FIDE Rules on ICGA - Rybka controversy

General discussion about computer chess...
BB+

Re: FIDE Rules on ICGA - Rybka controversy

Post by BB+ » Fri May 01, 2015 12:45 am

syzygy wrote:I didn't follow computer chess in those years
Lucky you... I managed to get re-interested in it (after Deep Blue) while in Bristol in 2007. Been a time-suck ever since.
syzygy wrote:but I have the impression that "tensions" that developed from 2006 to 2010 have much to do with what followed after.
I managed to worm the failed 2007 Rybka/Junior negotiations (overseen by Levy) into this, which would probably be the start of any "anti-Vas" attitude if one existed (or mutual bad blood). There could also be a lump of little things, like: Rajlich only personally showed up 2006 (having Hans operate in 2007-10), and entered as "Rajlich" that year (6 months after Rybka was commercial) to avoid the commercial entry fee mark-up; Rybka chose not to enter the "Software" championship in 2010 (competing only in the Open/Blitz with the cluster, even though Hans was already in Kanazawa); I've also heard some stories about things in the wake of the 2007 loss in the Zappa match in Mexico (probably rash comments/actions that were later re-thought).

But Levy's first Feb 2011 email should have been something more like: "Hi Vas, as you probably know, there's a lot of talk about cloning these days, and now particularly Rybka and Fruit. Have you seen Zach Wegner's document on this? I am preparing an article about the general topic for ChessVibes in the next couple of weeks, and I'd like to quote your comment on it."

As for Rajlich, if one is to take a negative view of his attitude toward "rules", one might peruse the Freestyle events, particularly the 8th (and final one). He, or more properly his wife, was sanctioned for "account-sharing", namely there were 5 "teams" with Rybka 3 betas in the preliminary round, and it so happened that "Rajlich" was the one of these that had the bad luck and did not qualify for the final. His wife's "Rybusia" account did qualify, but she was playing in the European Individuals on the weekend of the finals, so Vas took over. This was deemed against the Rules (5.1), and in the end "Rybusia" was refused prize money (but not "disqualified" as far as I can tell/remember).

There are a number of side issues, particularly the fact that the 7th Freestyle saw a lot of people with multiple entries/accounts, and the rules for the 8th were particularly changed to prevent this. I guess Rajlich thought it was more of a "X physical people = X entries" concept, but I don't think that was the intention. [I even asked Ingo Althöfer, arguably the creator of the Freestyle concept, about this in Tilburg 2011, and he said that always, the idea was that the principal person must make the final decision on moves, and this could not be delegated en masse]. He had some communication with the TDs about a related issue one or two days before the preliminary round, so he could have asked for a clarification if needed (then again, he probably never figured that he would manage not to qualify while Rybusia would). The alternative side issue was the [winning] Italian contigent, who openly admitted sharing information/analysis during games (though they each made their own moves), of which 2 of the 3 qualified for the final, partially due to a rather dodgy intra-Italian game which could easily have been thrown. [Larry Kaufman was also forfeited for not being on the server at exactly the start time of one round (he then withdrew), which was probably a wise rule for the preliminary round, but not the finals]. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the sponsor dropped out after this. :) [And the previous 7 Freestyles were not exactly a rosy view either].

In the aftermath, Rajlich got an opinion from Stewart Reuben, and eventually made a final plea (note that he lists himself first on the "Rybusia" team, even though he was technically entered as "Rajlich" and his wife was "Rybusia"). There was also much talk about the "vagueness" of the rules (the inquiry to Reuben did not touch that subject, as Rajlich seemed more concerned about procedural matters), who had the authority (and when) to make the [effective] disqualification, etc. All in all, the issue flurried the Rybka forum for the next month or so (until the next batch of R3 Elo-gain threads emerged).

Incidentally, another (throughly famous) sporting incident involving over-turning a umpire's decision (by the American League president -- the game was duly finished being "played under protest", though the result of the umpire's decision coincidentally was the final out of the game) was the Pine Tar Incident, that I remember well from my youth. [My recollection was that there were some players who had been traded and/or gone on/off the disabled list in the interim, and there were side disputes with handling them too, but Wikipedia just lumps this under the placing of Mattingly as 2nd baseman]. One does have to like the "base-touching affidavit" which follows upon the noted: league officials held a strategy session to anticipate tricks the Yankees might use to prevent the game from continuing.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Fri May 01, 2015 1:51 am

