the wonderful world of logic and the "clones" issues

General discussion about computer chess...
stvs

the wonderful world of logic and the "clones" issues

Post by stvs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:46 pm

i wonder if in this world of chessengines, ppl has lost some of their logic....
after 2 years from first "clone" issue i have noticed sonething crazy
results: officials or stuff or supporters of rybkachess, ccc, chessbase, ccrl cegt test sites, have banned-deleted-didnt allow to name the "clones" AND THE SAME TIME ALL THESE PPL ADMITTED THAT DOWNLOADED-USED-TESTED THESE "ILLEGAL ENGINES" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRIVATELY heh ...they banned muted and deleted posts and they use these "illegal" engines!!!!!!!!!!!!

can u imagine the stuff of a big software company to deny someone to name the "illegal-stealed-software" and the same time that
company doesnt care if u admitted that u have downloaded and used it, also u know that the stuff of the company uses that software !!

madness? hipocrisy? so a real question: is illegal software or not pls YES or NO any other answer will be a poor trick

Uly

Re: the wonderful world of logic and the "clones" issues

Post by Uly » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:18 am

I think at Rybka Forum is acknowledged that using the "clones" is as bad as piracy. Since there's nothing wrong/illegal about using Pirate Rybka as long as you own Rybka legally, there's nothing illegal about using them in such cases.

So, the pretext of not allowing names to be mentioned in Rybka Forum is to protect people that don't own Rybka legally from knowing about and downloading them (i.e. wishful thinking), but people that own Rybka legally can freely test the "clones" privately (such as in The Edge subforum.)

stvs

Post by stvs » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:35 am

so do u say if i buy rybka legally i can use houdini and its legal..so if i buy a software its legal to download the same
(but cloned-improved)software pirated from torrents for example hmm interesting.so if there are 15 "clones" with different playing styles and are stronger i can download legally 10-15 engines cos iam legally rybka owner.but according the law if one program is illegal-pirated u cant use it
even if u have legally the original program ! .there is not exception if u have bought or not the same program. then the software companies
have to search who "legally" downloaded pirated software ! i dont know that term of copyright sorry.

Robert Houdart

Post by Robert Houdart » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:19 am

You can use Houdini 1.5 in a perfectly legal way and without limitations for non-commercial applications.
This applies whether you've bought Rybka or not.

Uly

Post by Uly » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:06 am

Just like people can download Pirate Rybka and companies won't go after them :P

tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Robert Houdart wrote:You can use Houdini 1.5 in a perfectly legal way and without limitations for non-commercial applications.
This applies whether you've bought Rybka or not.
What can happen if someone were to use it in a commercial application?

Robert Houdart

Post by Robert Houdart » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:09 pm

tomgdrums wrote:What can happen if someone were to use it in a commercial application?
The first step would be a polite letter.

Robert

tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Robert Houdart wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:What can happen if someone were to use it in a commercial application?
The first step would be a polite letter.

Robert
What would you consider a commercial application?

stvs

Post by stvs » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:05 pm

congrats robert for your work,seems ( as svidler admitted) the majority of super GMs use houdini now.so i have one proposition ,
u have got a lot defamation,insults etc. wouldnt be a good reason for u to take some legal measures against them ? i mean ofcourse law suit
my father is lawer and afaik just a small sample of these post against u ,its enough to bring a law suit and too easy to catch them
i had a chance to talk with my country " pursuit of electronic crime" http://www.dart.gov.gr/NewsInner.aspx?n ... &nwc_id=22
email omada@dart.gr and i can assure u that u can wipe out them easily within hours. they can communicate with other countries in
europe union fast. if u want any help i can send u pm thanx.

Robert Houdart

Post by Robert Houdart » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:18 pm

tomgdrums wrote:What would you consider a commercial application?
Two examples:
- Including Houdini in a chess database package
- Using Houdini to provide an analysis service on a chess web site