Programmers Open Letter to ICGA on Rybka/Fruit

General discussion about computer chess...
BB+

Re: Programmers Open Letter to ICGA on Rybka/Fruit

Post by BB+ » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:44 pm

it has transpired that there is evidence that pre-Fruit Rybkas contained significant portions of Crafty,
One of these I have corroborated (the Edwards TB ep code). Another I currently have doubts about, as the offsets in the structs in Rybka and Crafty do not match. This might because we haven't found the right Crafty version yet, or because this Rybka version deleted some of the struct members. Or it might be that Rajlich managed to accidentally make a typo somewhere in the pawn_hash clearance, just as Bob did -- coincidences do happen.

I think Zach has found more evidence of re-use of Crafty code, but it is not public yet. Once the extent of any copying is understood, the weightiness of the copied elements must be explored. It seems that most of it (currently) involves a "Crafty chassis" for more mundane things, while search/eval seem to have been replaced, at least to some degree. I'm not sure (say) whether CCT6 would have accepted Rybka if the extent of Crafty overlap had been known -- that's probably just a hypothetical inquiry. Recall also that this was merely a "private" version of Rybka, so having Crafty parts might not be so derelict for some purposes. All of this is somewhat tangential to the Fruit/Rybka story per se, though it obviously has some circumstantial impact.

orgfert

Post by orgfert » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:49 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:One last time I am not an employee of Hiarcs or playchess. I have never been paid 1 penny by either.
Did you have to pay for your copy of Hiarcs?

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:00 pm

orgfert wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:One last time I am not an employee of Hiarcs or playchess. I have never been paid 1 penny by either.
What a strange question as I have 6 machines at home testing new betas every week and no I did not pay for them but I did pay the ellectricity bill.

bnc1

Post by bnc1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
orgfert wrote:
What a strange question as I have 6 machines at home testing new betas every week and no I did not pay for them but I did pay the ellectricity bill.
It's a perfectly legitimate question in my view.

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:48 pm

bnc1 wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
orgfert wrote:

Do you think beta testers should pay for each engine they receive?

bnc1

Post by bnc1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
bnc1 wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
orgfert wrote:

In your case YES, in my case NO . :mrgreen:
Nice try at attempting to divert attention to an unrelated topic..

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:58 pm

bnc1 wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
bnc1 wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
orgfert wrote:

hmm who is diverting the topic? You asked a question and you got an honest answer.

I am quite happy to not answer any questions relating to the ICGA Panel and leave you all to your conspiracy theories if that is what you would prefer?

Uly

Post by Uly » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
orgfert wrote:
Then it could be said that you've been paid for your work in software instead of money.

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Uly wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
orgfert wrote:
Then it could be said that you've been paid for your work in software instead of money.
I sent you a free version of Hiarcs when you were a moderator on the Hiarcs forum so I guess you are an employee to. Come on this is crap. Vas sends me Rybka for free we send him Hiarcs. We send Hiarcs to lots of other programmers and GM's as do other authors. What is your point?

bnc1

Post by bnc1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
bnc1 wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
bnc1 wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
orgfert wrote:

hmm who is diverting the topic? You asked a question and you got an honest answer.

I am quite happy to not answer any questions relating to the ICGA Panel and leave you all to your conspiracy theories if that is what you would prefer?
I didnt ask any question ...I just commented that the original question was legitimate in my view