How to compile from Source Codes and the Tools

General discussion about computer chess...
Prima

How to compile from Source Codes and the Tools

Post by Prima » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:55 am

I need help/instructions here from experienced compilers on Windows platform. I have a Windows 7 64-bit Intel Q6700 with 8GB RAM and AMD Phenom X6 8GG RAM. I want to compile on my Intel PC. I have downloaded the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional trail web installer. With the download of the intel compiler, this is where I need help as to what features to select before downloading it. From the intel link provided to me, here are the option/features excerpts from the Intel compiler download site...which I have no clue on:

Code: Select all

You have activated Intel® Composer XE for Windows* (formerly Intel® Compiler Suite Professional Edition for Windows*) for evaluation.
You have 30 days to evaluate the product which will expire on 2/18/2011.

Select product:
Skip Navigation Links.
	Intel® C++ Composer XE for Windows*
	Intel® Visual Fortran Composer XE for Windows*

Loading... Please wait... 
Select file:  You must select a file to download.
Product for 32-bit/x86-64bit development (724 MB - Download Manager use recommended for this file)
Product for 32-bit development (391 MB)
Product for x86-64bit development (481 MB)
Redistributable Libraries for IA-32/Intel® 64 msi files (11 MB)
Redistributable Libraries for IA-32/Intel® 64 msm files (16 MB)
SPIRAL add-on for IPP (48 MB)
Select delivery mechanism:  Delivery mechanism is required.
Browser (http)
Download manager for slow or undependable connections
(requires plug-in installation – pop-up blockers may hide plug-in request)

[b]Download Now [/b] 
I have I'm interested in compiling mainly 64-bits. What features should I select that is appropriate for my PC? Thanks for any guidance.

kingliveson

Re: How to compile from Source Codes and the Tools

Post by kingliveson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:29 pm

This is another aspect where Linux surpasses Windows. Most of theses tools are pre-installed or can be selected during setup, or even easily added after the system has been installed.

You can definitely use CLI with ICC, but it is best used with Microsoft Visual Studio IDE. That said, I suspect you do not have much background in programming which might be the best place to start. C is a easy language to learn, and there are galore of resources around the web.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Prima

Post by Prima » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:23 pm

kingliveson wrote:This is another aspect where Linux surpasses Windows. Most of theses tools are pre-installed or can be selected during setup, or even easily added after the system has been installed.

You can definitely use CLI with ICC, but it is best used with Microsoft Visual Studio IDE. That said, I suspect you do not have much background in programming which might be the best place to start. C is a easy language to learn, and there are galore of resources around the web.
Thanks for the directions. I wasn't sure what CLI is but base on this topic, I'm guessing it's this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Lan ... astructure
I'm not exactly sure what ICC is other than some Intel C++ Compiler? I hope my interpretation of ICC is correct here.

And yes you're right; I'm not familiar with programming. I'm not sure how long it takes to learn C language but I hope it's less than the 30-day trial period of intel's compiler trial version. It appears to have been activated once I followed the link to download.

Thanks for your input Kingliveson. I'll definitely google this C language.

Peter C

Post by Peter C » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:58 am

I would not recommend you learn C. It's simple, but not really easy to learn. Also, it is neither functional nor object oriented, and encourages bad programming habits.

I'd personally recommend you learn Python, which is really easy to learn (I picked up the basics in about a day, but I have some programming experience), is object oriented, has some functional aspects, and has a very clean, readable syntax.

Peter

Prima

Post by Prima » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:35 am

Peter C wrote:I would not recommend you learn C. It's simple, but not really easy to learn. Also, it is neither functional nor object oriented, and encourages bad programming habits.

I'd personally recommend you learn Python, which is really easy to learn (I picked up the basics in about a day, but I have some programming experience), is object oriented, has some functional aspects, and has a very clean, readable syntax.

Peter
Okay thanks for the suggestions. I'm not familiar with the various computer languages but I'll definitely look into python.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 pm

CLI in this context is Command Line Interface. As for learning Python instead of C, I would say when you're learning C, you are learning the core of programming -- and also, you can pickup any other language easily. If a month is all you have to learn a programming language, it is better not to waste your time.

Edit: lest I discourage you...you can definitely get the basics in that time frame. It takes practice though...
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Peter C

Post by Peter C » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:53 pm

If you want him to learn "the core of programming" you might as well have him learn assembly. :roll:

C is ancient. It doesn't support object oriented programming, it doesn't support functional programming (aside from function pointers, but those hardly count), and you have to manage your own memory. And don't tell him to learn C++, that takes years to learn.

He could easily learn Python in a month. He could be writing useful things in Python in well under a month. The only problem is that he has a C compiler. :P So, yeah, I guess he should learn C.

Peter

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Peter C wrote:If you want him to learn "the core of programming" you might as well have him learn assembly. :roll:

C is ancient. It doesn't support object oriented programming, it doesn't support functional programming (aside from function pointers, but those hardly count), and you have to manage your own memory. And don't tell him to learn C++, that takes years to learn.

He could easily learn Python in a month. He could be writing useful things in Python in well under a month. The only problem is that he has a C compiler. :P So, yeah, I guess he should learn C.

Peter
Just to confuse matters further, if you want to learn something C-like that you can use immediately for useful stuff, learn Javascript. You can run it in your browser, build Flash and DashBoard with it, it looks like C, doesn't have silly whitespace rules like Python and will prepare you for nearly any kind of other programming you move on to.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:22 pm

doesn't have silly whitespace rules like Python
One of the main reasons why I dislike Python.

Prima

Post by Prima » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:55 pm

Kingliveson, Peter C, Jeremy Berstein, and BB+,

I appreciate all these inputs. Much as I admire programming in itself, I want to learn how to compile a Windows executive file (or chess engine) from any given source code using the Intel 30-day trial version or any free compiler that is equally compatible with Windows/Intel PC platform.

I have come across few forums where an individual asks how to compile from source codes and the replies given suggests that executive file compiles can be compiled from source codes using the 2 tools I mentioned in my original post;
1. Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional trail web installer and
2. Intel 30-day free trial Compiler

Can these 2 tools accomplish my task of attempting to compile chess engines? If yes, do I just place the main source code within the Intel compiler and it will automatically compile a chess engine for me?

Also from the Intel Compile download page excerpt I pasted in my original post, what sub-components,for the Intel compiler, should I select to be included in the main Intel compiler before the final download? Would it be better if I selected all compiler sub-components? Thanks immensely for any feedback.

Kingliveson, I'll look into the CLI. Thank you all.