One Thing in Common

General discussion about computer chess...
Ted Summers

One Thing in Common

Post by Ted Summers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Naum, Gull, Critter, Stockfish, and Houdini all have something in common other than being chess engines. Their successes will never be mentioned on Chessbase.com. Only their defeats will ever make the light of day there. Like Rybka before them, only when they ink a deal with Chessbase will there successes ever make the light of day on the Chessbase Newspages. :roll:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Prima

Re: One Thing in Common

Post by Prima » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Ted Summers wrote:Naum, Gull, Critter, Stockfish, and Houdini all have something in common other than being chess engines. Their successes will never be mentioned on Chessbase.com. Only their defeats will ever make the light of day there. Like Rybka before them, only when they ink a deal with Chessbase will there successes ever make the light of day on the Chessbase Newspages. :roll:
Of course! Critical thinking and unbiased consumers easily "see" the underlying issues and what goes on with Chessbase' operating system. Chessbase also has influence on the CCRL/CEGT test sites. To support this affiliation between Chessbase and CCRL/CEGT, I provided a link to my post in OpoenChess on what I noted, for the year 2008, between Naum 4.1 (or 4.2?), Deep Shredder 12, and Rybka 2.3.2a.

Just to give you a quick briefing, remember when Naum 4.1 (or 4.2?) and Deep Shredder 12 finally surpass Rybka 2.3.2a by a significant ELO? I think Naum 4.x and Deep Shredder12 overtook Rybka 2.3.2a with at least 40 - 50 ELO minimum in 2008 (and this is a conservative figure). Yet why wasn't this seen in CCRL and CEGT in 2008/2009?
Here's my post http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=887

BB+

Post by BB+ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:51 am

I think Naum 4.x and Deep Shredder12 overtook Rybka 2.3.2a with at least 40 - 50 ELO minimum in 2008 (and this is a conservative figure).
I was never able to figure out your claim, particularly for DS12. Here are the CCRL 40/40 numbers:

Code: Select all

Rybka 2.3.2a 64-bit 4CPU	          3127
Deep Shredder 12 64-bit OA On 4CPU	3126
And for CEGT 40/20:

Code: Select all

Rybka 2.3.2a x64 4CPU      	3072
Deep Shredder 12 x64 4CPU  	3064

Chris Whittington

Post by Chris Whittington » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:30 pm

Ted Summers wrote:Naum, Gull, Critter, Stockfish, and Houdini all have something in common other than being chess engines. Their successes will never be mentioned on Chessbase.com. Only their defeats will ever make the light of day there. Like Rybka before them, only when they ink a deal with Chessbase will there successes ever make the light of day on the Chessbase Newspages. :roll:
it is quite common and natural for a company with its own media arm to use that arm to maximise its own revenue stream and, by extension, to minimise competitors. There is not one capitalist controled media channel / forum that doesn't do it. Moral: only associate yourself with fora, magazines etc that are not capitalist controlled.