Stopping the Hyattian-Triumvirate

General discussion about computer chess...
hyatt

Re: Stopping the Hyattian-Triumvirate

Post by hyatt » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:22 am

Sean Evans wrote:
hyatt wrote: Sean is continually unhappy because he gets the occasional "penalty box" one week time-out because of the complaints he causes.
This sentence is bogus, I have not been suspended during your current CCC tenure.
hyatt wrote: If you don't like the current group, feel free to form a team.
Bob, the CCC way of running an election is by individual nomination and then the nomination is accepted or declined. These new "one-party" rules over and over again, is not democracy, that is called communism.

Cordially,

Sean
Over and over? Yet this is the _second_ team-based election we have held. You do realize that we created a poll prior to the last election to see if members preferred teams that have similar ideas, or individual candidates that are first elected and forced to operate as a team. Prior to the last election, that team was completely dysfunctional. One member left. Another left and then came back. Same thing happened the previous cycle. All it takes is one person with radically different beliefs that is unwilling to compromise with the remaining two team members, and things break down. They did, in fact. Badly. The majority said let's first let teams organize so that the dysfunctional aspect is eliminated, and then we will vote for those. Unfortunately the "dysfunctional" people can't seem to find anyone they can team up with. And the rest don't care. I'd prefer to not be a moderator. But somebody must do the job to keep as much junk out of CCC as is possible (some of it yours, by the way). And since I started CCC with a small group of programmers and interested individuals, I am willing to serve on occasion as a sort of "civic responsibility." You apparently only recognize a civic responsibility to complain, gripe, malign others, and so forth. Destructive rather than constructive. It is easy to tear something up. It is much harder to fix it back...

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:31 am

hyatt wrote:
You do realize that we created a poll prior to the last election to see if members preferred teams that have similar ideas, or individual candidates that are first elected and forced to operate as a team.
Was this poll really run? I do not remember it. Do you have a link? The main reason I have not posted on CCC during this mod term is because no such poll was run. Did I miss something?

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:56 am

Harvey Williamson wrote:
hyatt wrote:
You do realize that we created a poll prior to the last election to see if members preferred teams that have similar ideas, or individual candidates that are first elected and forced to operate as a team.
Was this poll really run? I do not remember it. Do you have a link? The main reason I have not posted on CCC during this mod term is because no such poll was run. Did I miss something?
I don't have a link, but remember the discussion. However, there is a _current_ poll running that _still_shows the majority prefer pre-formed teams over dysfunctional individual elected moderators..

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:29 pm

hyatt wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
hyatt wrote:
I don't have a link, but remember the discussion. However, there is a _current_ poll running that _still_shows the majority prefer pre-formed teams over dysfunctional individual elected moderators..
But the poll you claim was run to give a mandate for this never happened.

Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:14 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
hyatt wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
hyatt wrote:
But the poll you claim was run to give a mandate for this never happened.
There never was a poll. CCC has been hi-jacked by Hyatt, as he wants to control everything! We need democratically elected individuals, not self-anointed Bob!

msalzge

Post by msalzge » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:53 pm

I would respectfully suggest that it might it be better to talk things out over a phone call or lunch (if you're in the same city) rather than airing these arguments here.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:59 pm

Sean Evans wrote:There never was a poll. CCC has been hi-jacked by Hyatt, as he wants to control everything! We need democratically elected individuals, not self-anointed Bob!
Bob Hyatt wasn't a moderator when the decision was made to run teams. If I recall, the decision was made by the TCAdmin after some on-board discussion. Whether there was a poll or not, I don't remember. If you have a problem, take it up with Sam Hull. But your insistence that Bob Hyatt is out to take over CCC is a) unbelievably misinformed and b) paranoid.

Jeremy

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:19 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:There never was a poll. CCC has been hi-jacked by Hyatt, as he wants to control everything! We need democratically elected individuals, not self-anointed Bob!
Bob Hyatt wasn't a moderator when the decision was made to run teams. If I recall, the decision was made by the TCAdmin after some on-board discussion. Whether there was a poll or not, I don't remember. If you have a problem, take it up with Sam Hull. But your insistence that Bob Hyatt is out to take over CCC is a) unbelievably misinformed and b) paranoid.

Jeremy
agreed

bhandelman

Post by bhandelman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:23 pm

So I scoured old TalkChess threads to figure out what is going on and what happened. I stopped reading TalkChess about 2 months before Jeremy because of the craziness, and reading his separation post was a big eye opener to me and reminded me why I prefer this forum so much. A short time later Sam Hull recommended the new method. The funny thing to me is Robert Hyatt's first reaction:

"I'd almost suggest that as an alternative, we have an election, after 6 months, you initiate a poll "are you happy with current moderation or should we have a new election 1/2 way thru?" In fact, I'd like to see that option available at any time via a poll, sort of like a "recall election." Whenever the majority become unhappy, it is time for action anyway. Given the ability to get rid of bad moderators, a one year term would be workable."

Sounds pretty opposite of a totalitarian view.

Anyways, there was never a poll because people were universally unhappy with the way the boards were going. The idea was try out a team based moderation cycle and see how it goes. There was no way the outcome could be worse than the previous moderation session, and honestly it has worked out fine. If you get really bored, you can read it here at http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ator+teams and educate yourself.

If anything, Roberty Hyatt should be thanking Sean, Hyattian-Triumvirate sounds like an awesome name for a moderator team.
Benjamin Handelman
ICC/FICS/Playchess - bhandelman

Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Fascinating, so why don't we just close Open-Chess and all flock back to CCC and let Bob decide, which one of your posts meets his personal standards?! :D