Classical or Chess960?

General discussion about computer chess...
Hagen

Classical or Chess960?

Post by Hagen » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:07 am

If I ever bump into a GM on the sidewalk and we discover mutual interests like playing chess...I'd be willing to play this GM only on condition the game be in Chess960. If he/she refuses...I'd simply move on. But the question also masks a deeper issue - whether playing classical chess is viable anymore these days.

As you've been reading and studying via computer software...odds are you couldn't possibly survive any tournament unless you've had plenty of time analyzing lines via Rybka, Stockfish or whatever you choose to use. But eventually given enough time...you and your opponent will have perfected the lines in whatever opening system you choose to study and this can lead to theoretical draws. But if this happened...what is the point? Isn't it the point to try winning the games of chess? if games you play in various opening systems have been heavily analyzed by your opponent...chances are you won't beat that person no matter how good your rating.

So then the issue of Chess960 starts popping up alot. Chess software engines are starting to support it, like Stockfish, Daydreamer and Tornado. I think it was the late Bobby Fischer who had the opinion if you really wanted to test an engine's strength playing chess...you would turn on the kill switch and stop using opening books. Chances are if you're booked up on a line and play the variation against the engine might end up showing much faster whether the software is as good as people claim or whether it's the chess opening book which determines the engine's chances to win.

Personally I'd rather play GMs using Chess960...provided they accept the challenge. Second...I would refuse playing classical chess against GM's using Classical Chess precisely because it's been so heavily analyzed. GM's would clearly have a big advantage over someone like myself. If I'm maneuvered into an opening system that I'm not familiar with...then I'd lose the game even before getting to the endgame. But one really big advantage to Chess960 would be this...chess players wouldn't need to have any ratings to start playing this variant. Anyone can learn to play this chess variant without worrying about opening theory which would be a big plus to getting more people interested in playing the game.

Cubeman

Re: Classical or Chess960?

Post by Cubeman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:39 am

I agree and think that FIDE and top GM's should advertise the virtues of chess 960.I play competitive chess and enter national competitions either one day rapid or week long classical time controls.Lately I have been quite busy in my work and have not the time or wish to study all the latest opening theory and so have cut back on my participation at these various competitions.I find the whole routine of trying to find what my prospetive opponent likes to play and then having to get the latest theory on those lines and sub variations a complete turn off and can make any competition a rather dull affair not to mention the not being able to sleep at night with all those variations floating around in my head.I am in my late 30's and I wonder that if all tournaments were ran as Chess960 if there will be a bigger turn out at these events.

JudthoRaj

Let's start with an open board...

Post by JudthoRaj » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Chess 960 is fine - but I always thought it kind of fell between two stools. It's different enough for chess enthusiasts to resist it, because they've invested so much time into classical chess. But, it's still a chessboard, chess pieces and a line of pawns on the 2nd and 7th ranks - i.e. similar enough to chess to put off people who want something different.

In 1990, as a 13-year-old kid, I wanted something different and started on a new chess-based game, called judtho. 20 years later, I'm happy with it.

For 2 players, play starts with an empty 12 x 6 board, players alternating to place 16 pieces in a 6 x 4 space with 2 new pieces (the Prince and Princess).

But the game can be played with 3 or 4 players on a 12 x 12 board.

Check it out at http://www.judtho.com

I'm looking for a programmer who could write this for PC and would be happy to negotiate a fee.

Many thanks,

Rick