Whether Rybka 4 Should Be Tested As A Derivative Of "Fruit"

General discussion about computer chess...

Whether Rybka 4 Should Be Tested As A Derivative Of "Fruit" By The WCCC??

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 30

kingliveson

Re: Whether Rybka 4 Should Be Tested As A Derivative Of "Fru

Post by kingliveson » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:58 pm

I voted no! If you want only "original" engines playing, you will have Crafty vs a couple others -- that is the truth. Right now, Rybka is on top so it's a target; that's how these things work. If all commercial engines were forced to open their source code for examination, I would not be surprised how "un-original" most are. The only issue for me is equal-rights for Ippolit family engines.
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

Kevin Frayer

Post by Kevin Frayer » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:59 pm

kingliveson wrote:I voted no! If you want only "original" engines playing, you will have Crafty vs a couple others -- that is the truth. Right now, Rybka is on top so it's a target; that's how these things work. If all commercial engines were forced to open their source code for examination, I would not be surprised how "un-original" most are. The only issue for me is equal-rights for Ippolit family engines.
I voted yes: At this point equality will never be accepted by men who stand to lose a cash-cow. What is required is justice and a redress of a wrong. I do not wish to see the standard sit so high for original work that these commercial engines would be excluded or forced to reveal their so called secrets. However, this is a means to an end. In order to stop the exclusion of others, elitists or profiteers, must sometimes themselves be excluded from the company of good men.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Kevin Frayer wrote:I voted yes: At this point equality will never be accepted by men who stand to lose a cash-cow. What is required is justice and a redress of a wrong. I do not wish to see the standard sit so high for original work that these commercial engines would be excluded or forced to reveal their so called secrets. However, this is a means to an end. In order to stop the exclusion of others, elitists or profiteers, must sometimes themselves be excluded from the company of good men.
Well said :D