A Computer Program to Detect Possible Cheating in Chess

General discussion about computer chess...
User923005

Re: A Computer Program to Detect Possible Cheating in Chess

Post by User923005 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 am

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
User923005 wrote:Suppose he/she uses a computer to prepare a line before the match.
Obviously his analysis only begins after book/opening play is over.

jb
How does he know when the prepared line ended and the reasoning from scratch started?

It's not inconceivable to prepare special lines that are nearly forced out to great distances.

When a computer program tells me that my game is too good because it examined my moves, I am going to throw the computer out of the window, followed by the person who made the findings. Not literally of course, but internally.

Perhaps playing chess is no longer worthwhile, if this is the sort of a thing that we stoop to to examine the truthfulness of the players.

kingliveson

Re: A Computer Program to Detect Possible Cheating in Chess

Post by kingliveson » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:51 am

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
While we all wish that, one day, we'll just wake up and play GM-level chess based on some innate genius we are certain we had from the start, it doesn't work that way. As I understood, he's interested in sample sizes > 1 game: he's generally analyzing match performance. Which is still a small sample, but it's still possible to identify "outliers" based on comparison with previous (and future) games from the same player.

It's not simply a question of catching someone playing excellent moves. It's a question of catching someone making a large number of _improbably_ excellent moves.

jb
The concern is,especially for top rated players, the potential for error increases.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen