Should chess engines get asterisks for official testing?

General discussion about computer chess...
Uly

Re: Should chess engines get asterisks for official testing?

Post by Uly » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:30 am

tomgdrums wrote:And I am not talking about remixes or anything like that. I am talking about the actual piece of composed music.
If engines were songs, then, checking whether a song is a clone of another takes minutes, checking whether a composition is not original takes an expert on the issue (there are experts in video game music, that could know you're using a stolen piece of music from some obscure video game by just listening to it, maybe there's an expert that could recognize obscure material stolen in composed songs, and material that is not obscure is even easier to find).

The same can't be done with chess engines, they need to be reverse engined and the outputs studied for months, the issues aren't comparable.

You can't say "I am not talking about remixes" if the case with engines could be the same of remixes, you stop talking about remixes when your analogy breaks?

I agree with Jeremy, and think that these discussions about music copyright are unrelated to chess engines and we're basically wasting our time.

Macarel

Post by Macarel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:14 pm

Uly wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:And I am not talking about remixes or anything like that. I am talking about the actual piece of composed music.
If engines were songs, then, checking whether a song is a clone of another takes minutes, checking whether a composition is not original takes an expert on the issue (there are experts in video game music, that could know you're using a stolen piece of music from some obscure video game by just listening to it, maybe there's an expert that could recognize obscure material stolen in composed songs, and material that is not obscure is even easier to find).

The same can't be done with chess engines, they need to be reverse engined and the outputs studied for months, the issues aren't comparable.

You can't say "I am not talking about remixes" if the case with engines could be the same of remixes, you stop talking about remixes when your analogy breaks?

I agree with Jeremy, and think that these discussions about music copyright are unrelated to chess engines and we're basically wasting our time.
Agreed! Now if we could get back to those "authorities who are in a position to allow engines to be used for computer ratings". I am dying to know who they may be. It will assuredly be a load off my mind when they release their list of OK engines.

tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:42 am

Uly wrote:

For what it is worth I have never been talking about remixes. You and Dr. Hyatt were. I was trying to interject a different analogy. I was trying to make an analogy to the actual act of composing a work of music. So my analogy didn't break. I was trying to make a point regarding how computer chess might go about clearing up this mess. But it doesn't matter. Sorry to waste your and Jeremy's time.