PlayChess Machine Room Exclusion Policy

General discussion about computer chess...
Hood

Re: PlayChess Machine Room Exclusion Policy

Post by Hood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:32 pm

HW is very ambitious, too ambitious. if he is not able to prove superiority he will stopp discussion.
One place you can catch him is on the independent (chess) board.
Smolensk 2010. Murder or accident... Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programms. There are programms with undiscovered bugs.
Alleluia.

Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:48 pm

I wonder would a mass e-mail campaign to Chessbase, solve or get clarification on what engines are allowed to play in the engine room and how this is decided. Maybe a letter could be drafted, then copied and signed with the Playchess members handle and email address to address this issue or get some kind of resolution / public statment. Short of asking for Harveys removal as sysop of course. :D I mean I would think that Chessbase would want to keep the customers happy after all. :roll:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:32 pm

This name seems familar ... :o So I guess it's okay!

Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:55 pm

The list is growing now !? :D

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:13 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:These are the PlayChess Machine Room rules:
Compulsory rules:

1. Chatting on a chess server has the same legal status as any verbal or written communication between individuals. Insults have legal consequences, in particular, severe insults and incitement may result in criminal prosecution. Every player can be unambiguously identified through his IP address which is stored by the server. Apart from legal consequences, insults of any kind will be punished by complete bans without further notice, the duration of which is subject to the severe ness of the offence.

2. Here, like everywhere else, it is forbidden to trade commercial programs or engines or to use traded or bootlegged software or engines. Contraventions will be punished, at least by a complete permanent banning of all access accounts and other legal action may be taken against the offender as deemed appropriate. Excluded are, of course, freeware or shareware programs as well as the Nalimov Tablebases which are not subject to any copyright.

3. Boosting an Elo rating by losing intentionally (padding) is forbidden, regardless whether the loss occurs against your own access accounts, friends or relatives. As soon as such boosting is noticed by a ChessBase employee, all accounts of the involved players will be immediately banned. If in doubt, please play friendly games which are not Elo rated.

4. Manipulating your own system (e.g. lag) is unfair and leads to banning. Please schedule lengthy uploads or downloads to a time other than when you are playing.
So, Harvey Williamson, why don't you allow participation of Ippolit, Robbolito, Houdini engines in the PlayChess Machine Room?
Harvey Williamson wrote:Engines with unknown authors have never been allowed so that deals with most of them. As for he rest of your question here is not the place to discuss it.
Here's a new place, custom-created to discuss this issue. So, let's discuss. You are certainly aware that Houdini has an author, which would rule it out of the ad hoc rule expressed above (I use the term ad hoc, since it's not a rule published in the official rules, therefore one might assume that it's your rule -- feel free to discuss that, too).

Jeremy
Congratulations Jeremy, your post I believe seems to have made a difference, at least if what Ted is reporting is true!!
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

JcMaTe

Post by JcMaTe » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:48 pm

I Think there is 4 people that they are really crying Albert Silver,MANSARI,GRAHAM AND ROLF jeje crying like a little baby

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:15 am

kingliveson wrote:Congratulations Jeremy, your post I believe seems to have made a difference, at least if what Ted is reporting is true!!
I don't believe for a second that I had anything to do with it. Most likely CEGT deserves the praise.

Congratulations, though, today was a good day for everyone.

Jeremy

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:48 am

The PlayChess Forum is gone from hiarcs.net. Looks like there may have been a parting of ways. Harvey wrote somewhere (note to legal, this is a paraphrase): "as long as I'm sysop, [the clones] won't be allowed on PlayChess," or something similar -- I can't find the quote right now. Anyway, looks like famous last words.

I don't enjoy the prospect of anyone losing their "jobs", and I hope that whatever occurred was amicable.

Jeremy

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:56 am

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:The PlayChess Forum is gone from hiarcs.net. Looks like there may have been a parting of ways. Harvey wrote somewhere (note to legal, this is a paraphrase): "as long as I'm sysop, [the clones] won't be allowed on PlayChess," or something similar -- I can't find the quote right now. Anyway, looks like famous last words.

I don't enjoy the prospect of anyone losing their "jobs", and I hope that whatever occurred was amicable.

Jeremy

I have always thought Harvey was only a part of the problem with playchess, frequently resorting to "I was only following orders." Holger Lieske needs to be removed, then they will see many people come back.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

BB+

Post by BB+ » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:47 am

From the screenshot, Naum is tied with Rybka with 2 users apiece. Is Houdini 1.5ab-16 the 16-core version?