of Vodka involved
when writing it.

Richard Vida

Post by Richard Vida » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:26 pm

marcelk wrote: Second, the sources that -we- see might just as well be compiled+decompiled versions
of itself for obfuscation reasons.
Looks like all sources were merged into single file and all macros expanded with standard C preprocessor. This was often done for performance reasons in the times when compilers were unable to do inter-procedure optimizations across compilation units. (GCC even today has some problems with this).

veritas

Post by veritas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Richard Vida wrote:
marcelk wrote: Second, the sources that -we- see might just as well be compiled+decompiled versions
of itself for obfuscation reasons.
Looks like all sources were merged into single file and all macros expanded with standard C preprocessor. This was often done for performance reasons in the times when compilers were unable to do inter-procedure optimizations across compilation units. (GCC even today has some problems with this).
:difus_19

Guess Doc Hyyat missed that trick in his 40 years of compiling hey Richard

i am told...

an expert mingw compiler has done exactly what you say,adding all ivanhoe files in 1 because mingw (gcc) did not have lto (link time optimization) but the recent mingw does and the latest mingw compiles peter pan did does not have this problem anymore

marcelk

Post by marcelk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:28 pm

veritas wrote:Guess Doc Hyyat missed that trick in his 40 years of compiling hey Richard
Take a look in crafty.c and be surprised...

BB+

Post by BB+ » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:28 pm

marcelk wrote:Take a look in crafty.c and be surprised...
Yes, clearly IPPOLIT "stole" the "idea" of one-file compilation from Crafty. :lol: :roll:

veritas

Post by veritas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:44 pm

BB+ wrote:
marcelk wrote:Take a look in crafty.c and be surprised...
Yes, clearly IPPOLIT "stole" the "idea" of one-file compilation from Crafty. :lol: :roll:

oh really.. docs memory seems very selective

is yours

wold you care to delve into it and show crafty was the first to use this apparently"forgotten" by compiler idea , and Doc originated it before doing a Vas and making more accusations against those who have given all a damn site more than you have to computer chess ?
or just toss your inferences about willy nilly ?

BB+

Post by BB+ » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:47 pm

BB+ wrote:Yes, clearly IPPOLIT "stole" the "idea" of one-file compilation from Crafty. :lol: :roll:
[...]or just toss your inferences about willy nilly ?
I guess my sarcasm was not sufficiently appreciated. As RV (and others like Wylie Garvin and GCP, I think) have noted, it was a standard practise back in the day. It was a bit surprising to see with it IPPOLIT, and I speculated it might have been more trying to get it to compile (under Windows?) than for performance reasons. As usual, the IPPOLIT "squadron" has compensated (at the level of humour) by now having files that include themselves. :P

veritas

Post by veritas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:51 pm

BB+ wrote:
I guess my sarcasm was not sufficiently appreciated. As RV (and others like Wylie Garvin and GCP, I think) have noted, it was a standard practice back in the day.
since when has the use of word "STOLE " been merely sarcasm ?

see my user name ?

Google it then attempt to use it before continuing to slur the reputation of the one group that has done more for computer chess this last decade than ANY others and GIVEN there work FREELY

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:15 pm

BB+ wrote:
BB+ wrote:Yes, clearly IPPOLIT "stole" the "idea" of one-file compilation from Crafty. :lol: :roll:
I guess my sarcasm was not sufficiently appreciated. As RV (and others like Wylie Garvin and GCP, I think) have noted, it was a standard practise back in the day. It was a bit surprising to see with it IPPOLIT, and I speculated it might have been more trying to get it to compile (under Windows?) than for performance reasons. As usual, the IPPOLIT "squadron" has compensated (at the level of humour) by now having files that include themselves. :P
Seems probable, but who knows really since the whole Ippolit thing is a bit strange. Clearly a work of one with strong background in either chess or game programming in general.

As for legality of it, and much to the admittance of the authors that they used a debugger to obtain ideas from Rybka, I doubt there is anything illegal about it. There are no known Rybka algorithm or technology patents. Being that there's a distinction between software patent and copyright, I am betting the program is quite legal.

P.S. I am not a lawyer.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

veritas

Post by veritas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:32 pm

kingliveson wrote:
BB+ wrote:
Seems probable, but who knows really since the whole Ippolit thing is a bit strange. Clearly a work of one with strong background in either chess or game programming in general.

As for legality of it, and much to the admittance of the authors that they used a debugger to obtain ideas from Rybka, I doubt there is anything illegal about it. There are no known Rybka algorithm or technology patents. Being that there's a distinction between software patent and copyright, I am betting the program is quite legal.
+1 8-)