Rebel wrote:First of all I was making a logical case why Rajlich should have been granted a reasonable time period to put up a defence. It took you and Zach 1½-2 years to compile your documents?
I would argue that Rajlich was granted a "reasonable" time period to put up a defence. Why should the ICGA have had only 21 days to answer your EC complaint, which took 2 years to compile/amend? Was that "reasonable"? Further, these time quantifications are bogus, as neither Zach nor I worked full-time on this, and neither would VR have been expected to do so. Given my knowledge of preparation times, I would guess that (at most) it would take Rajlich about 20-30 hours to prepare a full defense (some of this could be out-sourced), or approximately one hour a day for the next month. [If nothing else, at the end of a month of some amount of effort he could tell Levy more precisely how much more time was needed (and why)].
Rebel wrote:We can change subject if you wish so and talk about the UCI parser. I assume that's what you meant. The link you quoted is Zach's document and does not have a 6.3.2 chapter, but yours has.
Sorry, I had the wrong link. However, the example from the very end of 6.3.2 is not precisely "UCI parser", rather it is the code to delay sending the best move when an infinite search (or ponder) is requested and yet the search ends for some reason (whether this "should" be in the UCI routines [rather than search control] is debatable, but Fruit 2.1 chooses to factor the code this way, as does Rybka 1.0). Also, I agree with a previously expressed opinion that forum debates are useless.
Rebel wrote:But it would be nice if you would have told the full story of the lost source and not only half.
As I had not heard "this half" of the story, I would see no reason for Harvey to know about it either.
Rebel wrote:In December 2012 source code was recovered of an in between R1 - R2 version which was suggested as a base for an indepedent unbiased expert to close the matter once and for all. Levy did chicken out. Like Levy did chicken out to grant Rajlich an appeal via the same circus (Panel | Secratary | Board).
If Rajlich had mentioned this in his "appeal", perhaps Levy would have taken this into consideration after having received new pieces of evidence.
Rebel wrote:As David (see the correspondence) compared the case against Vas with a court case the right to appeal is fundamental. Not sure the laws where you live but here an appeal is granted whether a criminal or civil case.
The right to appeal (which is not quite the same as whether they are typically granted) is only fundamental in criminal cases. See for instance, Article 2 of Protocol 7 of the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, which is entitled Right of appeal in criminal matters. Further, as discussed therein is no right to an appeal if the first trial was already in the highest tribunal, which in your analogy would be the ICGA Board. (Another source is Article 14 Section 5 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights). Even more so, an appeal must be made on suitable grounds -- the short piece given by Rajlich (as quoted in the EC complaint)
Vasik Rajlich wrote:I confirm that I appoint Ed Schroeder as my representative in the request to appeal submitted to the ICGA. I assert I have the right to appeal and the right to be represented at that appeal.
is (woefully) insufficient, and seems more to be asking for the matter to be heard de novo. Finally, if there were any defect regarding a "right" to appeal here, given all the fuss you made about it with the separate emendation, I can certainly expect that Rivello would have noted it, for he is (after all) chief of the Human Rights Directorate of the Council of Europe.
Rebel wrote:Well, it defenitely takes time to notice that every evaluation component is coded differently than Fruit.
However, the time spent in noticing this would definitely be wasted (and Rajlich would not need to do it anyway, as he had already gone forwards and backwards through Fruit, and would be aware of the Rybka coding), as the ICGA's interpretation of Rule #2 was broader than merely "coded differently". For a similar reason, most of your "Rybka Reloaded" document is inutile, as it principally argues concerning something termed "code theft".
Rebel wrote:on February 23, 2011 the investigation started without Rajlich
Though you have often repeated this phrase, I still cannot determine what it means? Is an "investigation" supposed to wait for the accused to agree to be investigated? :? Or do you mean something closer to what syzygy is suggesting, namely that the procedural mechanism should not have been decided without his input?
Rebel wrote:1. There was no code copying.
This should be specified more carefully. There is (to my knowledge) no direct code copying of Fruit 2.1 in Rybka 2.3.2a. Further, any amount of directly copied code from Fruit 2.1 in Rybka 1.0 is small. However, I personally do not think it is zero.
Rebel wrote:... giving Fabien a huge credit in the release note ...
This is not exactly the case. Firstly, said release note(s) were only included in the (free) "beta" distribution for the first few day(s) after the original Dec 5th announcment. Once Rybka went full-commerical (with the subscription to Rybka 1), the "free beta" was removed, and then re-instituted in mid-March, by which time the README had changed. See the sidenote of my RECAP (and note my annoyance therein, which I think was in response to Marcel van Kervinck proposing this argument vis-a-vis ICGA entry forms). [And download the free Rybka 1 version from rybkachess.com if you don't believe me -- the README there is quite different]. Secondly, I don't see how this credit is "huge", I would rather say it is lumped in with a bunch of other generalities.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Fri May 01, 2015 2:53 am

I wrote: "See the sidenote in RECAP" ... on page 29, I should say.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Sat May 02, 2015 11:47 am

syzygy wrote:So in football, the referee can send a player off by showing him a red card, but he cannot at the same time decide the number of games for which the player is suspended. That will be decided afterwards in a procedure that offers certain guarantees to the player.
I am no football fan, but I always thought that a red card meant you would also miss the next game (again the league concept). And maybe yellows in enough consecutive games also sufficed for this in some competitions. From the 2006 FIFA World Cup disciplinary record:
Sanctions against foul play at the 2006 FIFA World Cup are in the first instance the responsibility of the referee, but when he deems it necessary to give a caution, or dismiss a player, FIFA keeps a record and may enforce a suspension. Referee decisions are generally seen as final. However FIFA's Technical Study Group may additionally penalise players for offences unpunished by the referee.
A player receiving a red card is automatically suspended for the next match. FIFA does not allow for appeals of red cards except in the case of mistaken identity. If a player is sent off during his team's final World Cup match, the suspension carries over to his team's next competitive international.
Any player receiving two cumulative yellow cards during the three group stage matches or during the knockout stage matches is suspended for the next match. A single yellow card does not carry over from the group stage to the knockout stages. Should the player pick up his second yellow during the team's final group match he will miss the Round of 16 if his team qualified for it. However, suspensions due to yellow cards do not carry beyond the World Cup finals.
For serious transgressions, a longer suspension may be handed down at the discretion of a FIFA disciplinary committee. The disciplinary committee is also charged with reviewing any incidents that were missed by the officials and can award administrative red cards and suspensions accordingly. ...
The linked FIFA Disciplinary Code has more information (from 2007, but then the "2006"ness of the above was never the point). Article 17.2 and 18.4 say that a red card, either direct on indirect, incurs a suspension (Art 19) for the next game. Articles 46-47 list infringements, and then 48-49 concern disorderliness, which lists up to 6 games and even (at least) year-long suspension (49.1c) for conduct against referees (is spitting really worse than assaulting??). The Disciplinary Committee section (83-124) and Appeal Committee(125ff) carry on in this manner. The referee's disciplinary decisions during matches are noted to be final in 79, and the right to be heard before the DC is enunciated in 101. The jurisdiction of the DC (84) is essentially for any suspension longer than 1 game.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed May 06, 2015 3:54 pm

BB+ wrote:
Rebel wrote:First of all I was making a logical case why Rajlich should have been granted a reasonable time period to put up a defence. It took you and Zach 1½-2 years to compile your documents?
I would argue that Rajlich was granted a "reasonable" time period to put up a defence. Why should the ICGA have had only 21 days to answer your EC complaint, which took 2 years to compile/amend? Was that "reasonable"? Further, these time quantifications are bogus, as neither Zach nor I worked full-time on this, and neither would VR have been expected to do so. Given my knowledge of preparation times, I would guess that (at most) it would take Rajlich about 20-30 hours to prepare a full defense (some of this could be out-sourced), or approximately one hour a day for the next month. [If nothing else, at the end of a month of some amount of effort he could tell Levy more precisely how much more time was needed (and why)].
Well, Vas reached out to David, invited him for a phone call giving David his private number. David refused. Demanded email. Not very polite. Actually quite rude. Of course after the phone call the conversation would continue in email. Maybe Vas had something on his chest to say in private before continuing? Missed chance by David?

Anyway the FIDE EC was quite clear on the poor quality of the David - Vas email exchange, quoting :

In addition, Mr Rajlich was not informed about the existence of real disciplinary proceedings against him nor about the risk to be sanctioned this way. He was informed, and in a very informal way, only about the proceedings concerning “Tournament rule 2” and it is clear –from the exchange of messages between him and Mr Levy- that he was not fully acquainted with the possible multifaceted nature of the proceedings and his right to be heard. One person who is informed that his behaviour could be qualified as a cheating and sanctioned with a lifetime ban is likely to assume different decisions about his defence, in comparison to a person who just know about the risk to be disqualified from a tournament.

Will answer other points in a separte post.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed May 06, 2015 4:28 pm

BB+ wrote:
Rebel wrote:We can change subject if you wish so and talk about the UCI parser. I assume that's what you meant. The link you quoted is Zach's document and does not have a 6.3.2 chapter, but yours has.
Sorry, I had the wrong link. However, the example from the very end of 6.3.2 is not precisely "UCI parser", rather it is the code to delay sending the best move when an infinite search (or ponder) is requested and yet the search ends for some reason (whether this "should" be in the UCI routines [rather than search control] is debatable, but Fruit 2.1 chooses to factor the code this way, as does Rybka 1.0). Also, I agree with a previously expressed opinion that forum debates are useless.
Ah, that's what you mean. Have you noticed that in a version of Glaurung you find similar code? Unless you want to accuse Tord of copying Fruit :lol: here is how it works. About everybody had a good look at the Fruit source and folks see this most elegant way (Tord included) how to code the multi entries of calling search every chess programmer has to have in his program. They like it and use it. That's not copying, that's programmers learning from programmers how to code.

You would have a point of the rest of "parse_go" would show huge code similarities, but I believe we have already gone through that [ http://www.top-5000.nl/fadden.htm ] I think that especially the "ironic part" (for me) is the most convincing point Vas didn't copy, I mean, copy Fruit and then introduce 2 bugs in 10 lines of code is hardly a valid accusation.

Can we drop the copyright issue and move to the interpretation of rule #2?

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed May 06, 2015 5:29 pm

BB+ wrote:
Rebel wrote:But it would be nice if you would have told the full story of the lost source and not only half.
As I had not heard "this half" of the story, I would see no reason for Harvey to know about it either.
Rebel wrote:In December 2012 source code was recovered of an in between R1 - R2 version which was suggested as a base for an indepedent unbiased expert to close the matter once and for all. Levy did chicken out. Like Levy did chicken out to grant Rajlich an appeal via the same circus (Panel | Secratary | Board).
If Rajlich had mentioned this in his "appeal", perhaps Levy would have taken this into consideration after having received new pieces of evidence.
I should have been more clear on that yes, that source code was available, my bad. It's there between the lines.
  • Good morning David,

Two points.

1. I don't understand your refusal to re-open the Rybka-Fruit case. In the past (the WCCC in Graz 2003) the ICGA banned a suspect program (the LIST program of Fritz Reul) because he refused to cooperate in an investigation. Later Reul did cooperate and Reul was reinstated after he handed over his source code to (expert) Dr. Chrilly Donninger who inspected the LIST source code and found it original. So if Reul was granted an appeal I don't understand your refusal for Rybka especially now that a sea of contra evidence is available.

An alternative to the time consuming nature of an appeal is to follow the same procedure as the ICGA did in the LIST (Fritz Reul) case and ask an independent expert both sides agree on and his decision will be final. My suggestion would be Dr. Donninger again. As an intermediator I can lobby for the precedent you set in the LIST case with Vasik.
Nevertheless I think it wouldn't matter much. David was quite abrupt from the beginning. You might find my behaviour towards David vexatious, in reality it shows his unwillingness to a reasonal request with respect a precedent he set himself in the past with Reul.

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Wed May 06, 2015 5:42 pm

Rebel wrote:
BB+ wrote:
I should have been more clear on that yes, that source code was available, my bad. It's there between the lines.
  • Good morning David,

Two points.

1. I don't understand your refusal to re-open the Rybka-Fruit case. In the past (the WCCC in Graz 2003) the ICGA banned a suspect program (the LIST program of Fritz Reul) because he refused to cooperate in an investigation. Later Reul did cooperate and Reul was reinstated after he handed over his source code to (expert) Dr. Chrilly Donninger who inspected the LIST source code and found it original. So if Reul was granted an appeal I don't understand your refusal for Rybka especially now that a sea of contra evidence is available.

An alternative to the time consuming nature of an appeal is to follow the same procedure as the ICGA did in the LIST (Fritz Reul) case and ask an independent expert both sides agree on and his decision will be final. My suggestion would be Dr. Donninger again. As an intermediator I can lobby for the precedent you set in the LIST case with Vasik.
Nevertheless I think it wouldn't matter much. David was quite abrupt from the beginning. You might find my behaviour towards David vexatious, in reality it shows his unwillingness to a reasonal request with respect a precedent he set himself in the past with Reul.
I am guessing that email was from you to David not from Vas?

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed May 06, 2015 5:48 pm

BB+ wrote:
Rebel wrote:1. There was no code copying.
This should be specified more carefully. There is (to my knowledge) no direct code copying of Fruit 2.1 in Rybka 2.3.2a. Further, any amount of directly copied code from Fruit 2.1 in Rybka 1.0 is small. However, I personally do not think it is zero.
What other suspect evidence of copying? What I remember are "setjmp", the separation of 1 string into 2 by inserting NULL, and of course 0.0 ;) I have addressed them [ http://www.top-5000.nl/Zach/rybka2.htm#C2 ]. Did I miss anything?

Surely there is the hashing code issue Richard Vida brought to our attention. Do you have an opinion on that?

Furthermore I am glad with your 2 above statements.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed May 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Rebel wrote:
BB+ wrote:
  • Good morning David,

Two points.

I am guessing that email was from you to David not from Vas?
You are not guessing, you know :lol: Mark knows.

But now that you are here, isn't the request a reasonable one with the Reul case in mind?