Ippolit and derivatives will never be favorably accepted.

General discussion about computer chess...
thorstenczub

Re: Ippolit and derivatives will never be favorably accepted

Post by thorstenczub » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 pm

why do you forbid to promote or link to other chess programs ?
is hiarcs so weak that you cannot stand links to other chess programs ?

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:06 pm

thorstenczub wrote:why do you forbid to promote or link to other chess programs ?
is hiarcs so weak that you cannot stand links to other chess programs ?
lol nice try but I won't be the one to take this thread off topic.

Eduard Nemeth

Post by Eduard Nemeth » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:20 pm

OK, sorry, I am Off Topic, but only this:

1. I can see only few players played with Hiarcs on playchess.
2. Also beta-testers of Hiarcs play more with other programs on playchess. :roll:
Peace be with you!

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:23 pm

Eduard Nemeth wrote:OK, sorry, I am Off Topic, but only this:

1. I can see only few players played with Hiarcs on playchess.
2. Also beta-tester of Hiarcs play more with other programs on playchess. :roll:
So? Playing on Playchess is fun it is not beta testing.

maybe you can make a song about it on your Guitar?

Meanwhile what do you think about the serious discussion going on in this thread?

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:26 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
thorstenczub wrote: this was done by censoring the name of the engines in his forum,
in other commercial forums such as CCC and hiarcs forum.
Naming of the engines was never banned on the Hiarcs forum just promotion of and links. There are several discussions about them.

Welcome to a free and open community Harvey. First, as it must be addressed. You should know I have nothing personal against you or Rob. I was ticked that you were in position to mediate when I and many others felt Lieske was misbehaving, but you sat there and didn't do what was right -- and even began to defend that which was indefensible. A company based and operated in the United States would not and could not take advantage of customers the way your employer did. It would have ended up in court. That is that.

I find your statement funny though. How do you differentiate between mentioning and promoting? If I asked a question like, 'is it this site's policy that we can't use RobboLito,' is that mentioning or promoting?
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

thorstenczub

Post by thorstenczub » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:28 pm

its NOT off topic to discuss in this thread why hiarcs forum forbids links to
other chess programs.

Hiarcs is a commercial forum and has an interest to show hiarcs in the best light.
giving a link to a stronger freeware program is something that attacks the commercial hiarcs
forum, and therefore they delete it.

just a plein commercial decision.

its not a forum to discuss computerchess. its a forum to advertise hiarcs.

Eduard Nemeth

Post by Eduard Nemeth » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:29 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote: So?
Discussions with you have no Sense.

Therefore: Good night!
Peace be with you!

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:30 pm

kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
thorstenczub wrote: this was done by censoring the name of the engines in his forum,
Naming of the engines was never banned on the Hiarcs forum just promotion of and links. There are several discussions about them.

Welcome to a free and open community Harvey. First, as it must be addressed. You should know I have nothing personal against you or Rob. I was ticked that you were in position to mediate when I and many others felt Lieske was misbehaving, but you sat there and didn't do what was right -- and even began to defend that which was indefensible. A company based and operated in the United States would not and could not take advantage of customers the way your employer did. It would have ended up in court. That is that.

I find your statement funny though. How do you differentiate between mentioning and promoting? If I asked a question like, 'is it this site's policy that we can't use RobboLito,' is that mentioning or promoting?
I think it is hilarious all you guys are trying to hijack this thread. That is all I have to say.

Taner Altinsoy

Post by Taner Altinsoy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:31 pm

thorstenczub wrote:
Taner Altinsoy wrote: Interesting indeed. But where does Rybka 4 gets in the picture? I mean if he were not able to write Rybka 3 and had someone else write it to him and if he didn't have the code how did he create rybka4? On the other hand if we say he was fully capable of writing Rybka 3 this explains how Rybka came to be but then why would he have someone else to write Rybka 3 for him?
Rybka4 is not made by the same programmer who did Rybka3.

when the programmer of rybka3 left the company and left vas without sources,
without possibility to do anything, no updates etc.
vas was mainly "busy" making sure the "clones" = freeware versions that came from the programmer who did rybka3, should have no impact on his sales.
this was done by censoring the name of the engines in his forum,

also it was important to forbid people to use these engines on playchess.com.

vas hired a new programmer for doing rybka4.
he used sources of rybka232 and continued them to the rybka4 version we have now.
Do you have supporting evidence for your claims? I thought Rybka 3 and 4 have very similar characteristics and evaluation which is also confirmed by Larry Kaufman.

Assuming you are right and that the programmer left Vas without sources isn't it terribly hard to find another programmer to write a program better than Rybka 3? I cannot imagine Vas being so dependant on another programmer for writing Rybka. Just my opinion.

Taner

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:35 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
kingliveson wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

I think it is hilarious all you guys are trying to hijack this thread. That is all I have to say.
Ah, I see you are still using the old defensive tactic of "hijacking/spamming" a thread. :)
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen